Corsairs (Dual Handbow Legal?)

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Sadisticity
Executioner

Corsairs (Dual Handbow Legal?)

Post by Sadisticity »

As the thread title suggest, is it legal to give all my Corsairs dual Handbow?

According to the Codex, under the Black Ark Corsairs entry, it simply states.

Weapons:
Swap Hand Weapon for Handbow.

Since Corsairs have Two Hand Weapons, they can swap BOTH hand weapon for Handbows right?

That means my Corsairs will have no Hand Weapons. Under such circumstance, are they still able to strike in closecombat since they have a base attack of 1? Is there an explicit rule in the rulebook stating that models with no hand weapons cannot strike in closecombat?

(Mods please move this to the appropriate forum if you think this thread is in the wrong forum. Thanks :))
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

The rule allows you to swap a hand weapon for a hand crossbow. You can use the same option twice.

It's like giving your heroes two handbows. You don't buy a handbow twice, there's a separate option for dual handbows.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Sadisticity
Executioner

Post by Sadisticity »

Dalamar wrote:The rule allows you to swap a hand weapon for a hand crossbow. You can use the same option twice.

It's like giving your heroes two handbows. You don't buy a handbow twice, there's a separate option for dual handbows.

So I can use the same option twice to give each Corsair 2 Handbows shooting 4 shots each?

OR

If GW allow Corsair to take 2 Handbow each, there will be a seperate dual Handbow option? From what I see in the codex, the dual handbow option is only for the reaver. Nothing is being mentioned about giving Corsairs handbow except for the fact that their Hand Weapon (Singular) can be swapped for Handbow (Singular) Free of Charge.

Is it in the FAQ or the Game Master will decide upon this in tournaments?
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

gah, a typo got in >.<
you *can't* use the same option twice.

Only Reaver can use two handbows and no FAQ is neccessary.
7th edition army book:

Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Dalamar is 100% correct.

Wouldn't it be nice if that wasn't the case though: imagine a row of 10 corsairs popping out 40 shots :P
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

deathknight27 wrote:Dalamar is 100% correct.

Wouldn't it be nice if that wasn't the case though: imagine a row of 10 corsairs popping out 40 shots :P
Or if the handbow could be used as a hand weapon in combat so that handbow corsairs weren't a complete joke in combat? or that they were all 2pts cheaper and the command options were discounted too? there's plenty of 'what ifs' with corsairs... :twisted: ;) :cry:
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

When the book first came out, I thought that handbows did count as handweapons, because it works as a pistol and pistols can be used as handweapons... thus 2 handweapons (handbow and hand weapon) making an additional attack.

What they SHOULD have done was handbows always generic and counting as an AHW, with an option of 3 points a model to have a brace of handbows. And probably ditch slavers to make up for it so the price would be the same. Oh well.
Vesidel
Dark Rider

Post by Vesidel »

Don't the sprues come with enough handbows to give them all double handbows?
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Vesidel wrote:Don't the sprues come with enough handbows to give them all double handbows?

yes
"Luck is the residue of design"
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

while holding the sprues in my hands... no, there's only 11 handbows (one of them is pretty much champion specific)
7th edition army book:

Vesidel
Dark Rider

Post by Vesidel »

Well I happened to ask because I was about to build 20 of them. Dalamar is right there aren't enough to give them all double! I know this for sure because I just finished drilling out the torsos and magnetizing every one of them so I can swap out their arms!
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

I just checked my book, and the wording in the army list entry is "Swap hand weapon for handbow...free".

I would have to say that swapping for dual handbows is legal, but far outside the spirit of the rules. Leaving aside the quandary of how to handle CC without any close combat weapon, 100pts for 40 shots at BS4 is at the very least, a little absurd. Even the 8 inch range matters little as we were already using them as flankers, and annoying bait units.
"Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup"

My motto: Whether I win, lose, or draw the game; I win as long as my opponent has pulled their hair out by the end of the game. :twisted:

Honoring Khaine since March 2003.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Swap Hand Weapon for Handbow.

Yes.

And do you see
Swap Both Hand Weapons for Dual Handbows?

No.

You can't take the same option twice (or I'll give my warriors 2 shields, so they won't fight but get extra AS)
7th edition army book:

Desert icon
Assassin

Post by Desert icon »

Gotta agree, there's nothing that even slightly suggests that you can give all of your Corsairs 2 handbows. Taking the same option twice would be absurd in any situation, even when not taking into account whether it's legal or not.
Diagnosis ninja
Slave on the Altar

Post by Diagnosis ninja »

Dalamar wrote:Swap Hand Weapon for Handbow.

Yes.

And do you see
Swap Both Hand Weapons for Dual Handbows?

No.

You can't take the same option twice (or I'll give my warriors 2 shields, so they won't fight but get extra AS)

Slightly abstract, but, by that logic, in 40k Space Marines, you wouldn't be able to replace your bolt pistol and close combat weapon for a power weapon and plasma pistol. They're both under the same option.

Still, I don't think I would want to, seen as that would lead to me remodelling all my corsairs at some point XD
EDIT: Also, the Reaver has to pay for that choice. Why the hell would he if he could do it for free?
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Dunno how exactly it's written in SM book, and 40k is not Fantasy :P
7th edition army book:

Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Diagnosis Ninja wrote:EDIT: Also, the Reaver has to pay for that choice. Why the hell would he if he could do it for free?

My question is, does he keep both hand weapons? He's certainly paying enough to have dual handbows. :(
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

This is a funny one actually.

If you buy your Reaver a pair of handbows and leave rest of the unit with two hand weapons, the Reaver *retains* his two hand weapons.

If you upgrade the entire unit with "replace a hand weapon with a handbow" he loses his additional hand weapon as well.
7th edition army book:

Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

DOH! That make perfect sense... "The champion is always equipped the same as his unit" being in the rules and all...
Leduwob
Warrior

Post by Leduwob »

Red... wrote:Dalamar is 100% correct.

and with no penalty for shooting long range or moving and shooting :twisted: