Black Amulet!

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Svarthofthi
Executioner
Location: Within the nightmare twists and turns of Hag Graef.

Black Amulet!

Post by Svarthofthi »

SO! This thread is about the Black Amulet! What are some good lord builds with it? Do you find it useful?
"I have heard the call to power! Who of you can say you'd dare tread the same path as I?"
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

It's ok. I used it in 7th a few times.

In 8th, however, I don't see it as being that useful, since there are so many better ways to spend the magic item allowance now (incl. some cheaper 4+ Ward saves).

Bye
Thanee
Tomcowlin
Executioner

Post by Tomcowlin »

I would take it on a supreme sorceress with dark magic. Large units gives you a good chance to get 6 wounds through soul stealer, and then you can start challenging out enemy characters in combat (although I would stay away from killing blow).
Member of The Channel 4 News Team - We're kind of big deals

Follow me on Twitter @tomcowlin
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

I've found it to be way too many points, and you can put a much better item for the slot required. :/

I used to use it, like back in 5th/6th when it was really good.
Brad
Executioner

Post by Brad »

I remember in 4th it was practically mandatory to have a lord with BA and ex-axe. You almost never see either anymore.
A missive from the desk of Kylekin, Prince of Nhaeroth, Land of the Setting Sun

8th ed stats (W/L/D)
DE: 1/0/0
DoC: 2/1/0
Empire: 0/1/0
WoC: 0/1/0
Svarthofthi
Executioner

Post by Svarthofthi »

So then the question is now. If you HAD to use the Black Amulet how would you build your lord choices with it?
"I have heard the call to power! Who of you can say you'd dare tread the same path as I?"
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

only will take it with a Supreme Sorceress for the tactic tomcowlin has listed. A dreadlord with it is silly because there's many other powerful and more useful builds, a sorceress with it is ok because you get the standard 4+ protection and can also spend 25pts on a useful arcane item to boot. Except that makes for a very very expensive lv4 caster. I'll only ever use it on my lv4 as a one off for a bit of fun, not as a fulltime serious list
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Azimyth
Beastmaster

Post by Azimyth »

I used it to once in 7th for fun. and it was fun! I chained about 4 or 5 wounds on a great unclean one. He had the every model take a T test or suffer wound gift.
It went something like this:
1. DL takes a wound;
2. pass BA ward save, GUO takes wound;
3. GUO fails ward, all models in BTB takes a T test;
4. DL fails T test;
5. Pass BA ward;
Ect. Ect.
My opponets face was a sight to behold. I did 8 wounds over about 3 turns of close combat :)
South African Players: http://www.warhammergenerals.co.za
Religion: A cult for the masses
God Protect Me ... From Your Followers
ETC: Rules for whingers who still want to play 7th
Eolelfslayer
Dark Rider

Post by Eolelfslayer »

Well, the black amulet is still pretty decent, but ideally it suits your figthy characters much better than sorcerers. Like many posters said, if you dont plan to get the model where it can take wounds from close combat (and no sorcerer would willingly do that) you're better off with a cheaper 4 plus ward.
If, on the other hand, you wanna get stuck i'd rather recommend the amulet.
A good combo is amulet, great weapon and the armour that confers a 2 plus armour save. The pendant would probably make him harder to kill, but with the amulet you can, potentially, turn your opponent's prowess against him.
Its priceless in challanges, and works fine now that you cant clear the killzone anymore, and are bound to get return attacks.
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Svarthofthi wrote:So then the question is now. If you HAD to use the Black Amulet how would you build your lord choices with it?
The other trickster's shard, blood armour, sea dragon cloak and a halberd. You could mount him on a steed, peg or cold one if you wanted, but I wouldn't put him on a monster because it may be easier to kill the monster than him + you make your dreadlord take more hits from shooting.
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

In a unit with MR (2) so he has a 2+ ward save against magic which knocks back :P
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

The amulet only works against CC attacks, not magic missiles/direct damage spells.

Jacks -Shade

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Svarthofthi
Executioner

Post by Svarthofthi »

Yeah no backbiting fireballs unfortunately. Course the ward save is still there so it is nice to have anyways. 2+ ward save vs damaging spells and in close combat always challenge.
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

It grants you a ward save, it only reflects in cc though. Would be awesome if it worked against spells though.
Svarthofthi
Executioner

Post by Svarthofthi »

Yeah, that'd teach Teclis a thing'er two.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

ah...if only it somehow could reflect dwellers from below that teclis can pull off with 4 or 5 dice that we can't stop

Jacks -Shade

Equipment

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Dreadlord - riding a Cold One weilding a Lance & Shield and wearing Heavy Armour and a Sea Dragon Cloak. He carries the Black Amulet and a Potion of Strength. He either rides with Cold One Knights or with a unit of Corsairs bearing the Sea Serpent Standard for Frenzy (or has a Cauldron of Blood backing him up). He has between 4-6 Hatred attacks on the charge at strength 9. He kills Bloodthirsters.
Svarthofthi
Executioner

Post by Svarthofthi »

Love it.
The virgin forest
Black Guard

Post by The virgin forest »

Personally I prefer my dreadlord with Armour of Darkness, Crown of Stubborn, Pendant of Cheese and a good ol' great weapon on a dark steed, a decent tarpit that can outlive most challenges - and its really heroic to have your lord stand alone 'against all odds'.

Then have a supreme sorceress with the Black Amulet, Focus Familiar and Dark Magic hanging with some frenzied corsairs - just for the added PMS ;)
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

It's preferable to put that dreadlord on a dark pegasus just to avoid KB attacks :)

Jacks -Shade

Equipment

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Valkyre
Dark Rider

Post by Valkyre »

black amulet is a nice suprise if ye often play against the same ppl, unfortunatly, its just to expensive (read, uncombinable with other items) to be a staple of the list
Pjeos
Executioner

Post by Pjeos »

Meteor wrote:It's preferable to put that dreadlord on a dark pegasus just to avoid KB attacks :)

Dark Pegasus no longer avoid KB, sadly.

See ya
Greenbay924
Trainee Warrior

Post by Greenbay924 »

PjEOs wrote:
Meteor wrote:It's preferable to put that dreadlord on a dark pegasus just to avoid KB attacks :)

Dark Pegasus no longer avoid KB, sadly.

See ya

And that FAQ ruling makes no sense,

pg. 72 of the BRB - "Killing blow is only effective against infantry, cavalry and warbeasts - all other creatures are considered either too large to be felled by a single blow (monsters, monstrous infantry/cavalry/beasts, chariots and so on)..."

pg. 105 of the BRB - "Very rarely, a character will have the option to ride a monstrous beast. In this case, the whole model is treated as having the troop type 'monstrous cavalry' and follows all the rules for both characters and monstrous cavalry models"

"It's worth noting that the rules for Ridden Monsters do not apply to monstrous cavalry mounts - they are two distinct troop types."

And GW doesn't even follow it's own rules...

So, bloodcrushers themselves are immune to KB, but my character on DP isn't? LAME
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

That's what happens when you rely on rules loopholes. Sometimes they up and FAQ ya... ;)
Greenbay924
Trainee Warrior

Post by Greenbay924 »

I don't see how it's a loophole, from realistic standpoint (I know, we're talking about a fantasy world)

How does a generic monstrous cavalry gain a protection that a character monstrous cavalry doesn't get?

So skulltaker, who is supposed to be bigger and badder than a regular bloodcrusher, can be KBd, bu ta regular crusher is immune.

Just seems weird to me. Not really a huge issue or anything, as so few units actually have KB