Vykiel the Monstrous---A good addition to the armylist!

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

Vykiel the Monstrous---A good addition to the armylist!

Post by Prince of arnheim »

I like the sounds of this guy.

Does anyone know what kind of armour he has?

The ability to take Hydras as a special choice sounds awesome.

I like this idea alot cause I can take 2 Reapers and a unit of 13 Black Guard for my rare choices as well!

Why the heck does he have a Sword of Might though?
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

i hate him, he is just a silly character GW thought up for Nemesis crown, and it didn't look like they worked on him much at all. And they gave him an alright rule. Though not many people have more then 1 hydra. ANd sword of might with ight armour? I prefer to leave Vykiel at home, if you ask me.
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
D'jihurccen
Executioner

Post by D'jihurccen »

actually i think the biggest benefit of the rule is not taking multiple hydras, but as Prince of Arnheim said, It allows you to take a hydra without closing out your precious rare slots, (well precious for some i guess) meaning the CoB, BG, and of course reapers aren't getting booted for the hydra. Having not debased myself into buying the current hydra model, i haven't gotten a chance to experiment with it, but i imagine this character opens up some really interesting list possibilities.

:edit:

As far as equipment goes, we kinda got gypped. i dont think anyone would kit out a BM on manti they way they have. Maybe the armorless swordweilding BM is the new thing to do?
Dark moon Host (druchii) w/d/l 9/2/4
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

Let me remind everyone that he is not a legal character outside the confines of a Nemesis Crown Mega-Battle in the United States, and he will never be legitimized as an army book character because of his special rule.

And yes, he's worthless as a model. It's the army comp rule that you take him for (and, when you look at it, it's not so hot, either).
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Well as far as I can see his rule is ussless, our special slots have better stuff in them and I would gladly swap a rare for a special choice. You also canot take more than two hydras in a 1000 point list which is the only point value he is legal in.

Drainial Shadowheart wrote:220 multiplied by 6=1320 and thats without any charactors or core units, its impossible to fit more than 4 hydras into your army.

Add to this the cost of the charactor and two units of ten warriors and you only have 170 points left so you can't buy a third hydra (thanks for that Vogan) Making his special rule usless.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Khelmor wrote:i hate him, he is just a silly character GW thought up for Nemesis crown, and it didn't look like they worked on him much at all. And they gave him an alright rule. Though not many people have more then 1 hydra.
Almost makes you think that GW wanted to sell more hydrae don't you? I wonder why.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Walrusm3
Cold One Knight

Post by Walrusm3 »

I never get along with my hydras (Sam things keep breaking no matter how much care I give them) and one of my Hydras got piled drived by a tree man (lost five wounds in one turn) they aren't very could at Monster v monster fights and it was the reason I got that thing was just to laugh at how I beat someone else's monster.
Sanity... is for the weak!
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

You think thats bad, in every single one of my games when ever my hydra charged anything, be it a chaos knight or (more ususaly) the lowliest goblin the hydra killed one and the apretises killed one, then the hydra either died or ranaway, not joking every single time.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Gentleman of Moderation
Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

Hydras are meant to be a flanking/support unit. Of course they can't charge in on their own as they will only cause a couple wounds on average. You need to support them with a unit that some numbers like Dark Riders or Witch Elves.

And that is why I like being able to take 1 Hydra as a special choice. I can make the perfect beastmaster/slaveherder list with Witch Elves,Shades,Executioners and a Hydra for my Special Choices and still have the 2 Reapers and another Hydra or COB for my rares.....

This might be a sign of things to come in our new armybook. Similar to how Wood Elves get core Eternal Guard and Dwarves gettting Stubborn Hammerers with their Lord choices. We will get a Hydra as a special choice for including a Beastmaster. I think that would be totally awesome.
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Prince of Arnheim wrote:This might be a sign of things to come in our new armybook. Similar to how Wood Elves get core Eternal Guard and Dwarves gettting Stubborn Hammerers with their Lord choices. We will get a Hydra as a special choice for including a Beastmaster. I think that would be totally awesome.

Well, it would at least give players a reason to bring the guy to a battle...
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Ahem. I still bring Hydra's to battle. There a support, flanking, fire breathing chariot. they work great against low toughness core troops if your playing against say, the empire. "They have cannons" i hear you cry, but fear not. That's why you have harpies and DR to take care of those pesky gunlines. And if you get your hydra stuck into combat quickly, your player won't be able to fire at you for your in CC.

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Lordofthenight
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Lordofthenight »

Could someone provide a link to the guy?
Punishment leads to Fear. Fear leads to Obedience. Obedience leads to Freedom. Therefore, Punishment leads to Freedom.

Kuyoz Nightkiller
WS: 4 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Repeater Crossbow, Short Sword, Shade Cloak, Light Armour
5 throwing daggers, 90gc
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Akimoto
Noble

Post by Akimoto »

i think we are all missing the point though, the rules it gives state that "War Hydras may also be included as Special choices, Rare choices, or both" now i dunno about the rest of you but i'd find very entertaining to field 6 war Hydras in a 2000pt battle (even if it would cost like 1320 pts) just throw in a couple of 20 spearmen units and and you character guy, and have fun.

If i was just having a friendly match and i placed that on the table, i don't think any opponent would know how to deal with it
Bad beast

Post by Bad beast »

Sirist wrote:Let me remind everyone that he is not a legal character outside the confines of a Nemesis Crown Mega-Battle in the United States, and he will never be legitimized as an army book character because of his special rule.

And yes, he's worthless as a model. It's the army comp rule that you take him for (and, when you look at it, it's not so hot, either).

actually all the Nemesis Crown Characters are legal outside of the scenario, so long as you don't use their special mega battle only rules (hence why all the characters were given items out of the army book)

you will notice at as with all the characters they are simply perfectly legal combinations of equipment from the mundain and army specific items, and low and behold if you add it up they come to the exact amount of points that they are listed at
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Yes but without the special rule he is just a beastmaster and so its pointless to take him as a special charactor.

Gentleman of Moderation
Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

But does he have both light armour and a sea dragon cloak?
D'jihurccen
Executioner

Post by D'jihurccen »

The site pretty clearly states that his only equipment is a manticore and a sword of might

no light armor... no SDC... no lance... :sigh:

hes basically a beastmaster with a terrible item selection, and a special rule only usable in a 1000 point mega battle army, so after his 250 points and the 140 points for minimum core, you can take up to 3 hydras. weee?

:edit:

looking through the other characters, +1 spell... free bound item... free tunneler unit upgrade... a free reroll anywhere once per game... free scouts upgrades??? wow we got gypped...
Dark moon Host (druchii) w/d/l 9/2/4
Drek
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Drek »

D'jihurccen wrote:looking through the other characters, +1 spell... free bound item... free tunneler unit upgrade... a free reroll anywhere once per game... free scouts upgrades??? wow we got gypped...

We always get the short end of the stick when special rules come out. That's just how it goes.
Warlock julian
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Warlock julian »

We always get the short end of the stick when special rules come out. That's just how it goes.

But That is the Druchii way... Everybody is annoying us, nobody loves us...... Just makes us hate the rest of the world even more..... :D
'Whether it is nobler to suffer the slings and arrows.........' I don't know, but you probably ended up in a battle between halflings and hated HE.
Bad beast

Post by Bad beast »

Drek wrote:
D'jihurccen wrote:looking through the other characters, +1 spell... free bound item... free tunneler unit upgrade... a free reroll anywhere once per game... free scouts upgrades??? wow we got gypped...

I'm sorry but thats pure BS and everybody here knows it even if they don't want to admit it

lets take a step back and look at the other campaigns and see what darkelves in comparison to the other races

Albion: dark Elves got easily the best item in the GoP (you could make an argument for the sword the dwarves got, but with their runic weapons no dwarf ever took the sword)

Storm of Chaos: Dark elves are the only race in the entire book that got any kind of magic items that also are allowed in their standard army (in fact with the exception of the hellcannon the dark elf items are the only thing introduced in the SOC that is legal outside of the SOC armies)

so I'd hardly say the darkelves tend to get the short end of the stick, in fact I'd dare to say they've received the Lions share of benefits from the campaigns
Skulls for khaine
Executioner

Post by Skulls for khaine »

Bad Beast wrote:
Drek wrote:

I'm sorry but thats pure BS and everybody here knows it even if they don't want to admit it

lets take a step back and look at the other campaigns and see what darkelves in comparison to the other races

Albion: dark Elves got easily the best item in the GoP (you could make an argument for the sword the dwarves got, but with their runic weapons no dwarf ever took the sword)

Storm of Chaos: Dark elves are the only race in the entire book that got any kind of magic items that also are allowed in their standard army (in fact with the exception of the hellcannon the dark elf items are the only thing introduced in the SOC that is legal outside of the SOC armies)

so I'd hardly say the darkelves tend to get the short end of the stick, in fact I'd dare to say they've received the Lions share of benefits from the campaigns

Total agreement here.
Drek
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Drek »

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying GW hasn't done us huge favors, and I'm certainly not looking to create a "GW hates us" gripefest. GW has done a lot for Dark Elves, and I appreciate it. But most of it has been special items, not special rules. That's my only point. A fine line, maybe, but there you have it.

And now I'm going to shut up, because I really think GW has done us a lot of favors and don't want to sound like a "GW basher," which I am not.
Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

GW must have made a mistake in not giving him any armour at all....right guys? They couldn't possibily do that for real could they.......?
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Druchii are not going to be taking part much in the Nemesis crown capaign. But where gonna try to get back in it aren't we? He isn't ment to be a totally buff Beastmaster with the works. GW must of thought the special rule is good enough for us. which it is pretty much.