Let's say a tournament had Armybook modifications...

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Skilgannon
Cold One Knight

Post by Skilgannon »

If someone tried to place those rules on me for a tourney I would flip them off and protest. There is a point of taking things to far with attempting to "fix" things.

Or you could just look at the rules decide the tourament isn't for you and not attend. Lots of touraments (varies greatly in different regions) attempt to 'balance the books' I have never seen one attempt which hasn't atleast improved balance across the books to a degree. This is one method i'm not saying it is right or the best way.

No one is trying to force you to go to an event a simple 'no thanks i'm not keen on your comp system' to someone who is trying to do something good for the community in your area (by running an event) would be fair. They don't deserve you being impolite or protesting (it doesn't even impact you if you decide not to buy a ticket once you have read the rules (at least I have never seen a tournament where the rules weren't available prior to purchasing a ticket) why would you protest?).

Btw why are we having this conversation. We may have a few nasty items and units that are probably undercosted (love you gav) but compared to Daemons and VC people have very little to really complain about.

Those books tend to get limited heavily as well it varies from tournament to tournament but Dark Elves are probably the hardest list to limit effectively and thus generate more discussion. It isn't about whether Dark Elves are as hard as daemons and vampires it's whether Dark Elves are significantly better than the other armies. I am going to a tournament in about a month and the comp doesn't limit Dark Elves as much as vampires and Daemons and i'm pretty sure Dark Elves will dominate the top rankings as they give the most list advantage even with some list limitations.
Voodoomaster
Lord General Of Khaine

Post by Voodoomaster »

Bies wrote:
Voodoomaster wrote:and that would screw over High Elves the most, but also it would screw over all the high pointed armies to be honest, and place advantage in the small cheap armies such as Skaven, Orcs & Gobbos and to an extent Humans.
For example, Skaven can get 4 characters while an elf army struggles to barely get 2 (at 2250pts)

Well I play 2500pts and I find it hard to believe you can't get 4 characters in 2250 and "struggle to get 2" either you tool your characters up or you like your troop options in which case characters are 2ndary anyway.

As for Brets, the only Brets I play against are Knight armies so the idea doesn't scare me I'm afraid- they are nasty however.

Did you guys try making lists with the % restrictions?

Also how does it help Orcs and Skaven? The best Skaven units are still special, same with Orcs and same with Humans.

Our Core also beat theirs. Yes they may outnumber us but what Orc of Skaven army shouldn't, hell even humans should outnumber a race that is essentially killing itself (elves).

ummm no offence but context, i was replying to your suggestion to your percentages ratio's for armies in regards to a tournament and that it wouldn't work if you bound them to around 15% (for the characters) then Elf Armies would have at 2250pts around 338pts to spend on characters of which around 110pts can be magic items, so in effect all that could be afforded was a sorceress and a noble (or 3 nobles/sorceresss with no magic items and limited kit) and how it helps skaven, their hero's are cheaper therefore they can get more hero's in for their percentage allowance under your suggested system. they would still be limited by the magic items but for skaven and goblins their heros are more for leadership than for fighting to be honest.
And also you failed to answer my comment on the High Elves, which have the 2/6/4 force selection chart at 2000pts.

and yes, i do use percentages to work out my army ratio's usually my armies are around
Characters 25-30%
Core 25-30%
Special 25-30%
Rare 10-15%
Using this chart gives me a hell of alot more flexibility, now there is nothing wrong with the suggestion of using a percentages based system its just it blesses some armies and penalises others.

my last army was as follows
Characters: 32%
Core: 30%
Special: 21%
Rare: 17%
"For every victory there is a defeat, for every defeat there is a victory. My victory, my defeat are for all to see..."
Khael Vraneth, Lord-General of Khaine.
Greatescape_13
Trainee Warrior

Post by Greatescape_13 »

I agree that if one objects to the rules, then they can just not attend.

But I would simply suggest to potential tournament arrangers that excessive attempts to "fix what is broken" may not be the ideal means of attracting players and building up an event.

I'd much rather leave a tournament saying to myself "Good tournament, though that one player's list was pretty brutal--I guess I'll have to think how to beat such things in the future" instead of "Good tournament, but I wish that I could have brought an army that conforms to my army book rules rather than some person's personal notion of 'balanced'."

Cheers.
The buoyancy of water
Highborn

Post by The buoyancy of water »

Hi,

As a Tomb King player I'd like to make a quick point about the percentage limits. Those limits would actually make TKs near unplayable, so you are effectively handicapping one of the weakest armies out there. My 2250 list has 700ish points spent on characters, and I need everyone of them to have an effective army.

So I believe a percentage restriction will actually hurt the weaker lists more then the stronger ones that have easy access to powerful units. I don't know ogres very well but I can't imagine they'd thank you for limiting character spending to 15%...

Cheers,
Dave
Lenya Talos

WS: 4
S: 3
T: 2
D: 4
I: 5

Equipment: Short Sword, Repeater Crossbow, Shade Cloak, Small Brass Ring. 5 Gold

Skills: Basic Stealth.
Animatronicdemonskwerral
Beastmaster

Post by Animatronicdemonskwerral »

the new rule book - $25
Buy new units from new book - $25+
Paint up new units from new book - $30+ and time spent
Get to an event or local group and find out that a group of "wise" neckbeards decided to make your new list illegal - Priceless
THR/////////\\\\\\\\\\ZZZZZZZHHHHHHH TILLL D////\\\\////\\\THHHHHHHH