Dealing with Heavy Calvary

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Vampire1812
Executioner

Dealing with Heavy Calvary

Post by Vampire1812 »

Hello,
I am in an escalation league and we are going 200 400 600 800 1000 1200 1400 1600 1800 2000 2250 2500 for points. We are on the 400 mark right now. I am playing Cult of Slaanesh. We are using warband rules untill 800 points. The list I am taking is;

10 Devoted Mistress
10 RXB
5 CoK

I have beaten Beastmen, Dwarves, Orks, but playing broken Bretonia with 18 Calvary just seems unrealistic.

Is there something I should change in my list to better deal with the fast moving Cav? I will be ok with dealing with Broketonia at higher points but it just seems I am boned at this level. Suggestions?
Vampire1812
Executioner

Post by Vampire1812 »

Wow, nothing?
Sirist
Black Guard

Post by Sirist »

Well... With CoS... yes. There's really not much you can do except try and lead him around the board with DRs.
Viper
Highborn

Post by Viper »

It depends on what you want your end army to look like. in small point games that escalate i try to only have manueverable units like DR. In the escalation games in which I play you are limited on special, rares and characters so it will be several games until you get the forces which you will need to take out a heavy cav units.
here is my 500 point starting list

5 DR w/ crossbows
5 Dr w/ crossbows
1 Sorceress 2nd level with seal and DS cloak
5 shades

I maintain this list for a few games since I cannot add the rare choices or characthers that I want to see in my end army yet. The only thing I can add is my infantry block of spears, but i do not add them yet, because they will just be convienient points for the enemy. with this small forces they will be hard opressed to pin. you can hit with magic and rxbs all day. Concentrate not on the cav, but on what the real threat is. The real threat is his archers, they are even worse if he gives them skirmish ability. So your games should end up as all his infantry & peasant dead and maybe a few nights killed. Your forces should remain more or less intact. I would also make sure to go w/ chillwind if he has archers. At the exspense of knight s he should ony have 1 unit and some peasant unit. Just avoid the knights and waste his peasants. once you kill any yeomen, archers and indi characthers you rule the movement phase. Even if he has magic you should easily over power her with 5 power dice and 4 Dispel.

As the tourney escalates your first stumbling block will be when he gets Pegasus knights. Then they become the real big threat.

in summary you rule the magic and movement phases. he rules the close combat, but since you can control when and where you strike and he cannot, you nullify his advantage.
Good, bad, I am the guy with the reapter bolt thrower.
Vampire1812
Executioner

Post by Vampire1812 »

Well Viper thats part of the problem its a 400 point limit :) Also I am playing Cult of Slaanesh. Acording to the Warband rules my force must be lead by either a Sorceress or a Unit Champion with the Mark. In order to get a unit champion I need to have the minimum number of 10. I also need to have a unit of Devoted, since they are a 1+ choice. Dark Riders are Specials in the CoS list. I think I am just screwed this month :)

He is fielding 18 Cav 0 infantry. 3 blocks of 6 Knights.
Bloodfire
Corsair

Post by Bloodfire »

A Soreress can go a long way, for starters, Slaanesh magic is brilliant against nearly every army, against Brets, the first spell blissful throes can make mince meat out of those knights. Plus some of the other slaaneshi spells can serious ruin your opponents day, like making on of his knight units run around in complete circles with titalating delusions or even make them fight each other!!!
Not even the mightiest beast can withstand my will....
One-s
Beastmaster

Post by One-s »

You' re playing the cult, seems a waste to me not using that sweet slaanesh magic.