Master on a chariot + black dragon egg

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Eglard
Corsair

Master on a chariot + black dragon egg

Post by Eglard »

I know that chariots are not that popular in 8th, but I figured that a master with black dragon egg on a cold one chariot would pack quite a punch. For 200p plus some mudane equipment (armour and lance) you'll get 3 attacks at str 6, 1 str 5 attack, d6 + 1 str 5 impact hits, 2d6 str 4 breath attack hits and two cold one attacks. The potential amount of kills on the charge is huge, and in my experience people do not think charioters as a big threath. Used with support of other heavy hitters to wipe the enemy out on the charge or supporting spearmen it could be effective.

So what do you think? Should such a character have something else in addition to the black dragon egg in the magic item department? Is it viable, or as stupid as a cold one draging it?
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

It's certainly viable, assuming it makes it into combat. It suffers the same drawback as all solo characters do in 8th edition though: tremendous vulnerability to warmachines and magic. If you don't expect to be facing lots of bolt throwers, cannons or stonethrowers, you'll probably be okay, but otherwise your expensive model may be dispatched in the opening turns by a well-aimed rock or similar projectile. If it manages to get off a charge though, it will do significant damage and have strong durability.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Eglard
Corsair

Post by Eglard »

I don't think magic will be as big issue as warmachines are, but then again all single models suffer from warmachines. Most of the spells (and the best ones) in 8th are better against big units, but warmachines are a problem. Regular missle fire can be dealt with a screening unit.

Edit. (The army which I planned to field this combo would also include a dragon lord, cold ones with hydra banner bsb, hydra, exequtioners, a big block of spears, some crossbows and dark riders. With 4 fast moving heavy hitters and 1 real anvil my opponent will have a hard time desiding what to shoot.)
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

eglard wrote:Edit. (The army which I planned to field this combo would also include a dragon lord, cold ones with hydra banner bsb, hydra, exequtioners, a big block of spears, some crossbows and dark riders. With 4 fast moving heavy hitters and 1 real anvil my opponent will have a hard time desiding what to shoot.)

Under these circumstances, it should work very well. You have enough nasty threats to overload your opponent's shooting, and the chariot build actually works as a good low-profile threat that can slip under your opponent's radar and get into combat while he's focusing his shooting on scarier threats.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.