Shadowblade - Worth it?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Mogwai
Trainee Warrior

Shadowblade - Worth it?

Post by Mogwai »

Im thinking of adding the old boy to my 2250 List for a Tourny next week. Have any of you used him? Aside form the awesome fluff factor and tons of abilities is he worth his points? The fact that he can assassinate key figures by surprise (given u don't roll a 1) and possibly cripple armies seems almost with it.

He does have a attractive stat line as well..

What do you think?
Masked jackal
Noble

Post by Masked jackal »

If he had a good amount of attacks, he might be. As is, he's a ludicrous amount of points for too much of a longshot.
8th Edition Druchii War Report:
W/D/L: 30/1/15
http://www.freedomstudios.net/boredlife/boards/index.php?sid=18db5076e750fafca78c5ae7ed86bab3
Bored Life: Forum for RPs and general discussion in need of new blood. PM for details.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

When there are other models to attack, enemies will generally attack other models because they don't like hitting on 5's. But when he's alone and they have to attack him, he dies with amazing efficiency. I've fielded him twice and he is absolutely, 100%, without a doubt, not worth the points.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Hes only worth the points if your playing against Teclis.
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Shadowblade - Worth it?

Post by Sulla »

mogwai wrote:Im thinking of adding the old boy to my 2250 List for a Tourny next week. Have any of you used him? Aside form the awesome fluff factor and tons of abilities is he worth his points? The fact that he can assassinate key figures by surprise (given u don't roll a 1) and possibly cripple armies seems almost with it.

He does have a attractive stat line as well..

What do you think?
If you are using him to assassinate anyone, he is an epic fail. Too few points and he can be thwarted by a unit champion challenging him in a big unit, or by a 4+ ward save on a lord and support attcks from his unit.

About the only army he's really worth it against these days is dwarves, where he can be used to kill a 180pt grudge thrower (whose actual value vs DE is far greater)

Other than that, his optimum target would be a man sized wizard lord with no ward save in a unit od 16pt s2 t2 ws1 models... not too likely to come across those in games though.

Leave him to killing the entire crews of dragon ships; I can only imagine they are easier to deal with than 10 goblins.
Ichiyo1821
Highborn

Post by Ichiyo1821 »

For fun...yes

For sheer shock factor against someone who doesn't know him...yes

To kick Teclis' ass...yes

For a serious game....no
8th Edition

W/D/L
86/1/5

New AB
W/D/L
32/1/0

9th Age
W/D/L

Vae Victis
Character kill count -182

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Armies
Dark Elves
Dark Eldar
Death Korps of Kreig
Mogwai
Trainee Warrior

Post by Mogwai »

Thanks for the responses. Used him last night in a 2500 point game.
I completely agree to the previous posts.

YES - To shock factor! Took a few minutes to explain to my opponent that I was not making up the rules with him. Even after I showed him the DE Army Book . Hahah

YES - To A non serious / Casual Game.

No - For serious play.

All in all I wish there was a cheaper version of this guy.

Thanks again
Amoronspeaking
Slave on the Altar

Post by Amoronspeaking »

if he has teclis he probably has someone who can force him into a challenge... i always bring two people who can challenge out of allowing things like that to happen.