Crazy Idea for cheap shades!

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Yoshiro
Trainee Warrior

Crazy Idea for cheap shades!

Post by Yoshiro »

Hey I'm wondering if I'm the only person who thought of this, shades are super expensive so you might like the idea anyway.

What I did was get many hands on a box of Rangers of middle earth from the LOTR war hammer range and cut off their bows.

Once I had done that, I just replaced the entire hand with some leftover handbows and daggers leftover from my last batch of corsairs.

In a single box, I managed to get 20 shades and even converted 2 into assassins (but the metal assassins look deadly anyway so no matter), and I'm happy with the results!

So try it out and tell me what you think, thanks for reading ^^.
There is nothing to fear but fear itself...

.... Also, bees.... Swarms of bees...
Xiifulminata
Trainee Warrior

Post by Xiifulminata »

seems like a great idea any pictures of the finished product?
Cananatra
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Cananatra »

Oh yes, pictures!
Group 28- Name: Cananatra; Warrior; Follower of Slaanesh
WS:4 S:4 T:5 D:4 I:3
Equipment: MC Long sword, Throwing Axe, Dagger, Heavy Armour, Slaanesh Amulet, Dalvian Hunting Horn, Rations x 7, Null stone x 1, 525 Gold, Dark Steed, Blackpowder Pistol [18/18]
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Ride, Endurance
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

The problem is that LOTR is smaller scale than WHFB. But I would like to see pictures, prefferably with other models next to them for scale purposes.
Tribun
Shade

Post by Tribun »

Yes pictures...till that, we can't actually say,if your idea is good. so please ;)
Lord draekor
Shade

Post by Lord draekor »

I'd like to see pictures too.

I have "added" two handed swords to about 8 metal DE Scouts. I converted some of those to look different than the others and replaced the xbows with Warrior xbows wherever possible. I guess I need to get around to painting them, maybe a picture or two as well. Maybe I have some already I'll look around.

I bring that up for reference that I have experience converting scouts. Anyway, I happen to have a box of LotR Rangers and some spare xbows. I opened the box of Rangers and looked them over with an eye towards converting. As much as I like the look, to convert them as I'd like them to be, I'm seeing a lot of cutting and possibly even green stuff being used. 10 out of 12 Rangers have thier bow along thier back. That's a lot of cutting and shaving. I like the hoods and masks but not so much the rest of the outfit which is more "human" to me. On the good size, DE Warrior hands (holding the xbow) are the same size as the Ranger hands.

On the positive side, I'm going to get a box of "Wood Elf Warriors" as, based on the picture on the GW site, they seem easier to convert. At least the way I'd like to see them. Some are even holding two handed swords too. I think I can get 12 converted with ease, a few others with a bit of work. Not sure if they are too small (the rangers clearly are not) but worst case I use them for my LotR Wood Elves so this is a win/win for me. Edit: I'm doing this because converting anymore metal DE Scouts is out of the question for me. That was simply too painful.

GW LotR Wood Elves:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... rod1080011
Lord Draekor
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

Another idea, more expensive than LotR but cheaper then actual shades is to use Corsairs. They definitely look like Shades to me just as they are and wouldn't be too hard to convert either.
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

They look too much like Corsairs, though. So I've always thought, when I've seen it. They just look too heavy for Shades.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Lord draekor
Shade

Post by Lord draekor »

I considered Corsair conversions but I agree with Layne, Corsairs look too "heavy" as Shades.

If you're going to consider converting Corsairs it might be best to check with you're gaming group and see if it's OK to simply proxy Corsairs armed with their repeater handbows as Shades. This reminds me of the "good old days" when players would proxy RxB Warriors as shades. This saves money and provides you with models for multiple use. Of course, if you're going "Shade Deathstar" then you have to convert them. ;)
Lord Draekor
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

I would think that painting the converted corsair shades in a disctintively different scheme as well as either using GS to cover the scales on the cloaks (or just replacing the cloaks entirely) would be sufficient.

For example, my shades (as well as dark riders and assassins) use the same colors as the rest of the army, but in significantly darker shades. Thus, my shades converted from corsair and spearmen parts don't really resemble corsairs anymore, despite the similarity of poses.

Besides... how does one confuse skrimishing, scouting Shades for rank & file Corsairs? Even if the minis you were using were identical, the manner in which they were being used should be distinctive enough.
Hauclir
Trainee Warrior

Post by Hauclir »

Have you checked ebay? I picked up a half dozen for $12 USD a couple months ago. It's definitely not as creative as these other ideas though.
Excidium666
Shade

Post by Excidium666 »

Mengil Menhide Manflayers make excellent shades. They cost pretty much the same price as regular Shades but IMO the look way more attractive. They also have great weapons and proper crossbows on them.
High elf is an elf after all, therefore he deserves a quick death...
Tribun
Shade

Post by Tribun »

the funny thing is, shades can have ruleswise thw, but the shades of GW have only one-handed swords.
No one
Noble

Post by No one »

Tribun wrote:the funny thing is, shades can have ruleswise thw, but the shades of GW have only one-handed swords.

this is because in 6th edition they only had one hand-weapon and a crossbow and no options for wargear
'with hatred all things are possible' -Malus of Hag Greaf-

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"
Church
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Church »

converting glade guard ist still the best sollution imo. Currently I'm working on them, using parts from the warrior and corsair sprues and green stuff. I'm very pleased with the decent ninja style i've reached. :)
Snake
Trainee Warrior

Post by Snake »

Personally, i use a mix of metal shades and converted corsairs :)
DE
(From 2010)
W D L
6 2 2
Fastcarfreak
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Fastcarfreak »

I really like the way my converted shades came out. I used corsairs as well, with the naked heads only, and rxb men arms. On top of that, I took some of the spears from the warriors sprue and cut off the shafts in order to have them look like great weapons. I attached the newly created great weapons to the backs of each model. Their is no way you could mistake them for anything other than shades.
Tribun
Shade

Post by Tribun »

Don'tonly talk about it guys, show us pics of your famous conversions, please!
Timz
Cold One Knight

Post by Timz »

Yeah, talk about models with no pictures is pretty useless.

I wouldn't want to spend a bunch of money and a week to get something ugly that doesn't look like a shade.

Post pics!