45%
Metal
11%

Total votes: 47

Malekii
Shade

Best spells

Post by Malekii »

What is in your opinion the best (or you favourite) spell and why? Mine is Doom and Darkness due to its effects on stupidity (and Scaven)
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

You missed Metal in your list.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Malekii
Shade

Post by Malekii »

Please post for metal
Never trust a monster wearing a top hat

Hi, i'm Malekii but you can call me My Lord.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

lolololol you ditz.

It's a hard one between shadow and dark for me. Personally, Shadow is just awsome when you're running S3 R&F heavy. But after a tournament today, Dark is still the best in my books. I had been trying to make metal and shadow as a combo work, it sort of does, but shadow and dark is still just devastating when I took the plunge and reverted back to that combo.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Post by Malus99 »

I favour shadow because of the synergy with our army, they way it can augment your forces and can turn a mediocre unit into a brilliant one, such a use of magic will always outstrip a destructive spell in my opinion, although shadow has its destructive spell too. Shadow is closely followed by Dark IMO

Favourite spell is probably the withering because we have few high-strength attacks we can make, this spell takes a spearman and makes him do damage, second place comes the enfeebling foe because we are an army of expensive T3 models so the weaker they are the less of our expensive and easy to kill models will be lost. There are flashier spells, there are more destructive spells, but when it comes down to it, if you kill more of them and they kill less of you, its a good deal.
Last edited by Malus99 on Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Veni, Vidi, Voro!!!

All things perish, this is the law of existence, accept your suffering and your mortality, only by using this truth, can you transcend it.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Dark magic, it’s easy to cast and with some brilliant spells. Chill wind and word of pain may just be the best spells in the game all things considered.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Added Metal in. ;)

Bye
Thanee
Xzazzarai
Corsair

Post by Xzazzarai »

Death is awesome. With PoD and the dagger... Man, there is no end to the PD you can generate. Allso, it has Lots of usefull spells, with only one being really bad.

Though, with high casting value, you should have a level 4 caster for it.
With a level 2, I'd say Dark or Shadow
ETC Team Sweden
2011 - Dark Elves
2012 - Undecided
Dante valentine
Cold One Knight

Post by Dante valentine »

I've voted fire, and this is a little strange as I feel this Lore has no amazing skills and there are lores that are much more useful, in certain circumstances.

I like fire for the basic reason that it is generally useful regardless of what level your mage is and what army you are against.

As a general who likes to think of himself as someone who enjoys the feel more than the winning, I rotate Lores pretty often but when it comes to magic, if i have to make a snap decision, fire is always my bad boy.

Nothing makes me feel better than hitting the enemy with huge fireballs and burning their ugly, non elvish, faces off.

As much as i love shadow, as someone stated somewhere on this forum, you have to commit your troops to melee before you cast the spell, which can lead to disaster, of course when it goes right, then its awesome.

Death never appeals to me, i prefer to meet my opponents characters face to spiky visor, laughing insanely as i see their feear!

So - Vote Fire! It might not be the absolute best when compared to others but it is damn useful as a general lore!

D

Edit: Don't hate me!
Valkyre
Dark Rider

Post by Valkyre »

Metal for me (and i am the first for it)

why metal?

metal has 2 buffs, buffs are ALWAYS good (while hexes are situational, and leave the opponent the chance to dispell or otherwise migitate the effect) and metal has the one all comers mass destrution spell we can call on (not needing a combi to lower ini first). I also very much like the stupidity side effect of it.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Starts to become useless when it's applied to armies like Ogres where a unit doesn't have a lot, and you need 6's instead.

Jacks -Shade

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Meteor wrote:Starts to become useless when it's applied to armies like Ogres where a unit doesn't have a lot, and you need 6's instead.
but you still get the buffs and mass danage spell so 3 out of 6 are still effective. plus ogres are pussies for the DE to handle. Metal gives us a way of killing armour, which is our weakness without the CoB
"Luck is the residue of design"
Babnik
Black Guard

Post by Babnik »

When I play heavy magic, L4 + L2, lore of shadow and dark magic are my usual choice.
However I have used lore of metal during my last tourney. I had only a L2 sorceress, and beside a great cast of ultimate transmutation on 24 WoC (16 warriors turned into gold, including the BSB), my magic phases were extremely disapointing.
But it is definitely not due to the lore but to the weakness of a L2!
Our club's facebook page:
Fantastique Bataillon de Joinville
Look for French tourneys pics galleries!
Valkyre
Dark Rider

Post by Valkyre »

Metal default spell power is not so much in the ignoring AS saves part, but in making toughness irrelevant at all, the easiest way to kill T5/ T6 medium armoured monsters there is (dragon, hydra, stegadon, chariots), and the golden hounds make a good job on singling out the chars in there as well, where the look out sir option will just make it a multi model killing spell after all.

orges are quite resistant to spell 6, but do not like to take stupidity tests still (and no kills are needed to force those).

metal is just good value for casting costs in my opinion with spells that are always usefull to have, it just might be there are no good targets for the signature one and golden hounds, but then you do not need to swap out for the signature anyway (only vs deamons of chaos and high elves I can see that being the case, if no silverhelms, no dragons, no bloodcrushers in the army).
Flash29
Assassin

Post by Flash29 »

well look out sirs make it basicly irrelevant, you rather have the the signature. but if your up against a heavy armoured armour you could use 2 such spells
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

I'm pretty sure it says you need to inflict a kill before stupidity comes into effect.

And the greatest drawback for metal is exactly what babnik has mentioned. Because I too, had to submit to Shadow and Dark Magic combo when I used Lv4 + Lv2 and the Lv2 used Metal. She hardly ever casted so she was a 180pt chaneller and lifetaker shooter most of the time.

I find a Lv2 can't cope with the demands of the spells. And it's not so useful giving it to a Lv4 when she should be taking other more necessary lores. Glittering Robe, the most wanted spell in metal, would be more forgiving imo, if its basic version was a single target within 24", and a bubble effect at 12" range. That way it's more flexible and still Lv2 friendly. The lore itself isn't Lv2 friendly at all, signature spell needing 10 to cast? I'll stick to my 5+ miasma thanks, or 5+ fireball or 5+ chillwind.

It doesn't have the mass destruction effect the other lores we can take have. And especially in 8th ed now, everyone's taking bigger units, making a D6 attack very dismal. Notable exceptions would be monsters with a respectable AS, or small units of knights. But your opponent would save his dice to dispel your golden hound or searing doom then, and wouldn't worry about the rest. I certainly wouldn't give a rats about 3+ save T3 elves if my Dragon lives and gets into CC.

What makes the other lores more desirable for me is their greater range, greater damage output, and especially for dark magic, the low casting values. Making your magic phases more reliable when winds of magic turns foul on you. The more consistent you can be with your magic, the more pressure you'll put on your opponent.

Having said that though, I am still going to continue experimenting with metal, since I'm planning to take my double BG list I posted up, and I think it'll benefit greatly from metal, especially glittering robes. Allowing my precious BGs to become much more resilient against pie plates and shooting. Though it means I need to tinker with it for a lv3.

Jacks -Shade

Equipment

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Lord_skrolk
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lord_skrolk »

Hey guys

I like the Death Magic a lot! It is great to kill Heros or great monsters with one spell. Its awsom to look at your enemy wenn a monster with LD 5 dies...

I think the speel how reduced the leadership -3 is also very good. when you are charging it better to have a ld of 5 than 8.

what i realy like is harpies causes fear!!! when you play anganst skaven harpies with fear are golden.

Lord Skrolk