better hydra?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Decius
Slave (off the Altar)

better hydra?

Post by Decius »

I would like to add a hydra to my army. But, I do not like the model. What would you suggest as a better replacement? In 5th, I used a Ral partha hydra but she is rather small compared to the GW model.
Slerac fellblade
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Slerac fellblade »

Could convert your own using dragon parts, hydra parts, warmaster parts and things of that nature.

You can e lazy and do what someone i know did and use a Carnosaur and say your hydra has yet to lose any heads.

In one of the white dwarfs way back they used a dragon tyanid bits and small ncks made of green stuff to make an upright hydra. looked pretty decent. they also used 5th edition saurus heads.

Using a combination of both of these ideas in the white dwarf they did a thing on making a engine of the gods in the teenyweeny list of sotek. You coul follow their instructions and aument as you see fit.

In the end it is really up to you.
Ian: We are trying to help as many starving children as possible
Me: Wait a day and there will be less of them
Ostron
Assassin

Post by Ostron »

Slerac Fellblade wrote:Could convert your own using dragon parts...

To save Icon Hack the trouble:

His WE dragon to hydra conversion

Though he'll be the first to tell you that hydra is about 3x as expensive in time and work than the mundane GW one.

It might be worth it to figure out what, precisely, you don't like about the regular hydra before you start converting. For instance, if you just don't like the look of the heads, replacing those is probably easier than re-doing an entire model.
Decius
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Decius »

The body just seems to much like a piece of "blob or droping " to me. I am looking for a more serpant-like body. Although, I have been toying with a more spider-like body. Any thoghts as to this? Yes, 8 legs and a serpant colection of heads!
Slerac fellblade
Malekith's Best Friend

That would be weirdly violent.

Why not look a movies with Hydras in them and see what you like from each design they put forth then decide what you want.
Aachil lathanast
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Aachil lathanast »

Like you I also dislike the current GW hydra so when I decide to include one in my army I will probably do something like this:

http://www.pbase.com/kharon/image/8173207

http://www.pbase.com/kharon/image/8173211
Weak perish so that the strong can live. It is the law of nature. It is the law of the Druchii.
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

WOW that hydra is really good looking, i love its theme. (mmm dead High Elves and horse to go)
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Slerac fellblade
Malekith's Best Friend

Is the horse an official part of the mini or do you just put it there for it's killamajig emphasis?
Aachil lathanast
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Aachil lathanast »

Slerac Fellblade wrote:Is the horse an official part of the mini or do you just put it there for it's killamajig emphasis?
No, the horse is not an official part of the minnie since the minnie itself is a conversion ( GW Dragon + DE Hydra heads).
Weak perish so that the strong can live. It is the law of nature. It is the law of the Druchii.
Pariah mk.231
Noble
Location: The Eastern Steppe, assaulting the Great Bastion of Cathay ... well, Australia actually.

Post by Pariah mk.231 »

Personally, I think the current hydra looks like some massive, mutated dog. And thats the only reason why I never included one, but never got around to converting one. I'm a fan of lots of infantry, not monsters anyway, so there was no driving desire to field one.
Formerly Marlus Chi Kai

In all ov da 'ole Orky race, der ar too kindz ov ladz an' only too. Der'z da one stayin' put in 'is propa place, an' da one wiv 'is foot in da uvver one'z face.
- Gurgit Trollpuncha