Rkhatzar
Assassin

Post by Rkhatzar »

Skilett I was playing 6th. ed.
”Fear in hearts, Fear in eyes, Fear is all before they die."
Skilett
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Skilett »

Even though I started during 6th I don't remember if the challenge rules were different. But if they were, then perhaps it should be mentioned, and not be used as a tactical reason for fielding WE in 7th. That can get confusing. :)
Rkhatzar
Assassin

Post by Rkhatzar »

Skilett - yes, sorry, your totally right. And now I'm not sure, if it didn't different.
”Fear in hearts, Fear in eyes, Fear is all before they die."
Mirz do ordas 2
Warrior

Post by Mirz do ordas 2 »

well, in my opinion, WE are amazing, when they are core, a lot of cheap units and backed up by a caulron or 2.

this does need hellebron as general thou, but i did fine with my MSWE (many small witch elves) in 2 tourneys now, and will try a 3rd time tomorrow, but then with execs and assassins instead of hydras.

it is then a game of lure and block/ countercharge instead of flee and failed charge thou, marching up onto the enemy and letting him.her choose, charge and be decimated or wait and be decimated.
fleeing from battle
Cousteau
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Cousteau »

I'm having a hard time thinking about when I would take Witch Elves instead of Corsairs. The armour difference just seems to big to pass up.
Why buy the slave when you can get the blood for free?
Join the Cult of Khaine today!
Andaline
Slave on the Altar

Post by Andaline »

I love Witch Elves, almost my entire army consists of them.

Then again, I am generally more bothered about the theme of the army then how capable it actually is, and my army is entirely themed around Har Ganeth.

Although my beautiful witches are fragile, people tend to underestimate them. I find my executioners, dragon and hydra draw almost all of the enemies fire, and even if a few witches do die, only the seven in the front rank need to remain for them to be at full effectiveness.

Not to mention they are cheap :)

And first post :D
I was born amidst the purple waterfalls, I was weak, yet not unblessed, dead to the world but alive for the journey. One night I dreamt a white rose withering, a newborn drowning, a lifetime of lonliness. I dreamt all of my future and relived my past, and witnessed the beauty of the beast
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Andaline wrote:I love Witch Elves, almost my entire army consists of them.

Then again, I am generally more bothered about the theme of the army then how capable it actually is, and my army is entirely themed around Har Ganeth.

Although my beautiful witches are fragile, people tend to underestimate them. I find my executioners, dragon and hydra draw almost all of the enemies fire, and even if a few witches do die, only the seven in the front rank need to remain for them to be at full effectiveness.

Not to mention they are cheap :)

And first post :D

Welcome to D.net

Yeah, my girls get a lot of ridicule as well, frenzy and no armour, only strength 3, but when my 7 girls roll 22 dice people take notice :)

I was in the process of adding some black guard to my army, but decided I hate the models, so it will be more witches instead.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Andaline
Slave on the Altar

Post by Andaline »

I still remember the time that my regular hag took down my boyfriends Orc Warboss in a challenge. He cried. I laughed.

He shoots the Witch Elves now :(
I was born amidst the purple waterfalls, I was weak, yet not unblessed, dead to the world but alive for the journey. One night I dreamt a white rose withering, a newborn drowning, a lifetime of lonliness. I dreamt all of my future and relived my past, and witnessed the beauty of the beast
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

I remember my Witch Elves charging in a 6th Edition VC caster bunker. They killed some necro's and were flankcharged by a Black Coach. The champion stayed alive, needed snake-eyes to stay in the combat, rolled it, and put with the 3 attacks she had left 3 wounds (haha, manbane :twisted: ) on the coach... We were laughing our asses off
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

How I run my Witch Elves:

Witch Elves (21) with Hag with Manbane, musician, standard bearer with Banner of Murder.

Death Hag with Rune of Khaine, Manbane.

Assassin with two hand weapons, Rune of Khaine, Manbane.

Even without a Cauldron, that gives me somewhere between 15 and 19 Manbane ASF Hatred Armor Piercing Attacks, plus 12 Hatred Poison Armor Piercing Attacks. With the Cauldron, +1 Attack or Killing Blow makes things nastier.

Given how cheap Witch Elves are, and the fact that many players field a BSB, Assassin, or Cauldron anyway, or some combination thereof, it's not even a huge point commtiment.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Given how cheap WEs are... that's one horribly expensive unit right there that can be lead around by a good redirector.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

Dalamar wrote:Given how cheap WEs are... that's one horribly expensive unit right there that can be lead around by a good redirector.

Good thing we have harpies to screen frenzied units, or I would agree.

Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

harpies which die below useful number after single salvo of shooting from anything. Or are you running 4+ units of harpies like I do sometimes? :P
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

I usually pull harpy casualties in a selective way so that the Witch Elves still can't frenzy forward. With shooting, dark riders, and other support too, I haven't had many problems with redirecting and such. I run into players who redirect a lot less, since that doesn't seem to occur to a lot of Daemon and Undead players.

Vallers
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Vallers »

Depending on the side of the pts you are using I guess.

Ive been gaming with a friend against another friend 3k each for my friend and I v 6k VC, here the WE thrive, the multi attacks, poison are just awesome

I tend to give them full command (witch brew essential as you'll never be out numbered, this avoids running from undead in the unlikely event you dont wound or kill enough)

I also add an assassin too, manbane, rune of Khaine, you'll hit first damage the front ranks and reduce attacks coming back.

I also never leave home without the CoB !!! Its just brilliant, I give the Witch Elves either 5+ ward save or killing blow/extra attacks depending if Im likely to charge or be charged and by what.

They are awesome v Cavalry and their heavy armour, how ? Give them Killing Blow via CoB and bob is your uncle, your likely to roll a few 6's in close to 20 attacks and bye bye knights ! Killed outright

In large battles also never leave home without Crone Hellebrone in a unit with ASF banner ... you'll murder everything in your path, trust me, everyone will run from your path ! :D

Like someone has already said
Sadisticity
Executioner

Post by Sadisticity »

I recently field a sorceress in my khanite army to give her a lttle magic resistance. To my surprise, there are some spells which are quite handy for a WE Army.

Word of Pain is a fine example. They help increase the survivability of WE in Closecombat and give the gals insane amount of hits.

Black Horror helped remove some heavily amoured foes which my WE were unable to effectively kill off.