Black Treasures of Naggaroth: experimental items. Update 1.1

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Black Treasures of Naggaroth: experimental items. Update 1.1

Post by Dangerous Beans »

Before I begin (on another good old fashioned Super Long Post :roll:), I'd like to just say how very happy I am with our new book, despite some squandered opportunities with things like beastmasters / scourgerunners, corsair lords, and medusae.

I have started this thread as a reference and also a tip-of-the-hat to our lineage of books that contained numerous different magic items and abilities (eg. Temple of Khaine). With the new books economising of our items I feel that recalling our past and considering how we can tone up / tone down our previous items to fit with our lovely new book would be a great step for those who fancy to do so in friendly pre-agreed games, campaigns and fluff / story line led games like my LGC attempts to put on.

These items also include the ones from our 4th / 5th edition book, the 6th edition one and the 7th/8th ed. one as well as any modifications to our current slimmed down array of items in the new book.

I'll begin by writing the names of every item I've found or felt was appropriate to the druchii from books such as the 5th edition 'Warhammer: Magic' supplement as well as which edition the item appeared associated with the Dark Elves books (I've categorised the books as: 4th/5th, 6th, 7th/8th, 8th).

Later on I'd like to add sections for the Temple of Khaine Skills and Poisons and Beastmaster Taming Techniques.

So without further ado I would like to proudly announce the beginning of...

The Black Treasures of Naggaroth.

Magic Weapons

Destroyer (Malekith - 4th / 5th, 6th, 7th / 8th, 8th)
Used by Malekith the Witchking (+30pts).
Grants Armour Penetration attacks.
Roll a dice for each hit that Malekith scores against an opponent in combat. On a 5+ your opponent must reveal what type(s) of magic items their model has (eg. Magic Weapon, Talisman etc) but does not have to state the magic item's name. Malekith may pick one type for each successful hit roll, on a further roll of a 4+ that item is destroyed. Rolls to wound follow as normal.

Heartrender & The Dark Sword (Morathi - 6th, 7th / 8th, 8th)
Used by Morathi (+30pts).
Paired Weapons. Morathi gains +2 Strength and the Killing Blow special rule against any unit she charges. A character or monster that suffers one or more unsaved wounds from Heartrender & The Dark Sword reduces its Attacks, Strength and Toughness by 1 for the rest of the game. These effects apply immediately. For each unsaved wound caused by Heartrender & The Dark Sword roll a dice, on a 4+ an additional power dice is added to the pool during the start of the the next friendly magic phase. This may not take the pool over the maximum of 12 dice as normal.

Warpsword of Khaine (Malus Darkblade 6th, 7th / 8th, 8th)
Used by Malus Darkblade.
As per the current Army Book on page 56 for Malus Darkblade.

Crimson Death (Kouran 6th - web version only, 8th)
Used by Kouran Darkhand.
As per the current Army Book on page 59 for Kouran Darkhand.

The Executioners Axe (Tullaris 4th / 5th)
See 'The Executioner's Axe of Har Ganeth' below.

The Blade of Harganeth (Tullaris 7th / 8th)
See 'The Executioner's Axe of Har Ganeth' below.

The Executioner's Axe of Har Ganeth
Used by Tullaris (+45pts).
Requires 2 Hands, Always Strikes Last, Heroic Killing Blow.
The model gains +1 attack for every round of combat that the wielder or it's unit wins. The model loses any of these bonus attacks when the model or it's unit loses a round of combat, however the model and its unit cannot pursue due to lopping the heads off their hapless victims! They may make a free combat reform however.

The Red Blades (Lokir Fellheart 7th / 8th, 8th)
Used by Lokir Fellheart (+30 points).
Paired Weapons, +D3 attacks, Re-roll failed 'to-wound' rolls and grants a Parry Save. Opponent's parry Saves may not be taken against wounds caused by the Red Blades as Lokir somesaults over opponents and hamstrings their legs.

Deathsword & Parrying/The Cursed Blade
Used by Crone Hellebron (+20pts).
Paired Weapons, the model counts as having Strength 10 and a Parry Save that works on a 5+.

The First Draich of Death
55pts.
Requires 2 hands, +2 strength, Killing blow. Successful ward saves must be re-rolled for any killing blow wounds caused.

The Slashing Blade of Sorcerous Iron (Kouran 4th)
50pts.
The model gains +1 WS and +1 To Hit. Any rolls of a 6 To Hit grant the model an extra attack that is resolved immediately and may grant further attacks. These extra attacks are lost at the end of the close combat round.

The Claw of Khaine
50pts.
+1 Strength, Armour Penetration. The bearer permanently gains +1 A for each unsaved wound inflicted during a Challenge using the Claw of Khaine.

Sword of Ruin (6th, 7th / 8th)

Venom Sword (6th, 7th / 8th Khainite only)

Hydra Blade (6th, 7th / 8th, 8th)

Web of Shadows (6th, 7th / 8th)

Chillblade (6th, 7th / 8th, 8th)

Draich of Dark Power
See 'The First Draich of Death' above.

Lifetaker (6th, 7th / 8th)

Heartseeker (6th, 7th / 8th)

Caledor's Bane (7th / 8th)

Blade of Spite (6th)

Dagger of Hotek (7th / 8th)

Deathpiercer (7th / 8th)

Souldrender (7th / 8th)

The Knife of Freezing Grief (5th magic) name / ability change: Iceblade?

The Obsidian Blade of Oblivion (5th magic) ability change

Dark Mace of Destruction (5th magic) ability change

The Scimitar of Souls (5th magic) ability change: Soulthirster?

Languishing Lakelui Ghlaith (5th magic) ability change
Lance. Killing Blow. The model has Hatred of all models.

Notes on druchii weapon names: near the back of the 6th edition army book (still the finest book we've ever had in my opinion!) theres a beautifully and subtly detailed page displaying a cold one knight and druchii traditionl armour / weaponry as well as giving druchii names to the spears and repeater crossbows. Weaponry names include: Urathiens (repeater crossbows), Drannachs (spears), Ghlaiths (spineblade - short hand weapon as seen on one of our 7th edition foot dreadlords with the baby dragon), Lakelui (Soultaker - a longer blade that looks like a combination of a sword and spear).

Magic Armour

The Armour of Midnight (Malekith 6th, 7th / 8th, 8th)

Spellshield (Malekith 4th / 5th, 7th / 8th) name change?

Armour of Meteoric Iron (Kouran 4th /5th) name change

Armour of Living Death (6th, 7th / 8th)

Armour of Eternal Servitude (6th, 7th / 8th)

Cloak of Hag Graef (7th / 8th) Malus Darkblade extra item?

Shield of Ghrond (6th, 7th / 8th)

Armour of Darkness (6th, 7th / 8th)

Blood Armour (6th, 7th / 8th)

Notes on Druchii Armour and Costume: same area of the 6th edition army book: Khaitan - a long robe worn by druchii nobility, Dalakoi (strength against death) - mail sleeves and skirt.

Talismans

Heart of Woe (Shadowblade 4th / 5th, 6th web version only, 7th / 8th)

Black Amulet (Tullaris 4th)

Amulet of Fire (Hellebron 7th / 8th, 8th)

Deathmask (6th, Enchanted Item 7th / 8th)

Crown of Black Iron (6th)

Ring of Darkness (6th enchanted, 7th / 8th)

Seal of Ghrond (6th, 7th / 8th)

Heartstone (6th)

Ring of Hotek (6th, 7th / 8th, 8th)

Pendent of Khaleth (7th / 8th)

Pearl of Infinite Bleakness (7th / 8th)

Null Talisman (7th / 8th)

Note on Druchii Talismans & Enchanted Items: same area of 6th edition book. Flesh Hooks are traditional in druchii society, with these Keikalla are hung which are janglers or 'spirit bells' and are considered to ward off malicious sprites and fairies as well as to announce the arrival of a druchii noble. Not found on Assassins or Shades obviously!

Enchanted Items

Potion of Strength (Shadowblade 4th, 6th web version only, 7th / 8th, 8th) apparently a very druchii-like potion!

Helm of the Kraken (Lokir Fellheart 7th / 8th, 8th) apparently an Enchanted Item not Magic Armour?!

Rubric of Dark Dimensions (6th)

Crystal of Midnight (6th, 7th / 8th)

The Hydra's Teeth (7th / 8th) Apparently not a Magic Weapon, but in its original incarnation this was probably just as well!

Black Dragon Egg (6th, 7th / 8th)

Gem of Nightmares (7th / 8th)

The Guiding Eye (7th / 8th)

Cloak of Twilight (7th / 8th Temple of Khaine only)

Wand of Kharaidon (6th)

Cloak of Dark Souls

Cloak of Shadows (5th magic, 8th)

Ruby Chalice (5th magic)

Chalice of Darkness (5th magic) two cloaks and two chalices, both sound suitably druchii-esq however perhaps 2 of each is too much?

Talisman of Ravensdark (magic 5th) slight name change needed, Talisman or Enchanted?

Black Gem of Gnar (magic 5th) it even sounds like its a druchii item!
Change suggestion: 50pts.
Model on foot only. One use only. The player choose to activate the Gem at the start of a challenge. Once activated both models (and mounts) may not do anything: attack in close combat, move, shoot, cast spells, channel etc.

At the start of each Close Combat Phase roll a dice, on the roll of a 6 the item is destroyed and both characters can act as normal. The player whose turn it is may choose to expend one or more power dice at the end of the magic phase to modify the roll by +1 for each dice.

If either character is accompanied by a unit which loses combat and flees then that character is destroyed otherwise both models count as being Unbreakable until the item is destroyed.
Probably too cheap - any suggestions on points cost?!

Arcane Items

Circlet of Iron (Malekith 4th / 5th, 7th / 8th, 8th)

Black Staff (6th, 7th / 8th)

Soulstone (6th only)

Darkstar Cloak (6th, 7th / 8th)

Tome of Furion (6th, 7th / 8th, 8th)

Sacrificial Dagger (7th / 8th, 8th)

Talon of Death (5th magic)

Book of Secrets (5th magic) ...and lies!

Cloak of Mists and Shadows (5th magic) is this in the Vampire Counts book?

Wand of Jet (5th magic)

Skull Wand of Khaloth (5th magic) sounds druchii in origins but is this also in a Chaos Warriors / Vampire Counts book?

Skull Staff (5th magic)

Magic Standards

Banner of Nagarythe (6th, 7th / 8th, 8th)

Hydra Banner (6th, 7th / 8th)

Dread Banner (6th, 7th / 8th)

Standard of Slaughter (6th, 7th / 8th)

Soul Shadow Standard

Banner of Murder (6th, 7th / 8th)

Standard of Hag Graef (7th / 8th)

Sea Serpent Standard (7th / 8th)

Banner of Cold Blood (7th / 8th)

Blood Banner (5th magic)

So there we have it! Next I'll be going through each of the Magic Item lists with a new post each time, write up the various incarnations of the rules (as well as descriptions if I can find them / have the time to type them up so that we can make rules based on the item's description).

If you have any items for these items - whether changes made because the item was underpowered / overpowered in a previous incarnation or if you have new ideas then please post them as although I have a concept of what I have in mind for each item I'd love to hear and discuss other ideas about the items too as this could be a great way to add some rich flavour and background to our favourites of the elven race!

Also any suggestions for new items: especially ones for specific character types only (eg. Death Hags only, Corsair Lord only etc) are welcome although try to keep them simple and realistic please!

Hopefully this'll be a thread for a lot of fun and a constructive outcome, so come on, what have you all got?! :D
Last edited by Dangerous Beans on Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:09 am, edited 9 times in total.
Voodoomaster
Lord General Of Khaine

Re: Black Treasures of Naggaroth: experimental items & abili

Post by Voodoomaster »

Thoughts on Lakelui and Ghlaiths.
Lakelui, +1S and Killing Blow on the Charge (+5pts)
Ghlaith, Pair Weapons, armour piercing (+5pts)
"For every victory there is a defeat, for every defeat there is a victory. My victory, my defeat are for all to see..."
Khael Vraneth, Lord-General of Khaine.
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Great start! Would you have these as mundane weaponry or magic weapons VM? Great to see you back on here again bud :)
Voodoomaster
Lord General Of Khaine

Post by Voodoomaster »

Thanks, kinda just hovering at the moment as not as busy as i used to be.
i would say mundane weapons rather than magical.

my thoughts on Keikalla, i would have them more of a unit upgrade.
Keikall, +1pt per model per unit (5pts for character)
Grants the wearer a 6+ Ward Save against magical attacks
"For every victory there is a defeat, for every defeat there is a victory. My victory, my defeat are for all to see..."
Khael Vraneth, Lord-General of Khaine.
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye

The same too with me VM :) What are you up to these days? I like the idea of your weapon concepts on mundane units; I could see Black Guard or hand warriors being able to switch their weapons. I also like the idea of a Druchii Magic Weapon that is unique to them: the Dark Draich of Death was an example in the past, as was Lifetaker. Hopefully we can incorporate these into the list!

Sooooo... first up the Special Character's magic weapons!

Destroyer and The Hand of Khaine
Destroyer: the classic archetypal Druchii weapon that has changed quite a lot through the ages - it always seemed strange to me that the items that got destroyed were either random or decided by your opponent. Now I supposed this makes it a little less harsh but none-the-less surely Malekith himself would know what to direct his attacks against? In 6th Edition Malekith was granted the Hand of Khaine, a torturous looking gauntlet that gave him some very solid combat power in the form of Strength 6 no armour save attacks. However Malekith was associated with the Spellshield in the previous and post editions.

Possible solutions: The Hand of Khaine is given to another character and Malekith is left with the simple destroyer and shield combo. Or Malekith has the options to 'switch stances'. I love the idea (as Malekith is considered to be quite the consumate warrior) of him being able to switch between the 3, however with as complicated a character as Malekith is already, I feel that this is probably a little extravagant. Therefore I suggest that the Hand of Khaine goes to another, or is open to use by Dreadlords.

I do feel that Destroyer, being often described as wickedly barbed, deserves to have Armour Penetration added to its rules, which also seem to be an appropriate druchii-esque ability. Moreover, roll a dice for each hit that Malekith scores against an opponent in combat. On a 5+ (to represent how hard it is for magic items to be destroyed, and that with ASF these days, Mallie is at a distinct advantage over opponents) your opponent must reveal what type(s) of magic items their model has (eg. Magic Weapon, Talisman etc). Malekith may pick one type for each successful roll and have that item destroyed.

The Claw of Khaine 55pts
+1 Strength, Armour Penetration. The bearer permanently gains +1 A for each unsaved wound inflicted during a Challenge using the Claw of Khaine.

Heartrender and The Dark Sword
I like the new ruling of how one is used after the other. Frankly I think that these rules are fine as they are unless anyone has any other suggestions? I like the idea of Heartrender also giving her some kind of Arcane Item potential too - like a Lance and Staff in one. I think that this would give her a reason for charging into combat and giving her a reason to use her stats.

"any unsaved wounds caused grant Morathi that number of extra power dice during her next magic phase. If the killing blow slays an enemy, Morathi gains the number of power dice equal to that model's wound value.

Warpsword of Khaine
Seems great as it is, as it's always been!

Blade of Ensorcelled Iron 45pts
A classic item, but one that probably needs a slight name change to make it more evil! It used to simply give +1 to hit, however the BRB has an item for that already so I suggest that this one be changed somehow.

Perhaps +1 WS and +1 To Hit? Any rolls of a 6 to hit grant an extra attack.

Crimson Death
The Captain of the Black Guard's weapon and I firmly believe it should remain in his hands! No change is needed really is it? Str 6 all the time? That sounds pretty reasonable to me!

Deathsword and Cursed Blade/Parrying Blade
The new Parrying Blade name is an improvement however the rules are little pants now being as Hellebron has almost no protection. I guess that her ASF with massive bundles of Str 10 attacks is her defence now so whether or not she really needs a blade to protect her. I like the idea of her comparing her WS to the opponents and that the difference is the number of attacks they lose but thats also probably too powerful unless you give them a minimum of 1 attack!

Here's my current suggestion however:

Paired Weapons, the model counts as having Strength 10 and a Parry Save that works on a 5+ (+20 points to Hellebron)

The Red Blades
I felt rather underwhelmed at Lokir's new weapons when you consider this guy's heritance and the amount of plunder he'd come across - re-rolling to wound on Str 4 isn't really a big deal as the loss of attacks makes the guy a sub-par Master (armour save-wise) albeit with Regeneration. Saying that I think that the previous incarnation of the Blades that gave an attack bonus based on enemy ranks was a silly one. Heres what I'd suggest:

Used by Lokir Fellheart (+30 points to Lokir's cost)
Paired Weapons, +D3 attacks, Re-roll failed 'to-wound' rolls and grants a Parry Save. Opponent's parry Saves may not be taken against wounds caused by the Red Blades as Lokir somesaults over opponents and hamstrings their legs.

The Blade of Harganeth
The previous form of the current 'The First Draich' and its one that looks similar to our old Dark Draich of Death from the Lost Shadows (Albion) official campaign. I believe that this should be the current incarnation for The First Draich personally. Har Ganeth is all about spilling blood and getting crazy off that happening!

Used by Tullaris.
Requires 2 hands, always strikes last, killing blow.
The model gains +1 attack for every round of combat that the wielder or it's unit wins. The model loses any of these bonus attacks when the model or it's unit loses a round of combat, however the model and its unit cannot pursue due to lopping the heads off their hapless victims! They may make a free combat reform however.

The First Draich 55pts
Requires 2 hands, +2 strength, killing blow. Successful ward saves must be re-rolled for any killing blow wounds caused.

Note on the Executioners Axe: I decided that the title of this item was not unique enough and so combined it into the Blade of Harganeth to create "The Executioner's Axe of Har Ganeth". This tips the hat to Tullaris's old item and combines it with the title of its more recent incarnation.