D.R.A.I.C.H-Magic Items Summary - 8th Edition Update

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Mordrin
Warrior

Post by Mordrin »

Meteor wrote:The point is, PoS is a one use item, if you're taking that reroll to wound weapon, it's not a very useful boost and a waste of 30pts. If you used it in conjunction with the Hydra Blade or one of those +x attacks weapons then it's more useful for a one round big burst of damage. 4 attacks isn't enough to kill a monster, nor swing a ACR fight to your favour significantly.

Too often I get owned by bad dice rolls. Always when it should be the easy hits and wounds I fail.
S4 with constant re-rolls to hit and to wound works to wound most basic infantry.
And I for one like the option of having an almost 100% guarantee to get off 4 S7 atleast once per battle. Sure it will not kill a dragon on its own, but it might just finish it off. :)
Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Post by Malus99 »

On this issue I think I have to go with mordrin I think, You raise very valid points meteor but I think the '7' rating is reasonable because of the much higher reliability, I'm probably not going to be using it in my lists as I use heartseeker with a master and blood armour, but I think this could be useful as an insurance policy, in a game which can be ruled by chance, I think having such a reliable combo is a reasonable choice.
Veni, Vidi, Voro!!!

All things perish, this is the law of existence, accept your suffering and your mortality, only by using this truth, can you transcend it.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Oh, I'm not saying the rating should be lower, it is a fine combo for a one off hands down. It might make a difference where it counts with the rerolls. I personally like consistency and allowing my Dreadlord more options than just infantry class units that have a lower toughness value. :)
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Post by Malus99 »

fair enough :)
Veni, Vidi, Voro!!!

All things perish, this is the law of existence, accept your suffering and your mortality, only by using this truth, can you transcend it.
Malekii
Shade

Post by Malekii »

Venom sword+dragon=no more dragon and cloak of hag graef is only 25points and it makes you pretty much invulnerable to shooting plus you still have plenty of points left to spend.
Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Post by Malus99 »

Calisson wrote:Ranger’s Standard
One more use is with the COB. A warmachine considers all terrains (save hills) as impassable and must stop at 1". Ever be blocked by a river?

As pointed out by blondeshade in another thread, strider prevents dangerous terrain tests, but it does not allow you to voluntarily move through dangerous terrain, so the ranger's standard will have no effects whatsoever on the CoB since it cannot actually go into dangerous terrain because it treats all terrain bar hills and open as impassable. Have edited this out of the main post now, so watch out everyone, Ranger's standard does not let warmachines pass through terrain they would otherwise not be able to pass.
Veni, Vidi, Voro!!!

Camaris
Black Guard

Post by Camaris »

As a whole, I like the article. The only comment, I had was concerning the wizarding hat. I am by no means advocating the use of this item, and I understand the reasoning behind your comments. However, I think that saying it's completely worthless, may be a bit too harsh. With 8th edition magic, there are useful spells in every lore, so the dreadlord has a fairly good chance of getting something he can use, and if he rolls good, he might just win the game for you. As a result of this, I'd probably give it a 2 or a 3. It's not something I'd recommend for competitive play, but if players want to take it for amusement purposes, they should see some use out of it.
Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Post by Malus99 »

Camaris wrote:As a whole, I like the article. The only comment, I had was concerning the wizarding hat. I am by no means advocating the use of this item, and I understand the reasoning behind your comments. However, I think that saying it's completely worthless, may be a bit too harsh. With 8th edition magic, there are useful spells in every lore, so the dreadlord has a fairly good chance of getting something he can use, and if he rolls good, he might just win the game for you. As a result of this, I'd probably give it a 2 or a 3. It's not something I'd recommend for competitive play, but if players want to take it for amusement purposes, they should see some use out of it.

ok, I agree with that, but I think it only gets a 1 for taking your entire magic items quota and being exceptionally expensive
Veni, Vidi, Voro!!!