The FAQs are out - discuss!

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Voodoomaster
Lord General Of Khaine

Post by Voodoomaster »

to answer some questions, yes the 6th ed book got re-written/edited after the rules update.
the 7th ed Druchii book is due for a re-print anyway due to an error in the people thanked at the back, although whether this counts for anything is open to all points of view.
The Whip of Agony is now lots of fun
i agree with Minsc in regards to hatred and the mounts as it states model, so it effects mounts as well just like the ring of darkness in my eyes.
The Cauldron of Blood is a mess, as there is nothing states that it causes terror anymore (i will assume it does until otherwise told) the crew still have extra hand weapons as told on p93 and nor do they have hatred according to these rules, again i will assume they do as again on p93 they have the following rules still.
overall GW made this a tad rushed.
"For every victory there is a defeat, for every defeat there is a victory. My victory, my defeat are for all to see..."
Khael Vraneth, Lord-General of Khaine.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Count Zero wrote:Druchii sorcery taking a nerf too? how many times will you want to roll more than 6 dice?
When you want to sacrifice your lone scroll caddy level 1, after she has burnt her scroll.
Then she rushes as close as possible to the enemy and rolls ALL available PD into her single spell.
Very high chances to get at least double 6, that the opponent can't stop, plus the effect of the miscast, hopefully with further consequences around.
If she survives, even if she forgets her unique spell, you can still cast PoD next time with 12 dice and miscast again! :twisted:
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Capricious
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Capricious »

HE pdf got updated they now have elite army, so no restrictions on the number of duplicates of rare and special slots.

5 bolt throwers in 2k
7 in 3k

That with their special asf boost makes He's the big errata winner I think.
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Assassins just got a little better. :P
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Malus finally got his cloak. I kinda liked that he previously had a 3+ save, made him feel a bit more like a maverick.

And yes, the COB rules do seem rushed. It says that the models get +1 attack as long as they are frenzied, but they do not actually have the rule 'frenzy' anymore. Not well presented at all. Thumbs down.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Champion_re
Warrior

Post by Champion_re »

After having re-read the FAQ, I think our mounts do get hatred after all, since Eternal Hatred now affects the "modell", not the "Dark Elf".

But why then remove the "Remember that hatred also applies to mounts as long as their riders are alive"? It makes no sense to remove such a clarification if GW intended DE mounts to have hatred in 8th.

And did CoB just lose it's terror + MR1 + Frenzy + E-hatred?
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Yes.

Presumably the formerly blood thirsty, wild and uncontrollable witch elf attendants have now matured into calm, peaceable ladies who sit around drinking cups of blood from their cauldron and making idle chit chat. Their lack of activity makes them non-scary and too lazy to bother fending off magic attacks. They may also be rueing their decision to change cauldron manufacturers: the last producers had a "cauldron will not break guarantee" stamped firmly on the back, whereas the newfangled ones have a measly T10 and 3 wounds. The hags, in fact, are so miffed that they now refuse to fight as champions, leaving the poor death hag to fend for herself, tea cup in hand. Not to worry though, the rules in the FAQ reassure us that the unit can use the best armour/ward combination against any wounds suffered to the cauldron - wait, darn it, they forgot to order any armour. Wish they had read the rules before making that all important equipment purchase.

In answer to Setomidor (below). The DH might keep it, but the Hags are no longer hags, but hag crew, thus have totally different stats to any other hags. So, yes, they've definitely lost any unstated rules.
Last edited by Red... on Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Setomidor »

NO.

The Cauldron lost it, but Frenzy and E-hatred are rules for the Death Hags and Hags, and there is no reason why they would lose it from joining the CoB. Terror and MR(1) Might be gone though.
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

Current personal opinion and summary of our new Errata is:

1. Removed per correction by KillerK.

2. Cauldron is a confused mess requiring the players to sort out what rules from the "new" Cauldron, original Death Hag, and original Hag rules are used. Plus we lost the ability to challenge with our little Hags guarding the cauldron.

3. The new statement of Beastmaster rule for Hydra doesn't seem to over-ride the new BRB Monster and Handler rules. So our handlers are now immune to randomized wounds, but I think they already were per the BRB since the Monster is the only valid target now.

4. The scourge rules look interesting. I'll have to read how the Extra Attack rule in the BRB is worded, but I'm liking the concept of a +1 Attack Whip of Agony.

5. Druchii Sorcery is kind of redundant barring the "Mage Bomb" theory. I would have liked it if they made the rule do something else instead, but I won't complain.

6. Malus... Finally! Somebody went through and realized he should have a cloak of some kind. I think they should have phrased it as a cloak of Nauglir(spelling) hide though.

7. Null talismans got a slight nerf. We can't put them on multiple models anymore, but I don't think that happened often anyway.

8. Prepare for a whine-fest regarding the Ring of Hotek. With the range and double rule unchanged, we didn't lose anything. Now we explode AoE spellcasters as well as long as they affect any model within 12" of the ring. I think that was a little extreme, but it's hard to complain about.

9. Assassins almost got nerfed beyond use in CC. It is bad enough that they can be targeted in CC easily now, we almost lost rerolls in 2nd rounds of combat when we hide for the 1st round on our charge. It's not a problem since we get the ASF rerolls though, so no stress there.

10. Power of Darkness is going to be fun. There is nothing that says we can't refill our dice pool, just tied to each mage instead of grouped, and we don't explode anymore with the wrong miscast costing us a chance to use the dice.

11. GW oops-ed and says we can use any PoD die remaining on a fruitless cast to burn them up to avoid the st4 damage. I think this is going to be re-FAQ-ed as soon as people start complaining about it.

12. Venom sword may become useful now between the Shadow lore spell and Assassin ASF-ing. St10 attacks to eat an entire rank of ogres anyone?

Overall, I can't complain. I was hoping for an update to our casting values for a scaled spell or two, but they aren't needed.

However, there is one last thing that concerns me, and piques my interest at the same time. There is a question at the bottom of page 3 on the left-hand side regarding the effects of Witchbrew and units during deployment. The answer goes on to describe how Hellebron, on her Manticore, passes on Witchbrew's affect to herself, her manticore, and any unit they deploy with. Now suspicious me, does this mean that the rule for deploying a large, flying, monsterous mount in a unit are gone? Sadly, I probably won't get my BRB until tomorrow, so can anyone take a look and see if the Errata is onto something or if it is just a GW oops?
Last edited by Ebonyphoenix on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup"

My motto: Whether I win, lose, or draw the game; I win as long as my opponent has pulled their hair out by the end of the game. :twisted:

Honoring Khaine since March 2003.
Greenman
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Greenman »

EbonyPhoenix wrote:
8. Prepare for a whine-fest regarding the Ring of Hotek. With the range and double rule unchanged, we didn't lose anything. Now we explode AoE spellcasters as well as long as they affect any model within 12" of the ring. I think that was a little extreme, but it's hard to complain about.

i think you have to read more carefully about the RoH, its not clear in the FAQs if its meant the way you see it:

atm its ONLY triggered if u cast a spell within 12" there is nothing mentioned about targeting like in the DE rulebook

so RoH got a huge nerf if they leave it like that

and you forgot no more hatred on mounts /
C_freman
Dark Rider

Post by C_freman »

In the german FAQ it states it more clearly.

Besides, down in the questions it makes mention of the spell affecting targetted units.

It's probably an error and will get fixed in the next update. I think the ring got nerfed enough by not stopping the spells.
Greenman
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Greenman »

ya indeed
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

EbonyPhoenix wrote:Current personal opinion and summary of our new Errata is:

1. Corsairs got nerfed. Slavers may matter only rarely now due to only affecting "Swiftstride" models. Plus we force a reroll on the highest prior to the 2 actual dice being chosen.

I disagree, mainly because the first word in the sentence is "add" ;).

as, for the ring, instead of the miscast I would rather have the spell fail. But every one is freaked out by it, so I guess it's going to be fun using it.
Also known as Kanadian
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

Yes, but with the new miscast table, it's unlikely that people will cast into the ring area anyway.

And yes, still targetting a spell at a unit within 12" will cause it to go off, otherwise the area of effect spells wouldn't also cause an effect. Bad wording indeed.

Where's our updated magic lore?
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

no one got their lore updated.

the miscast table doesn't scare me all that much. I just have to take it into account I could lose my mage casting big and ugly spell's. but since there are going to be huge unit's taking a wound on my sorc is still worth wile, especially if on DP with the PoK :twisted: .
Last edited by Killerk on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Also known as Kanadian
Jadin
Black Guard

Post by Jadin »

So they left PoD so we can take it with any lore? I'm at work so I can't read the FAQ.
Voodoomaster
Lord General Of Khaine

Post by Voodoomaster »

anyone casting a spell within 12" of the ringbearer, or casting a spell affecting something within that 12" bubble has to roll on the miscast table on the roll of a double

thats the german translation roughly, thanks to lethalis for being translator monkey
"For every victory there is a defeat, for every defeat there is a victory. My victory, my defeat are for all to see..."
Khael Vraneth, Lord-General of Khaine.
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

@KillerK: My bad, missed the "add" part.

I agree with Thanatoz, between the FAQ and the Amendments it's not the clearest for the RoH. The amendment states "cast a spell within 12" of the bearer" and the FAQ explains that affecting a model within 12" will trigger the miscast as well. Therefore it should work as normal imho, but I can see the need to argue.

Slight toss of logic/realism:
One definition of "cast" is:
    To throw (light etc.) on or upon something, or in a given direction

I think that would be a good argument to show how the amendment doesn't FUBAR the Ring of Hotek. Since the mage is "throwing" the spell at a model within 12" of the RoH I believe it fits both the Amendment and FAQ definitions. The mage would be "casting" the spell within the aura of the ring either by being their him/herself or by directing the spell in the direction of the aura causing a backlash of energy.

This isn't perfect, but it should hold up with a reasonable opponent until GW clears up their ruling so it's easily understood.
"Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup"

My motto: Whether I win, lose, or draw the game; I win as long as my opponent has pulled their hair out by the end of the game. :twisted:

Narius phinshredder
Executioner

Post by Narius phinshredder »

Minsc wrote:After having re-read the FAQ, I think our mounts do get hatred after all, since Eternal Hatred now affects the "modell", not the "Dark Elf".

I'd take it, it just means the dark elf part of the model. If not why word it so badly in the re-write? Also how do you handle the amendment to lore of dark magic, ignore "If you roll the same spell twice, roll again". What does that mean?
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

Narius Phinshredder wrote:Also how do you handle the amendment to lore of dark magic, ignore "If you roll the same spell twice, roll again". What does that mean?

It means you default to the BRB spell selection which demands that when you roll a double/treble/quadruple you pick the spell the duplicates become. I.E. Your Lvl4 rolls chillwind and 3 doombolts, you get doombolt and choose Soulstealer and BlackHorror as your other 2 spells. :twisted:

Undeadcatd
Noble

Post by Undeadcatd »

Narius Phinshredder wrote:
Minsc wrote:After having re-read the FAQ, I think our mounts do get hatred after all, since Eternal Hatred now affects the "modell", not the "Dark Elf".

I'd take it, it just means the dark elf part of the model. If not why word it so badly in the re-write? Also how do you handle the amendment to lore of dark magic, ignore "If you roll the same spell twice, roll again". What does that mean?

after reading 8th edition rule book :

(1)no , our mount wont get hatred even coldone is part of model

(2)we can choose our spell if roll the same spell

still , we need better FAQ of COB and ROH
However , Druchii is now a "tier 2" army 8)
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Re: The FAQs are out and we won big time

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Bies wrote:Ring of hotek causes miscast AND stops the spell and no price increase

Not quite true.

A miscast does not stop the spell from being cast. If the roll is high enough, the spell still goes off and the miscast result is resolved after that.

Also, the Manbane/Rending Stars combo now appears to max out at strength 6.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

Ninja stars are still st7, the FAQ states the manbane applies before any other modifiers just like before.

Riker666
Executioner

Post by Riker666 »

Another issue with the CoB, if I can count right (and that's not always the case). Hags+Dh+ frenzy is 10 attacks, when now we get 13
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

So, in summary:

GW rushed it all and left more ambiguities than they started with.

Any word on when they're going to errata the new FAQs?

Edit: read over the page for the COB (well formatted GW, good job there). Comment originally made about COB here removed to avoid me looking dopey :)
Last edited by Red... on Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Don't be a munchkin?