Why we choose the units we do

This forum is now locked until it is time to start the process of writing the new Dark Elf army book.

Well done to all those who took part!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Why we choose the units we do

Post by Dark Alliance »

Following ReaderofPosts thread about 'Army list clarification' here is a list I intend to use against O & G. 2150 points as I see a lot of US tourneys use this size army.

Beastmaster with Master of the Wild, spear, the Tome of Furion and a manticore

Level 4 with the Hand of S'Tarra and a scroll ( general )
Level 2 with the Darkstar Cloak and a scroll

24 City Guard with full command and 6 rxb upgrades
10 Warriors with shields
10 Warriors with shields and rxbs
5 DRs with rxbs

10 Executioners with full command and the War Banner
5 Cold One Knights with full command
5 Harpies

15 Black Guard with full command

The Level 4 is there to attack the larger units of Goblins and Orcs from a safe distance as the hand negates the need for mobility, so no pegasus or dark steed.

The BM with his Master of the Wild ability is there to use his magic with the same tactical finesse one applies to bound spells. The manticore having obvious benefits with psychology testing.

Harpies and DRs to adopt usual roles with the CG and rxb Warriors then picking off fanatics / Giant.

The 10 Warriors are there to protect the Executioners from missile fire and to go for any snotling swarms, and to act as a bump stop or bait unit for any Boar Boys that may be present. The DRs can be used to take on Shaman, whether in a unit or not. The Exe's will act as a flanking unit foe the CG.

Black Guard to take on the Black Orcs, hold them up while the Knights hit 'em in the flank.

I really see CG and BG becoming a core centrepiece to my infantry based lists and the more I think about it, the more I believe that our Spearmen can be used as the shielding unit for the Executioners. I like this list because I am able to take a variety of units and MORE units than I usually get to take in my cavalry list.

I figure it working against the Skaven too, and believe it could irritate the hell out of Wood Elves as well.
Reader of posts
Shade

Post by Reader of posts »

Great list. Now we really know why you have taken those choices :P . We should make the clarification offcial, so that everyone will do it.
I look forward to your report.
War is not about who is right, but who is left.
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

This 3000pt list was chosen to go up against Dwarves.

Highborn - cold one, ha, sdc, shield, Gauntlet of Power, Rod of Doom leading 9 COKs with full command and the war banner

Lvl 4 with the Hand of S'Tarra and a scroll on foot
Lvl 2 with the Well of Souls causing an I test on 2d6, dark steed

BSB with ha, sdc, dark steed, Dread Banner leading 9 DRs with herald and rxbs

4 RBTs

18 City Guard ( 6 x 3 ) with full command and 6 rxbs
19 Corsairs with full command and the Standard of Slaughter, led by a noble with ha, Cloak of Nightmares and gw
20 Corsairs with full command and Banner of Relentless Assault

10 Executioners with ha, full command and 5+ KB

The DRs were there to advance along the flank, causing sufficient threat to warrant a war machine or two keeping an eye on them. Backed by a level 2 with Shadow Lore they could be very nasty early on. The knights to be deployed on the other flank threatening pretty much the same thing really and there to add weight in the way of flank charges to units baited by any of the Infantry blocks.

The Exes are there in a small number to act as a flanking threat on the opposite side of the Infantry blocks. The Banner of Relentless assault will allow one unit of Corsairs to go hell for leather across the battlefield while the CG offer covering fire and a back up charge. The RBTs to take on his war machines along with the level 4. The Infantry blocks to be deployed close in centrefield, and in a staggered formation to threaten counter charges.

Overall plan is to offer threats on both flanks at the same time to try and split his army in two whilst trying to weaken his missile support with magic and the RBTs. Once the Dwarf Infantry blocks are either weakened or his line is split the chargers go in.
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

What type of Executioners are you using in that list (considering we have so many variants being tested right now)?
3 bots slain in Khaine's name.
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

GrogsnotPowwabomba wrote:What type of Executioners are you using in that list (considering we have so many variants being tested right now)?

;) It's in the list already - heavy armour and 5+KB :D