2 x 20 RXB

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

The avenger
Beastmaster

Post by The avenger »

I think I'm going to try out theese two units. So far I've been using 2*10 or 1*16 Rxbs, and I haven't been too impressed, so my next games will consist only of spearmen as core. I think that's quite effective, but I have to try it ;)

Has anyone tried shooty-lists with firemagic? I beleive in this combo, combined with the Flaming Sword spell. Makes it quite easy to handle monsters, like hellpits and other hydras, don't you think? :)
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Yes, but so does shooty plus shadow or death (specifically the -1toughness one). Even metal has synergies with shooting with -1 armour or the =1 to hit spell.
Greenbay924
Trainee Warrior

Post by Greenbay924 »

The problem with fire, is you'd have to take a lvl 4 to give you a reasonable shot at getting that one spell, and then you're stuck with three other spells that are just so so.

Shadow can net you the same results, in addition to giving you 3 other pretty good spells.

My casters typically go:
lvl 4 with shadow
lvl 2 with ToF and metal
then, if enough points I'll run a lvl 2 with dispel scroll and fire (for the 33% chance of getting flaming sword).

I wouldn't bank a strategy on it though.
Doug
Warrior

Post by Doug »

In my last game I used 24 RxBs plus a Master. Give him the banner of Eternal Flame. I think it worked pretty well. Scared my opponent that he kept most of his troops a far away as possible. I admit that I deployed them in a not such a good place, but it did effect his game plan.
Douglas
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Mass RxB doesn't have much synergy with fire directly. It indirectly helps by putting extra pressure on your opponent by blasting him with more ranged attacks. It's a tactic I also would like to try out, because lore of fire is best used with a shooting army so you can maximise the use of its direct damage and magic missile spells.

But if you're after synergy between magic and RxBs, it'll have to be shadow and metal. Metal for +1 to hit along with other -AS modifying spells, and shadow for -D3 T. That Withering spell is very powerful when combined with RxB shooting.

Finally, I can't imagine much success to be had, relying on lore of fire with shooting. You'll do well against enemies that has T3 majority, and against low armour opponents. Against other shooting armies, heavily armoured foes, or T4 + heavy armour equivalent, you'll struggle.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

And if you're going for mass damage dealing, dark magic is still right up there too.
Afterimagedan
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Afterimagedan »

I have been having a lot of luck with Dark lore lately. I really like chillwind and doombolt has proven to be a very good spell.
... __i___
... ) ) ) ) ) r
. \OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~

myspace.com/afterimage
Auere
Noble

Post by Auere »

Has anyone tried shooty-lists with firemagic? I beleive in this combo, combined with the Flaming Sword spell. Makes it quite easy to handle monsters, like hellpits and other hydras, don't you think? Smile

Flaming sword is absolutely great in collaboration with shooting. +1 to wound is huge, since it allows you to wound warmachines and T6 monsters on 5 rather than 6 with repeater crossbows - really it is much better than +1 to hit!

Especially for shades: You should try the flaming sword on 10+ shades with an assassin. Everything just dies, including warmaschines and monsters!
L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

Xzazzarai wrote:Apart from Sulla (Who seems to be a real pessimist)

2x20 it is! I'll try them out this weekend and probably take' em for a tournament.

I like them, and like taking them to tourney for one simple reason: template can miss, just like bows can miss. it's the parts that make the whole- when it comes to a tourney, I'll take whatever I can to win ;) lol
Oderint dum Metuant.
Silic
Noble

Post by Silic »

Can larger (say 25-30) unit of RXBs also serve as our infantry blocks? I'm thinking a Lothern Seaguard playstyle. Essentially they can be seen as hand weapon and shield infantry with the option to pull out ranged weapons when desired.
Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Post by Malus99 »

Scion wrote:Can larger (say 25-30) unit of RXBs also serve as our infantry blocks? I'm thinking a Lothern Seaguard playstyle. Essentially they can be seen as hand weapon and shield infantry with the option to pull out ranged weapons when desired.

certainly viable, I think the optimum number for a more combat oriented unit is 30 in 10X3 so that in combat it gets 30 attacks (if all models in contact) and can put out 40 in the shooting phase, or if it needs the ranks can reform to be 5X6. I think the optimum number for a more 'shooty' orientated crossbowman unit is 20 so that you do not have excess models who can't shoot without being excessively wide.
Veni, Vidi, Voro!!!

All things perish, this is the law of existence, accept your suffering and your mortality, only by using this truth, can you transcend it.