Assassins

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Archangel189
Slave on the Altar

Assassins

Post by Archangel189 »

So what are your thoughts on the use of assassins? Are they worth the points and what success or failure have you had with them?
Lovok
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lovok »

The reason I don´t field assassins is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmOS2v898o0&feature=related
L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

Assassins are powerful if used properly. In 8th, it's the only Hidden unit we have.

You can get an extra inch on the charge for the unit if you reveal them. REALLY hard to beat in a Challenge, unless they whip out Chakax.

But delicate. Insanely so. Most people just use them for the 'bomb drop' solution of revealing and dropping a whole bunch of Rending Stars w/ ManBane then writing them off for the rest of the game.

ShadowBlade is considered... VERY bad sport. Because many opponents are cowards.
Oderint dum Metuant.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

I'm still a big fan of Assassins. I run them with extra attacks and Killing Blow and no character is willing to stand in front of one. And surprisingly my opponents don't swing on them because they don't like hitting on 5's. They are pretty squishy but stick one in a unit of Spearmen and they'll take on just about anything. I've had VERY good luck with them!

Regarding Shadowblade, he is the WORST Assassin in the world. Only four attacks and no armour?! Really?? For 300ish points??? I would be thrilled if my opponents brought him out because I consider him a huge waste of points. I've fielded him twice and both times he died to rank and file troops. Maybe I'm using him wrong but I think he's terrible.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Carolus
Executioner

Post by Carolus »

L1qw1d wrote:You can get an extra inch on the charge for the unit if you reveal them

What?
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

I think Llquld is thinking of 7th edition?
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

No, i guess he means that the Assassins have movement 6, so if you charge him out of a unit, you have one extra inch of movement on the charge, leaving the unit behind.
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Assassins? I love them. The last list I posted contained two combat ones, and boy did they make a huge difference to the outcomes of my combats. I've never tried the typical rending star manbane assassin, but contrary to the theoretical claims that CC Assassins die really easily, it's not so. I mean, sure they do die in combat, but as stated, no one likes to hit on 5+, and to me, the more attacks they divert to bring the Assassin down, the better, since they can only get a maximum of +2 ACR for killing, and I retain more bodies for steadfast in subsequent rounds of combat if needed.

I give them manbane, AHW and +D3 attacks, an excellent glass cannon that can take on all situations. You can potentially kill a dragon, they're excellent at destroying chariots and can butcher Ogres and infantry. The only thing they're not advisable to tackle are T3 knights and characters since you'll only strike at S4 which can't really get pass their AS. See how comfortable a Tyrant gets when your Assassin bursts out a minimum of 5 S6 attacks that'll wound on 3's or 4.

The trick for my success with them, is to not reveal them straight away. I only reveal them when I actually need their assistance, or when the fight is on my terms because then I don't risk exposing them to getting killed.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Jbtheslipperking
Executioner

Post by Jbtheslipperking »

Asassins need to be very cleverly used to make up their points. Sometimes they will die fast afte just killing a few core troops, but many time they can win the game for you. The star+manbane asassin in shade unit will give the shade unit the punch it needs to take out small units and OK/Dwarf warmashines and the stars puts a dent in high T units that might make the difference in the cc later to come. 150-170p is a chunk so I only bring one in 2500+ games.
Wtf, dragon`s breath is not flamable ?
L1qw1d

Post by L1qw1d »

oh yeh they took that reveal trick away, didn't they? We can still freely move him from Inf. unit to Inf. unit if they're within range tho, yeh?

Come to think of it...why do we have SCOUTS that aren't HIDDEN?! 'Hi. I'm going to start over to your right. You're going to have a hard time shooting me but...oh why did you have to but a small squad of Specials there to counter me?'
Oderint dum Metuant.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

L1qw1d wrote:
Come to think of it...why do we have SCOUTS that aren't HIDDEN?!

So that the Assassin may join a unit of Shades that are scouting, and remain hidden in them.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Madrid69
Trainee Warrior

Post by Madrid69 »

I don't know...

Assassin: AHW, Killing blow, +D attacks is 151 points...

Pop that out, B2B with enemy lord, and he already earns his points back. If you take down a WIzard Lord, even more.

He hits on 2+ most of the time (WITH re-roll), and any 6 to wound: Killing blow. He has 5-7 attacks.

Go Figure...
Flash29
Assassin

Post by Flash29 »

Madrid69 wrote:
He hits on 2+ most of the time (WITH re-roll), and any 6 to wound: Killing blow. He has 5-7 attacks.

Go Figure...

thats 3+'s
Sulphunet
Dark Rider

Post by Sulphunet »

I use assassins all the time, I once created a list with Shadowblade and two other assassins. With a Dreadlord for the general lol

Being able to appear out of nowhere is great, opponents never expect them. But if you are to only include one, make sure you have 171pts to use and give the assassin a 2nd hand weapon, Rune of Khaine, Touch of Death, and Dark Venom. It's a killer combo
Success is measured in blood. Either yours, or your enemy's.

L1qw1d

Post by L1qw1d »

Meteor wrote:So that the Assassin may join a unit of Shades that are scouting, and remain hidden in them.

That explains why we have the Hidden and Scout on the Sin...
Oderint dum Metuant.