Pha´s Protection and Breath Weapons

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Ilderoth
Warrior

Pha´s Protection and Breath Weapons

Post by Ilderoth »

Hi there,

I am currently trying out a level 4 supreme sorceress with lore of light. Last night I had a game with a friend of mine and we encountered a situation in which I cast the large version of Pha´s Protection on all of her units within 12 inch. Next turn my opponent, who played WOC, moved his Daemon Prince and Chimera next to my Executioners (who are within 12 inch of my sorceress) and claims that he is going to use both of their breath weapons. He then rolls a 4+ with his Daemon Prince only and this led to the question how we were supposed to play with the Chimera from that moment on. Does the Chimera lose his breath weapon attack because he has used but to no effect (due to the spell) or does he keep his breath weapon attack because Pha's Protection prevents him from using it? We couldn't decide and in the end agreed throw a dice to keep the game going but we're both curious as to how we should have played it.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Re: Pha´s Protection and Breath Weapons

Post by Dalamar »

If you haven't actually used it, you haven't lost it.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Ilderoth
Warrior

Post by Ilderoth »

Sounds reasonable but the thing is that the spell itself states that you must roll a 4+ on a D6 before firing or the shot (s) is lost. So the first part of the sentence supports your interpretation ("before firing") and the second part supports the other interpretation ("the shot is lost").
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

The shot is lost means you can't just pick a different target since you can't shoot at the protected one.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Well, I would say here that the chimera could no longer use his breath weapon... The shot is fired, but since the spell protects the target from being hit, the shot is lost. No?
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

I fully agree in reasonability, though on the other hand, I have also never seen anyone roll his artillery dice after having failed to roll the 4+ for an artillery weapon to see if it would have been a misfire...
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.