The Black Pendent!!

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Melikai the wicked
Black Guard

The Black Pendent!!

Post by Melikai the wicked »

Hey All

Well since I cant seem to fall asleep I thought I drop an idea I got off the GW dreadlord/master tatica. A dreadlord with the black pendent. 4+ ward sv plus in CC can return the wound back at your opponents with no AS very nice but the con of this item is its cost 70pts ouch. Well I want to talk and see if you all think its worth having?

I can see some really good combos with this item such as Black amulet and Armor of darkness (An almost impossible lord to wound 1+as and 4+ Ward plus you have a 50% chance of would your attacker} Another that comes into mind is black amulet and a mounted lord most likely on CO plus the full kit (another hard to hit lord alil more expensive by 20pts but still a nasty combo not to mention your still left with 30pts to spend)

So there you have it 2 ways [one on foot and the other mounted] to ultilize the black amulet without sacrifice your goal of a hard to hit lord. I find this combo works well against the VC and Demons. So whats your opinion bout this item or combos?
From the Frozen Peaks of IronFrost, Arises the Eternal Servent of Khaine
Lamekh
The Scourge of Khaine

Post by Lamekh »

Imo the Black Amulet really got nerfed in 7th Ed. (it used to be 5+ ward, rebounds wounds, no as or ward save 50 pts)
And was rather fun to have on a suicide noble... go ahead and kill yourself :P

Nowadays I don't see the point AoES is half the price and offers a 4+ "ward" in Regen. Imo the far superior item (not even mentioning PoK)
Rugi
Noble
Location: probably still burried under snow after a failed backflip attempt

Post by Rugi »

I actually killed a star dragon on 4 wounds with it!
It has it uses but it´s a shame that it costs 70 pts now and you have to put it on your lord.

Actually it would be very well worth its points if it would negate all kind of saves. Then it would be nice!
Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

it would be worth it if it could be put on a master, but putting an item that relies on being wounded on a dreadlord seems a bit weird to me.

were it a 50-point item (still allowing ward and regen saves, as now), it would be good on a suicide master. as it is now, it's not worth the cost.
Master of arneim
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Master of arneim »

Problems are well exposed by others in this topic.

I'd add that the black amulet doen not bypass enemy ward saves nor regenerating rolls.

Too much situational and it doesn't allow your Dreadlord to have a serious combat power, nor an excellent protection.
Then, against shooting it is quite useless (ok for the ward, but it does not grant anything else).
As like Rugi I think that it would be great fixing it, allowing the wound rebounded to win all the enemy saving throws.

If you want to play it anyway, it could be an interesting combo giving a co (to prevent fear) and crimson death with full mundane armour (2+ min hth and 1+ vs shooting). Maybe it could work. Giving a magic armour means not getting an important punch when striking.

Another chance is to get him on foot in a black guard with soulrender or blood armour and great weapon. Maybe it could work. Watch out from regenerating monster!
Master of Arneim, proud ruler of the cult of the thousand draichs, because bigger is better.
Melikai the wicked
Black Guard

Well while I understand your opinions I cannot agree that AOES or even POK are surpierior both of these items have a really big flaw AOES is a regen save any flame-based attack can get past this with no problem. POK, any spells that do not have a strength value or any S4 attacks that go through can really give this pendent some problems. while I agree that the cost of these items are well worth the risk, they dont hinder your opponents like the Blak amulet does. The amulet allows you to wound any who are foolish enough and strong enough. If cost is the only problem, what else does your dreadlord really need? There are so many options in our list that our masters can have and the amulet does not take away from from potential combat power I think it enhances it by adding an extra source of wounding capability.
In-ghost
Trainee Warrior

Post by In-ghost »

as said above, this amulet is too expensive. if i'm not much mistaken it should save 2,5 wounds per game and deal that much (if used on maximum) which is too few for its cost. funny is that maybe only 5 points less could make it much more enjoyable, since you could afford AoES and with it another protection after failing the BA...
Stay (sic)
Lamekh
The Scourge of Khaine

Post by Lamekh »

Melikai The Wicked wrote:Well while I understand your opinions I cannot agree that AOES or even POK are surpierior both of these items have a really big flaw AOES is a regen save any flame-based attack can get past this with no problem. POK,

Your missing my point. I can have AoES AND PoK for the cost of the Black Amulet!
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

I only ever took the black amulet for the fun of it (or against my friend who had an unholy and terrible unhealthy liking for archaon... me using the black amulet "cured him" of this disease :lol: ).

Now I only take the pendant of Khaeleth if I need something to stop and unstoppable prince on star dragon (I love taking a noble with pendant in a unit of spearment and then putting it in the way to be charged - that star dragon will be stuck in there all game long without doing any real harm (perhaps even being broken by static CR). Black Amulet is nasty enough against high-toughness monsters (most renowned amongst them perhaps a star dragon), but other than that I can't see anything justifying it's points costs (except that it is very druchii... but it was more druchii in the last edition, ignoring the ward save and all... being a bit more dangerous to the user, but at the same time a lot more lethal).

Your missing my point. I can have AoES AND PoK for the cost of the Black Amulet!

Agreed. And then you can also get a 1+ save and immunity to fear for the lord as well. It is a fact that this is one of the toughest (if not the toughest) characters in the game, while still having a lethal damage output. I tend to give him a halberd because being mounted that is the only mundane weapon that gives you a bonus in longer lasting combats - and the toughness of the character is of little use if you break your opponent on the charge. Then you might as well give your highborn a 4+ ward - or even just a good AS and offensive equipment (hydrablade + PoS is perhaps the most lethal one-trick equipment there is). Black amulet will only ever be on my highborns if I want to fulfil fluff requirements/have to kill dragons.

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Melikai the wicked
Black Guard

Well i concede you your point that it is more sound just to by the pendent and AOES I must say that the amulet is a very nice magic item I for sure will try to include it to my dreadlord and let my masters eenjoy the benifits of the pendent and AOES. Thanks to all for your opinions
Patrizzo
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Patrizzo »

Melikai The Wicked wrote:any S4 attacks that go through can really give this pendent some problems.

1: St4 attacks are saved on 2+ most of the times, and at worst 3+.
2: Against St4 attacks, the PoK gives you the same effeect as a 3+ ward save. At St3 it gives you the effect of a 4+ ward save.
Pulchritudo in oculis spectatore est ...
Cyberactivity
Shade

Post by Cyberactivity »

Yeah, the Black Amulet is overpriced.

The only way it would be worth it would be to by pass all saves.

Otherwise the PoK is far superior 90% of the time.

Last game against empire lv4 with it took a cannon ball to the face and survived! I wouldn't of saved it with the BA.
Enfant terrible
Cold One Knight

Post by Enfant terrible »

Cyberactivity wrote:Yeah, the Black Amulet is overpriced.

The only way it would be worth it would be to by pass all saves.

Otherwise the PoK is far superior 90% of the time.

Last game against empire lv4 with it took a cannon ball to the face and survived! I wouldn't of saved it with the BA.

I agree!
"... Why so serious? ..."