new hydra model vs old

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Which model looks better: new or old Hydra?

New model looks better
88%
Old model looks better
12%

Total votes: 158

Drek
Malekith's Best Friend

new hydra model vs old

Post by Drek »

I've noticed that a lot of people around here really like the new hydra model. I've given it some time to let the 'newness' of it wear off, and yet I have discovered that even after several months my opinion has not changed from my initial reaction: I think the previous edition Hydra model looks better. I'm not talking about the rules or the ease of assembly or the look of the handlers, just the look of the model itself. I'm not trying to start a GW bashing thread! Please don't turn it into that. I just wanted to see if anyone agreed with me on this one thing, or if I'm in the minority.
Gibious
Highborn

Post by Gibious »

The heads are awsome, but the body just seems to skinny
...Well thats the end of my post
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

no way, definately the new one. Its all in the heads, which i love. Some people may not like the shape of the head but i do, and the teeth stricking out looks great. Dont get me wrong, our old hydra was nice too, but i prefer this new one.
Lamekh
The Scourge of Khaine

Post by Lamekh »

I like the old Hydra a lot better.
The heads on the new one are nice, but the rest of the model doesn't look right imo. And the new Beastmasters are awful....like all new models!
Ampao
Assassin

Post by Ampao »

I like the new one.

I agree the body is too small. It should be a bit bigger to handle all the heads.

This is a good proportion of the body/head ratio.

This is also a good sized body for the heads
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

I have both, and the new one is yet to grow on me. I think i will replace the new heads with spite heads to both lighten the apparance of the heads and also because the I intensly dislike the look of them. My old hydra is getting a rider ans will become a chariot. :)
"Luck is the residue of design"
Ampao
Assassin

Post by Ampao »

Rabidnid wrote:I have both, and the new one is yet to grow on me. I think i will replace the new heads with spite heads to both lighten the apparance of the heads and also because the I intensly dislike the look of them. My old hydra is getting a rider ans will become a chariot. :)

Haha! Awesome idea! You gotta post pics when you're done! :D
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

I rather like the new one. I may actually get a hydra. I still dislike the feet though....
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

The new one by a mile! The old one looks like a malformed worm.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

Hard question..

I like the new Hydra but there's 2 things that I hate, the Coneheads and the horse like walking.

I also like the old model..

So I would say both but a little preference on the old one.
Gibious
Highborn

Post by Gibious »

Pro's con wise the new one pwns
-Major improvment of heads and neck all snake like and raised like a cobra poised to attack
-Instead of some lump of flesh to call a tail the new one has some nice sharp additions
-And the boils are GONE!!

But seriously look at its body and legs, its dancing along like a little girl. Not realisticaly able to hold the weight of the 5 heads. The feet are too close for a top heavy monstrosity, tis will fall over easy

Without the base its guarenteed to fall over, and ive heard about it too imbalanced to even glue

But if the old model ment going back to old stats... BRING ON THE NEW!
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

The old model was much easier to put together, but the new one looks a lot better IMO. I'm gonna have to say the new hydra, because (after I finished painting both of them) the new one looked much more outstanding. I just can't get the dang thing on its base!

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Crawd wrote:I like the new Hydra but there's 2 things that I hate, the Coneheads and the horse like walking.
Same opinion.

Well, I got the old one, I'll be happy to get the new one... later.
and if Iever get 2 hydras, I'll be very, very glad that they are not similar, like p.73 of the army book, where you can see two clones except for the colour! :x Blaahh.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Metallic malekith
Executioner

Post by Metallic malekith »

definitely the new one, though I can see other people's point about it looking a bit tooo fast and agile and such, the sculpt itself does it for me, it's just 10 times nicer than the old model.
Facing the sun as they went to their grave
Burn like a dog or you live like a slave
Death is the price for your soul's liberty
To stand with the cathars and to die and be free
Kfpm
Executioner

Post by Kfpm »

I like the old one because I have it.....and therefore have just saved £25 on my new army ^^.
Of course in this place every exit is also an entrance! Giggity gig gig ga-goo!
The_vicar
Beastmaster

Post by The_vicar »

I don't like either< i'm going to convert somthing into the hyrda. After reminding myself what the old hydra looked like its ugly the new one is possibly worse, its so ugly. This is a personal opiion before anyone starts a typing, i just don't like them the rules are great i just don't like the minis., the necks have some potential and i might use them in a conversion.
Stand and deliver sir!, lest I cleft your head in twain....
Daicon
Corsair

Post by Daicon »

I'm a fan of the new model, I like the sleek look a lot more than the old hydra with all of it's nasty boils, or whatever those were. The heads for the new model are also a great improvement.
Dreske
Trainee Warrior

Post by Dreske »

I like them both, so I will be keeping 1 of each for my army.
Warsev
Slave on the Altar

Post by Warsev »

new one
Dread_knight666
Noble

Post by Dread_knight666 »

I think the new hydra is a way nicer model, even if it seems a little out of proportion in some areas. The old hydra looked like some sort of lumbering beast that could hardly move let alone be a successful predator. I like the look of the new one and I actually think it was designed very well. It's athletic appearance actually matches the movement on it's profile and I like how all the heads are arched back over the body, it gives it a sense of balance. I do agree the belly could be a little more filled out and the tail could have a little more girth so it would look more like a counter weight to the heads, but it is nothing a little green stuff can't fix.
Taikoubou
Trainee Warrior

Opinion

Post by Taikoubou »

I love the new models then the old Hydra. Like my wife said the old body model of the hydra looks like a turd. I like the slimmer body. I like the old one but the new one is better in my opinion. I always thought that hydras were suppose to have big heads compared to there body. There feet kinda look smaller then then actually are because of how they are bent for there mold. If they had there feet open and flat on the ground I think they would look better. I wish there was an easier way to change there head positions, but it wouldn't be that difficult to bend there necks and/or file there stubs on the body to help position on there body to make them look like they belong there. The green stuff is always an option just need to make sure it gets hard.

IMHO 8)
Heldrak
Renegade Priest of Vaul

Post by Heldrak »

The new model is vastly superior to the older one, IMHO. I suppose that a case could be made that the older versions of the Handlers are better.

Of course, the simple answer for this is to use the new Hydra model with old-school handlers...
Lord temnir
Executioner

Post by Lord temnir »

I like the new one better since it reminds me of all the dragons in tales I was told when I was a child... Sounds maybe strange but it's the truth.
Victory is messured by the blood spilled.
Slerac fellblade
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Slerac fellblade »

I say the new model is better because of a bunch of movies and telivision series all bad but good effects for a hydra.

Hercules: legendary Journies
Hercules the sci fi channel 8 hour movie
Odysee mini series (Scylla)

the new model looks closer to the hydras represented in these movies and telivision show.
Ian: We are trying to help as many starving children as possible
Me: Wait a day and there will be less of them
Gibious
Highborn

Post by Gibious »

Slerac you forgot the best of them all 'Hercules' by Disney of course =D

Even though some of you are calling it athletic, i still plan to stick with anorexic