Some changes to the forum are coming

Druchii.net Announcements! Whenever something is IMPORTANT, it is in here - PLEASE READ!!!

Moderator: The Dreadlords

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Some changes to the forum are coming

Post by Daeron »

Greetings everyone,

The site will be undergoing some changes.

First and foremost, the forum will be updated to a newer version. I have delayed this upgrade for as long as I could because it might break the style of the forum. Unfortunately, the platform is becoming so old we're being charged extra by the host to keep the legacy server running.
The upgrade will go as follows:
  • In the coming week, I'll be testing the migration on a local copy and get all the kinks out of the upgrade procedure.
  • When the tests have been completed, a demo of the new version will be made avaialble on http://test.druchii.net for validation. You will be requested to check out the test forum and provide feedback, if possible.
  • After validation, a date will be set to take the forum offline, perform the upgrade and bring us back on the new forum. The forum shouldn't be offline for more than a few hours at most.
I hope to complete the whole migration before the end of July.
After Druchiinet has successfully migrated, a similar migration will be scheduled for Ulthuan.net.

Secondly, the Dnet Tools will be undergoing a rebrand as part of a new project. When I moved the calculators to Druchii.net I had hoped that it would strengthen Druchii.net's brand within the WFB community. It enjoyed some initial success but I don't feel the two sites have been contributing to each other for a while. My hope is that a new brand, as a stand-alone site, will have an easier time reaching out to new communities and become a "known" site. The project will improve the Combat Calculators to support complex rules, allow users to make up their own rules and provide a calculator for Warhammer 40K. More information on the project will follow. The launch date is (currently) set to 1st of August.

The Dnet Tools will not be removed. I'll keep the site running to support all the hotlinked images and charts that people have made in the past.

Cheers!
Daeron
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: Some changes to the forum are coming

Post by Calisson »

Thank you Daeron, your dedication is appreciated as ever.
Will the website Asrai be moved as well?
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Calisson wrote:Will the website Asrai be moved as well?

Yes. The goal is to bring all software up to date.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

I imagine you informed the two other websites as well (I haven't visited them in ages).
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Yes, though the reminder is appreciated :)

- The stiff breeze
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

The testsite is available:
http://test.druchii.net/phpBB3

Please check if "everything" works. That is: your login, your posts, your access rights.

the style and portal mod could not be migrated. I will try to find a replacement. I took a new style. I will be porting the headers soon.
Since I have no real issues with the new board, I'll give it a week. If no issues were reported by the end of next week, I'll finalize the migration for the real site.

- The stiff breeze
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

On ulthuan.net, I've been informed that a migration for phpBB 3.3 to Discourse is not supported, but a migration from phpBB 3.2 to Discourse is.
If preferred I can upgrade to phpBB 3.2 instead of 3.3, which should be sufficient to remove the support cost. That way we remove the cost (and urgency) and keep our options open in the future.

- The stiff breeze
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Daeron wrote:The testsite is available:
http://test.druchii.net/phpBB3

Please check if "everything" works. That is: your login, your posts, your access rights.

the style and portal mod could not be migrated. I will try to find a replacement. I took a new style. I will be porting the headers soon.
Since I have no real issues with the new board, I'll give it a week. If no issues were reported by the end of next week, I'll finalize the migration for the real site.
Working fine for me.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I redid the migration, this time to phpBB 3.2, so that a potential migration to Discourse remains supported.

EDIT: While this should allow us to upgrade the PHP Version .. I just learned that it supports only up to php 7.2, and we need at least php 7.3 to get rid of the additional support expense. I will be testing if phpBB 3.2 can run on php 7.3. Officially, this is not supported.

- The stiff breeze
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I'll postpone the migration to the start of next week.
My wife's taking me on a weekend :D I would hate to rush the migration to get it done in time and then disappear, leaving you all without support for 3 days.

- The stiff breeze
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Enjoy your week-end! :)
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Here we go. The upgrade has begun. We hope to be back by tonight, with the upgraded forum.

- The stiff breeze
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

We're back! Please report any issues you may encounter.

- The stiff breeze
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Lost the decorum...
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Yeah. The style is lost. This seems to be the best replacement. I will be adding logos and customisation in the coming days.
My hope is that, by working on this style, future compatibility will improve

- The stiff breeze
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

So be it if it is what it takes.
Thanks for taking care of our good old friend.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Daeron wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:30 pm We're back! Please report any issues you may encounter.
From the admin side, I am still able to delete an unwanted user. :D
However, I had to use the "GENERAL/Quick Access" link which was working,
rather than the "USERS AND GROUPS" which was not (General Error - Cannot find module).
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Thanks for the report. That should be fixed now.

I will try to customize the style in the coming days. I think a slightly more neutral background, a pink highlight and our logos should get us going :)

- The stiff breeze
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Another technical change has been completed, where we upgrade the version of PHP itself. Everything seems to be working, but should you encounter an issue, please report it and I'll look into it asap.

- The stiff breeze
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

If you need help with the style images please let me know - I have all the old PSD file i used to create the headers still.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I would appreciate the help :)
But... I would recommend to wait a bit longer before putting in a lot of effort in the style. People are considering a migration to another platform. I have not upgraded to the latest version of phpBB yet, but only to the last version which still supports a migration to the other platform. If we would decide to stick with phpBB, I would recommend upgrading to the latest version. This might break some styling as well or force some rework on the custom parts.

- The stiff breeze
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Okay - I'm happy to wait.

Just drop me a message when you are ready and I can do some work for you once the upgrade is done.
Bobba Looba
Corsair

Post by Bobba Looba »

To be crudely honest, those headings were awfully 00's and gave the forum a very outdated feel, even though they were made with dark elves scripture and iconography in mind.

Personally, I prefer this modern and efficient look and feel.

Maybe change only the colour?

(Sorry, no offence meant)
Cthelthmoore
Trainee Warrior

Post by Cthelthmoore »

Looking good!