Spearhead or Battallion?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Detrigg
Slave on the Altar

Spearhead or Battallion?

Post by Detrigg »

Hello there-

I am brand new to the game of warhammer and have decided to lead a Druchii force onto the field of battle.

My question is should my first purchase be a battalion box set, or the Spearhead set. I do not have a book yet, but I have read through it enough to make my army choice.

It appears that most other topics are talking about the battalion set, and I have not heard the spearhead mentioned...I really like the Hydra! :lol:
Maeglin
Slave on the Altar

Post by Maeglin »

If you want to start playing as soon as you've assembled your models buy the battalion, as you can easily convert a master to lead your army. If your immediatly prepared to buy more corsairs or other core choices, buy the spearhead even though this is the more expensive choice in the short term.

Even more important though is the units you would like to include at say 2000pts. Let people know what kind of army you envisage, then more people will be able to help you make the choice.
Elric of grans
Dark Rider

Post by Elric of grans »

There is rarely a reason for anyone to get the spearhead. They were only designed as a way to get things before the official release date. They only still sell them because they cannot shift the stock :\ Even if you want everything in it, you will still find it cheaper to use a Battalion to build your army from, unless you do not want Warriors... ever.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

The battalion is missing some shields so you will only have 12 for your 28 warriors. You should be able to order more though, and still do well. Wait till they auction off their old stock and grap a spearhead then, they are not worth it unless you wanted to get DE pre the original release date.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Voiddisciple
Dark Rider

Post by Voiddisciple »

I second the battalion box. The model count is comparable to a lot of the horde armies (VC, OnG), and will get you off the ground faster.

It is an equally good idea to start up an initial point list (1500 and 2000 are good starting points) just so you can plan your future purchases accordingly - in this hobby, it is very easy to get sidetracked. As you start playing, notice the shortfalls in your list and make purchases to shore up these limits.
Hulkster
Beastmaster

Post by Hulkster »

I would recomend the Battalion, then buy what you want from there, you do not save any money with the spearhead, and TBH I regret buying mine.
I love you
Silashand
Warrior
Location: Somewhere between confused and clueless (Colorado, USA)

Post by Silashand »

Definitely the Battalion. The spearheads just aren't worth it and you can find everything in them separately and usually for a better price.