Unkillable Dread on chariot

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Druchiinoob
Shade

Unkillable Dread on chariot

Post by Druchiinoob »

Hey guys been looking a the unkillable dread lord builds I dnt see how he is unkillable. I was also wondering if its viable to put him on a chariot which would give him higher toughness. Less wounds getting through to attempt to save.

Or could I stick him on a cold one as I don't have a pegasus yet.
Silic
Noble

Post by Silic »

Well the term 'unkillable' is certainly an exaggeration, as there is always a way to kill something; His is only a bit harder to find. Tactically, when the unkillable dreadlord idea came about, I believe the Pegasus was the mount of choice because it can fly, giving the build extreme flexibility and warmachine capabilities. Perhaps a chariot could work in place, though the general idea is more akin to bogging things down rather than being a hammer.
Flash29
Assassin

Post by Flash29 »

cold one is the better choice, because chariots count as mounted on monsters for purpose of templates and cannons, which means both will be hit. 1 cannonshot shall destroy the chariot, and you will be walking. als your as is 1 worse. and you can't march as a charriot.

he's unkillable because you give him a 1+ as and a reversed ward save, which means he has between a 4+ to a 2+ ws. and of course ld 10 with the crown of command makes breaking him very hard. for 253 -258? points its a great deal.
sure he can die, but killing him is very, very hard
Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

Dark peggy is much better if hes going to be out and about by himself.
Chariot is ok but you can be shot off it.
Cold one is ok, but lacks speed.
As to being unkillable, hvy,shield,seadrg cloak, mounted, dragon bane helm, pendent, whip of agony.

You have a 1+ armour, 2+ward vs fire, reverse ward, 5 attacks at st5 ap. You are highly unkillable.
Flyers for the win in 8th.

DEATH FROM ABOVE DRUCIH AIR CAV!!!!

The Machine will grind you down.

The League of Extraordinary Druchii
Varghulf
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Varghulf »

My unkillable dreadlord is
Giant blade
Reverse ward
Heavy armour
Enchanted shield
Sea dragon
Cold one
Ichiyo1821
Highborn

Post by Ichiyo1821 »

Chariot is a no go. It sort of defeats the purpose of the Dreadlord since you can target the chariot on top of the fact that you lose a lot of mobility with Chariot rules. Best is still Dark Pegasus then Darksteed then Cold One. If you plan to use a COK unit with the Dreadlord in it, then COK before DS.
8th Edition

W/D/L
86/1/5

New AB
W/D/L
32/1/0

9th Age
W/D/L

Vae Victis
Character kill count -182

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Armies
Dark Elves
Dark Eldar
Death Korps of Kreig
Druchiinoob
Shade

Post by Druchiinoob »

He not unkillable anymore not against the terrorgheist and its shooting attack. 2d6 plus 6 (wounds left) beats ld 10 by 3 alot
L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

does the Character in the Chariot use the 3+ the same way the rest of the unit does?
Oderint dum Metuant.
Ichiyo1821
Highborn

Post by Ichiyo1821 »

druchiinoob wrote:He not unkillable anymore not against the terrorgheist and its shooting attack. 2d6 plus 6 (wounds left) beats ld 10 by 3 alot

First of all he was never "unkillable" in the first place. I don't know who coined that setup that way but zzz to him. Second, if you know he has a Terrorgheist, why would you send your Dreadlord against that? If he does have a Terrogheist it means all his points are there and his Lord level character which is the general, sure put him there so I can actually shoot and target him with spells. Much easier for me rather than him being in a unit of Ghouls or GG. Seriously presumptions that one is dumb enough to throw anything against something that can kill it is the makings of a... I don't know what term to use...
8th Edition

W/D/L
86/1/5

New AB
W/D/L
32/1/0

9th Age
W/D/L

Vae Victis
Character kill count -182

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Armies
Dark Elves
Dark Eldar
Death Korps of Kreig
Dirty Mac
Assassin

Post by Dirty Mac »

Pardon my newness, But +1 AS means, you need a 1 or higher to pass,
and you will always pass unless the attackers have modifiers like armour
Piercing or something to make it a 2+ or 3+ or Killing Blow. correct?
Rejoice and Revel in the Triumph of the Dark.

C_freman
Dark Rider

Post by C_freman »

No, a 1 is always a failure, even if you have a 1+ AS. It simply provides better protection vs high strength attacks.
Dirty Mac
Assassin

Post by Dirty Mac »

ok, so rolling a 1 fails, but everything else passes?
Rejoice and Revel in the Triumph of the Dark.

Druchiinoob
Shade

Post by Druchiinoob »

Ichiyo1821 wrote:
druchiinoob wrote:He not unkillable anymore not against the terrorgheist and its shooting attack. 2d6 plus 6 (wounds left) beats ld 10 by 3 alot

First of all he was never "unkillable" in the first place. I don't know who coined that setup that way but zzz to him. Second, if you know he has a Terrorgheist, why would you send your Dreadlord against that? If he does have a Terrogheist it means all his points are there and his Lord level character which is the general, sure put him there so I can actually shoot and target him with spells. Much easier for me rather than him being in a unit of Ghouls or GG. Seriously presumptions that one is dumb enough to throw anything against something that can kill it is the makings of a... I don't know what term to use...

I see your point. Just someone i play was mentioning all the good stuff and how it could kill the supposably unkillable dreadlord. He nevermentioned the downsides (why would he) So what would you surgest to take this new monster out. I mean even if i avoid it with the dreadlord its still going cause heavy casultys to most units even the hydra
Diablo
Cold One Knight

Post by Diablo »

First of all the dreadlord wasnt unkillable even before. He was only harder to kill. Things denying As with low or none S (eg bloodcurdling roar, half of Death Lore spells) or depending on build (no dragonhelm) half of lore of metal spells had him for breakfast.

Since death shriek is:
A Death Shriek is a special attack that can be used against a single UNIT in the Shooting phase.... AND has range 8, depending on the build you should be able either to avoid him OR sit safely in some unit... And T6 W6 with any decent save isnt something RxBs should not handle... And for its cost i would much rather like to see terrorgheist on the table than 28 ghouls...

Geist wrote:As to being unkillable, hvy,shield,seadrg cloak, mounted, dragon bane helm, pendent, whip of agony.

You are true except for one thing. Stubborn is a MUST for true unkillable dreadlord because that way you can throw him against practicaly anything and he should be able to hold that for a LONG time. So you have to choose between having 5 S5 attacks and being vulnerable to fire or like 4 S6 AP attacks (soulrender) but having "only" 2+ As or having 1+ As but having only 4 S5 attacks (sword of might).
L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

given that it's a unit, wouldn't he get the Look Out roll?
Oderint dum Metuant.
Masked jackal
Noble

Post by Masked jackal »

L1qw1d wrote:given that it's a unit, wouldn't he get the Look Out roll?

'Unit' also includes stand-alone characters.
8th Edition Druchii War Report:
W/D/L: 30/1/15
http://www.freedomstudios.net/boredlife/boards/index.php?sid=18db5076e750fafca78c5ae7ed86bab3
Bored Life: Forum for RPs and general discussion in need of new blood. PM for details.
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Ichiyo1821 wrote: If he does have a Terrogheist it means all his points are there and his Lord level character which is the general, sure put him there so I can actually shoot and target him with spells.
Terrorgeist can (and should always) be taken as rare choices.
tmr
Executioner

Post by tmr »

so what is better being stubbron using the crown or harder to hit using something like the ring of drakness. which then leads to another question does the ring affect the tomb kings archers?
Diablo
Cold One Knight

Post by Diablo »

sulla wrote:Terrorgeist can (and should always) be taken as rare choices.

Whats the pros and cons? The obvious pro is you have to kill both rider and gheist to get any VPs, but right now i cannot find anything else.

tmr wrote:so what is better being stubbron using the crown or harder to hit using something like the ring of drakness. which then leads to another question does the ring affect the tomb kings archers?

IMHO definitely stubborn. That way you can throw him against almost anything and be almost sure he will hold that thing down. With 1+ As and reverse ward he is protected quite enough but if not stubborn, one round of bad rolling and hes likely to be broken due to SCR (+3CR for ranks, +1 for banner, perhaps even BSB/rear/flank.......)

As for the ring, yeah it should work against tomb king archers but are those the real pain in TK army?
tmr
Executioner

Post by tmr »

So i thought the TK always hit on 5+ no matter what... but i guess it does not matter... i'm thinking i like the crown now

Diablo wrote:

Whats the pros and cons? The obvious pro is you have to kill both rider and gheist to get any VPs, but right now i cannot find anything else.

tmr wrote:so what is better being stubbron using the crown or harder to hit using something like the ring of drakness. which then leads to another question does the ring affect the tomb kings archers?

IMHO definitely stubborn. That way you can throw him against almost anything and be almost sure he will hold that thing down. With 1+ As and reverse ward he is protected quite enough but if not stubborn, one round of bad rolling and hes likely to be broken due to SCR (+3CR for ranks, +1 for banner, perhaps even BSB/rear/flank.......)

As for the ring, yeah it should work against tomb king archers but are those the real pain in TK army?
Diablo
Cold One Knight

Post by Diablo »

tmr wrote:So i thought the TK always hit on 5+ no matter what... but i guess it does not matter... i'm thinking i like the crown now

IMHO they only ignore any modifiers and their to hit is only taken from their BS. Since ring making them hitting at half BS it should work. The same is IMHO for word of pain or miasma but still there are worse thing in TK army than their archers.
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Diablo wrote:

?

A VC lord and his monster mount will use up the entire lord allowance of his army in most battles being played.

killing the VC lord (general) will severely hamper a VC army due to crumblling.

Even though it's t6 and regen, there are plenty of units that can chew through it in a couple of phases of combat or shooting. Once the vampire is on his own, he is usually easy meat to CR.

Because it can be taken without a rider, there's no real reason to take it with one. Keep your lord safe in a bunker while your killy stuff ranges out ahead. If a hero could ride it, it would be a different story, although still probably easy points for war machines (other than RBTs, of course), especially cannons, since they can hit both parts with the same shot.
Diablo
Cold One Knight

Post by Diablo »

sulla wrote:...Once the vampire is on his own, he is usually easy meat to CR.

Ok, forgot the crumbling due to lost combat, my bad. With taking that into account, i have to agree.