some help please - looking for info on Furion of Klar Karond

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Silar
Cold One Knight

some help please - looking for info on Furion of Klar Karond

Post by Silar »

Hi all Druchii warlords
I'm not sure if this is the right forum but here goes. Furion of Klar Karond is he a sorceror or just a scribe? If he is the first one then how come Malekith hasn't slain him? If he is the latter then yeah it will shed alot of light on my plight.
Cheers
Excidium666
Shade

Post by Excidium666 »

There are some exceptions in the druchii culture, for egzample Malus's Darkblade brother is a sorcerer and both Malekith and the Temple of Khaine alowes that. But about Furion, well im not sure. He did actually scribe the history of the dark elves so i would say i scribe. Didnt read anything saying he's a sorcerer :)
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Malus' half-brother is not a sorcerer, he's a priest of Bloody-Handed God. yes he's male magic user but he's sanctioned by the temple which somewhat puts him outside of regular law.
Furion is older and more skilled in magic than Malekith, he's also one of his most faithful followers which kinda makes Malekith feels "safe" having him around as he knows the devoted Furion won't try and usurp the throne.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Jenova210
Trainee Warrior

Post by Jenova210 »

Furion is ascribe, but hes learned all manner of things, so just becasue he knows about magic, doesnt mean he has to use it...
Praise be to khaine...
Victor simic
Highborn

Post by Victor simic »

Yeah, Furion sort of trancends the regular Druchii `laws` pertaining to male Sorcerers.

He is not only the Lord of Clar Karond, but is one of Malekiths `originals`. The legends tell that Furion was one of only a few (three?) Dark Elves that ate the fruit of the Black Tree, giving him immortality. I think the only others to do so were Malekith and possibly Morathi. There are much better Dark Elf history buffs out there than myself (anyone?).

As far as I know, Furion has been with Malekith since before the Sundering, and his loyalty is without question. He has proved himself to the Witch King countless times over more than 5000 years, so I`d say he is exempt from `laws` that apply to `lesser` Druchii. It also seems that Furion is the unofficial scribe/historian of the Druchii Race judging by his writing s in the Army Books. I suppose the job would naturally fall to such a distinguished, loyal, and mighty retainer. But he is much more than just a scribe.

Trawl old White Dwarfs, the old 5th Edition Dark Elf Army Book, and the current Army Book for more on Furion.

Sorry I can`t be more specific.
Be happy, and ye shall be wise
Fingol darkwater
Witch King's Envoy

Post by Fingol darkwater »

As far as I know, Furion has been with Malekith since before the Sundering

Yup. He also served under Caledor Dragontamer and Aenarion IIRC. Furion helped Morathi develop the dark art and came up with the plan to unleash the power of the Vortex on the world.

He is not only the Lord of Clar Karond

No he's not. Clar Karond has three Lords and they change pretty frequently. Furion would hold more power in Naggaroth than all three of them though.
Druchii Discussion and History mod

Behind every mask, is a man
who can't live in his own skin.
He lives by the flask.
He bathes in his past
and dies of his own sins
Silar
Cold One Knight

Post by Silar »

Ok so he is a potent mage and an incredible scribe, would any one know what items he would carry into battle and rules for him if any have been made for him at all. Obviously what i reckon one of those items would be is the tome of Furion, other than that i wouldnt have the foggiest idea what his weapon/s would be. Thanks heaps fellow highborn you have shed a great deal of light on this matter, Fluffwise any more info will be highly appreciated.
Cheers :D
Excidium666
Shade

Post by Excidium666 »

Im not sure if rules for him exist, anyway i would try looking in the druchii monthly (Herald webzine) you might find what you're looking for in it.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I believe there were player made rules for Furion and Hotek floating around these forums a few years back.
7th edition army book:

Aachil lathanast
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Aachil lathanast »

Dalamar wrote:I believe there were player made rules for Furion and Hotek floating around these forums a few years back.
They were. You can find the rules for Furion in the 3rd part of january 2004 Herald. Here is the link:

http://www.druchii.net/monthly/issues/Jan04_3.pdf
Weak perish so that the strong can live. It is the law of nature. It is the law of the Druchii.
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

There is absolutely NO EVIDENCE THAT FURION IS A MALE!!!!!!!

There was a huge argument about this ages ago on the forums. I challenge everyone here to look in all of their DE fluff and find a reference the Furion is a male.

Furion could easily be a sorceress...

There is not one. Not a single one. This is a case of male assumption, classic male ego getting in the way.

A young man is injured in a car accident. His father is killed in the same accident. He needed emergency surgery. The surgeon comes in and says "I cannot operate on this child, he is my son!" How can this be so??
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Thats a bit too easy but yeah you're right.
Silar
Cold One Knight

Post by Silar »

I assumed Furion was a male, so I'm saying he is mainly because I've started modelling a mini on him based on the WE male spellslinger (the one rising in the air)... some good points made to, like it doesn't say whether or not Furion is male or female, and my ego aint getting in the way either, it was an assumption more than a blatantly obvious guess at Furions sex, who in their right mind would call their daughter Furion???? It doesn't make sense :shock: ., I wouldn't call my daughter Furion (If i was an elf) my son however yeah i would.. :P
Cheers
Victor simic
Highborn

Post by Victor simic »

i wouldnt have the foggiest idea what his weapon/s would be.
There is a reference in one of the Army Books where Furion is narrating, when he talks about going to war and his servants/slaves bringing him his `Scimitar`.

So, one would presume Furions weapon of choice is a Scimitar (which is a curved slashing sword counting as a hand weapon most likely). I would venture to suggest that Furions Scimitar would in all probability have powerful enchantments upon it, therefore in game terms it would be a handy Magical Weapon.

As far as other Items goes...anyone ?
Be happy, and ye shall be wise
Silar
Cold One Knight

Post by Silar »

Well the tome of Furion is one of his magic items....Correction a magic item for the dark elves. other than that i would think he weilds great magical abilties by hurtling doom bolts at the enemies of the Druchii. As for the scimitar hmmmm i guess it could be a less deadly version of Malekith's sword (forgotten what its called), or maybe a bit like the Warpsword of Khaine, who knows!!??. :D
Fingol darkwater
Witch King's Envoy

Post by Fingol darkwater »

Underway wrote:There is absolutely NO EVIDENCE THAT FURION IS A MALE!!!!!!!

There was a huge argument about this ages ago on the forums. I challenge everyone here to look in all of their DE fluff and find a reference the Furion is a male.

It's funny because it's true. I'll stick with my own interpretation of Furion thanks.
Druchii Discussion and History mod

Behind every mask, is a man
who can't live in his own skin.
He lives by the flask.
He bathes in his past
and dies of his own sins
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

Underway wrote:..............
A young man is injured in a car accident. His father is killed in the same accident. He needed emergency surgery. The surgeon comes in and says "I cannot operate on this child, he is my son!" How can this be so??

Nice one, I like it :)
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Underway wrote:There is absolutely NO EVIDENCE THAT FURION IS A MALE!!!!!!!

Furion could easily be a sorceress...

There is not one. Not a single one. This is a case of male assumption, classic male ego getting in the way.

As a pre-6th ed creation, it's more likely that Furion is male. After all, during the sundering Malekith was aided by sorcerers and the ladies were never given a look in.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

I'm not disputing that Furion could be a male.

What I am disputing is that there is a reference anywhere that PROVES Furion is a male.

Hey if you want to model Furion as a male go for it.

There is some circumstatial evidence, like the fact Morathi corrupted males from the Tower of Hoeth to become Sorcerers during the Sundering.

The other is that Malekith banned male sorcerers after comming to Naggaroth, so any pre-existing sorcerers would be still alive.

And thirdly Furion is preexisting from 6th ed and at that time male sorcerers were fairly common (I have two mini's of them).

However I stand by my original statement. If you want Furion to be a female go ahead, there is nothing saying that Furion isn't female in the books.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Furion definitely does sound like a male name, though. :)

Bye
Thanee
Saint of m
Highborn

Post by Saint of m »

Furion sounds too masculin to me. But considering there are not alot of official DArk Elf Female names I've heard of other then Morathi and Hel Borum (the first soundign feminin, the second not so much.) So it could be a she, or a he, or considiering how much they like hang out with Slannesh, a he-she.

But I think I'll stick with what little male ego aI have and say he's a dood untill proven otherwise. :P
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Lord Myki of the Hag wrote:Well the tome of Furion is one of his magic items

It's the official "How to Learn Dhar Magic" guide book for uninitiated.

On the topic of Furion being Male or Female, I see Furion as being male but I would prefer him/her to be female. IMO of course.
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Mdk
Slave on the Altar

Post by Mdk »

In the first Malus Darkblade book Furion is referred as a "he" and therefor a male. Thats not an official GW fluf though.
You’re a wreck, an accident.
Forget the freak, your just nature.
Keep the gun oiled, and the temple cleaned shiz
snort, and blaspheme, let the heads cool, and the
engine run. Because in the end, everything we do,
is just everything we’ve done.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Random question but why Malus books are so widely not considered "fluff"? They are black library and as such they are fluff (all others are) and I have seen no word from GW that books they themselves release are just random stuff.
7th edition army book:

Kellindel_mournblade
Corsair

Post by Kellindel_mournblade »

Furion does sound like a human male name, but Elves are not human. For all intents and purposes the female could have been named Furion due to some "star" sign, or due to some other "elf" theory.

As for real life woman not being given a "male" name still hasn't met a girl named Kris/Chris ... or Sam for that matter.

We name girls "Faith", "Hope", "Joy" ... So why would be be unheard of an elf naming their daughter "Furion" or "Fury" for that matter.

All in all we can sit here and say a name doesn't fit when we're not even talking about a culture we could hope to understand. We have our views on how it should be, but the fact that it's not "human" allows the author a level of freedom to do what they will.

And yes, I think he IS mentioned in the lastest Malus novels that Furion IS a male. I can't remember which one, but I also think it's mentioned that he serves a specific purpose for Malekith and that's why he is not strung up for the crows.