New Name for CoK's

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Mime
Black Guard

New Name for CoK's

Post by Mime »

Hey all. Had a bit of a sleppless night last night and as these things do in the wee small hours a rather strange thing hit me. Our Cold one Knights are the only nightly Order that has a description for what they are as their name.

You don't find silver helms called Med-horse Efl-Knights, or Knitghts of the Realm with some inane semi descriptive title. So why have we been lumbered with it?

Would there be any desire as a community to invent our own title for our Heavy Cav? Also would there be any point? I know GW used to accept input form the gaming world but do they still listen?
Whip me, beat me, bash me, crash me, throw me against the wall, oh ah baby I love it when you treat me rough!!!
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Nope to all of the above.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: New Name for CoK's

Post by Rabidnid »

mime wrote:Hey all. Had a bit of a sleppless night last night and as these things do in the wee small hours a rather strange thing hit me. Our Cold one Knights are the only nightly Order that has a description for what they are as their name.

You don't find silver helms called Med-horse Efl-Knights, or Knitghts of the Realm with some inane semi descriptive title. So why have we been lumbered with it?

Would there be any desire as a community to invent our own title for our Heavy Cav? Also would there be any point? I know GW used to accept input form the gaming world but do they still listen?

That actually seems reasonable. Mine have a lot of names that aren't really printable though, as they are usually related to failed stupidity rolls.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Cold one knights does fine because no other knights ride cold ones. Dragon knights are so called for the same reason (kind of).
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

Well, Dragon Princes is a societal label amongst High Elf culture. It denotes that they're from Caledor, and that they're Caledorian nobility, even though they don't literally ride dragons.

I think the name "Cold One Knights" isn't quite as literal as it might seem. Sure, they're knights who ride Cold Ones, but fluff-wise there's something else there too. They sacrifice physical sensation and tactile sense in exchange for a powerful, scary dinosaur companion that lets them further their own ambition and battlefield prowess. So "Cold One" refers to their dinosaur, but also refers to their personalities. I can't think of many people who would be willing to sacrifice physical sensation in exchange for heightened social standing and the ability to kick someone's ass more effectively. It's cold, detached, and frankly pretty scary, i.e. "Cold One" refers to the rider as well as the mount.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

That is why I said kind of (my mistake on the knights/prince thing though), now it is a label given to Caledorian nobles but it is based on the fact that they used to ride dragons en mass back in the good old days.

It is entirely possible for there to be orders of knights within dark elf society, although there are no mentions of such. You only have to look at other armies to see that generic labels are all the rage in the army books. Chaos knights is a blanket term but there we knew that there are plenty of individual war bands and even the odd knightly order. Boar riders, Cold one riders (LM), It seems to me that only in recent books has GW taken to giving them more esoteric names. Brettonians are an exception as they are a knightly army and for the empire they needed something because otherwise they would just be called knights.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Gentleman of Moderation
Ataroth
Dark Rider

Post by Ataroth »

AFAIK aren't Pegasus Knights simply called just that, Pegasus Knights, and they are Brettonians to. Lizardmen have it worse. Their cavalry is called Saurus Cavalry... wonder how they came up with that name. Give that they also ride Cold Ones, I'm quite pleased at the fact that we're the ones who gets to call them Cold One Knights.
"Submit To Self Destruction"
Wargamer lester
Warrior

Post by Wargamer lester »

Dumb Dinosaur Riders?

Serious: Call the Dread Knights and name the Champion something else.
Mime
Black Guard

Post by Mime »

Tethlis wrote:Well, Dragon Princes is a societal label amongst High Elf culture. It denotes that they're from Caledor, and that they're Caledorian nobility, even though they don't literally ride dragons.

I think the name "Cold One Knights" isn't quite as literal as it might seem. Sure, they're knights who ride Cold Ones, but fluff-wise there's something else there too. They sacrifice physical sensation and tactile sense in exchange for a powerful, scary dinosaur companion that lets them further their own ambition and battlefield prowess. So "Cold One" refers to their dinosaur, but also refers to their personalities. I can't think of many people who would be willing to sacrifice physical sensation in exchange for heightened social standing and the ability to kick someone's ass more effectively. It's cold, detached, and frankly pretty scary, i.e. "Cold One" refers to the rider as well as the mount.

This.
I hadn't thought about it in this way. Guess I won't be able to think of them as merely having a discriptive name again.

Kudos
Whip me, beat me, bash me, crash me, throw me against the wall, oh ah baby I love it when you treat me rough!!!
Blondshade
Executioner

Post by Blondshade »

our cold one knights area copy of lizardman ones so i support it 100%

i think they should be called rapter riders like the dinosaurs that way theyare like what you said about "Our Cold one Knights are the only nightly Order that has a description for what they are as their name. "

that and rapter jesus is awesome
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Lizardmen got Coldones a good while after us so it is they who are doing the copying. Also Coldones are not dionsaurs and they certainly are not even remotly raptorish.

Gentleman of Moderation
Blondshade
Executioner

Post by Blondshade »

Dinosaur*

how arethey not rapters. they look just like them, here check this link out
http://www.google.com/search?gcx=c&q=ra ... 04&bih=707

i think the cold ones spawn in the southlands and the lizardman sells them to the dark elves for slaves

so if that isnt a good name, how about we call them cold blood killers.

i like this idea
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

The Malus Darkblade books call Cold ones dragon kin. Not official but in lieu of other evidence telling.

Someone may correct me if I am wrong but I believe that Cold Ones were found in underground caves and are indigenous both to Naggaroth and to Lustria. There are no Cold Ones in the southlands but rather a smaller breed named Horned ones.

As for the raptor thing their heads are too big, their jaws too heavy and they are slower than raptor dinosaurs. They are closer to Carnosuars or Tyrannosaurs in build. But again they are not dinosaurs, just saying.

Also the Lizardmen would certainly never trade with Dark elves, they are not part of the old ones plan and they keep nicking their stuff besides which they have no need of slaves.

Gentleman of Moderation
Blondshade
Executioner

Post by Blondshade »

so what do the lizardman do with the dark elves?
i couldve sworn they sold the rapter creatures for slaves but maybe that was an old edition. then since the rapters were in a different environment they evloved differently than the original ones the lizardmen sold
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Kill them when they can and avoid them the rest of the time.

Gentleman of Moderation
Blondshade
Executioner

Post by Blondshade »

so do the lizardmen kill a lot of dark elves? Would they wipe us out if they all mobilize to attack or would we be fine?

what do you recommend for a cok name. how about death riders or slayers on rapters or something along those lines
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

The DE Cold Ones are an odd lot, if compared to actual dinosaurs.

The arm proportions are definitely raptorish, as is the big sickle-claw on the feet. On the other side, their legs and tails are definitely too short for the raptor family, the lower legs should be about 50% longer and the tail about double the lenght. In that their proportions are much more like the tyrannosaurs.

The heads split the difference - too big for raptors, too small for tyrannosaurs. Maybe close to an allosaur?

Size is all wrong too. Obviously too small for most carnosuars, much too big for most raptors - including the Velociraptor which was about the size of a turkey. The only one that comes close is the Deinonychus, which is shorter at the shoulder and longer (primarily in the tail) overall.
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Blondshade wrote:so do the lizardmen kill a lot of dark elves? Would they wipe us out if they all mobilize to attack or would we be fine?

what do you recommend for a cok name. how about death riders or slayers on rapters or something along those lines

All I know there is that there is a somewhat bloody fued between the Lizardmen and Dark Elves. Probably because we are always stealing their ancient tomes and relic's of wonder and power for our own devilish ideals. I do remember somewhere however that there has been a time where Lizardmen had retaliated against the Dark Elves and attempted to "retrieve" the stolen artefacts. Whether this means they actually invaded through the south of Naggaroth (entirely possible but farfetched) or otherwise is a mysterious matter all together.

I have no idea of the numbers for Lizardmen but I doubt any army save Chaos could mount a successful campaign against Naggaroth and survive through the dreadful winters, not to mention fighting on Dark Elves home turf (not Ulthuan in this scenario).
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

And Ulthuan failed epicly when they tried to invade Naggaroth once. Lizards shouldn't have a problem surviving the winters though since they're cold blooded creatures themselves, but I don't know if they could invade successfully.

Anyway, about the whole raptor debate, if we take a look back at the previous set of Cold Ones, they look NOTHING like a raptor. Just a fattened, angry and scaly cow.

Only recently had they been redesigned and shaped into a more raptor like creature, and many of us dislike that agile look because it just doesn't spell out tough, slow, resilient S4 beasts that they're meant to be.

As far as names go, I'm very happy they're called Cold One Knights. It's intimidating, very suitable for Dark Elves, and as Tethlis has stated, it doesn't literally refer to the Cold Ones themselves (which are also called Nauglirs btw) but to the nature of the riders who have to poison themselves to confuse and allow said beasts to accept them as their own. Otherwise they could've named our knights Nauglir Riders instead, if they were literally referring to our beasts.

Raptor riders on the other hand, no way. It's not an intimidating name, and doesn't suit the theme of Dark Elf names. It sounds like something from Dinoriders back in the late 80s, and certainly makes me think more of Lizardmen than anything else.

p.s. The COK models from Gamezone, now that's a Nauglir. A little too lizard-like with the throat and head area, but it spells out tough, slow and bone crunching just like in the Malus books.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

It is being cold blooded that makes them so vulnerable; their blood is not heated internally but relies on the environment which obviously will be hard in Naggaroth. Not impossible given the Slaan and their magic but it would be a major problem. It is for this reason that snakes are found on every continent but not at the poles.

Also if you look at the models prior to the battle cows you will see that they were very raptor like indeed, these things change.

That said I do agree that Cold One Knights is a perfectly good name and there is no reason to change it.

Gentleman of Moderation
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Oh fail yes that is why lizards sun bathe all the time, to warm said cold blood.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Doug
Warrior

Post by Doug »

I think that the Cold One Knight are aptly name. It desribes their mounts
and their hearts. My two cents.
Doug
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

To be fair, Druchii would probably just call them 'knights' (or their equivalent, anyway).

It wouldn't hurt if they had a better name, but the way GW names are trending, they would almost certainly become 'Hate Knights'
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

To be fair, Druchii would probably just call them 'knights' (or their equivalent, anyway).

It wouldn't hurt if they had a better name, but the way GW names are trending, they would almost certainly become 'Hate Knights'
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Well, Dragon Princes is a societal label amongst High Elf culture. It denotes that they're from Caledor, and that they're Caledorian nobility, even though they don't literally ride dragons.

I actually think it should be the other way around. 'Cold One Knight' is a good term, because it is both impressive sounding and is literally accurate. It is a Knight, riding on a Cold One, end of story.

'Dragon Prince' is confusing. They are not princes, but merely nobles, and they don't ride dragons. Ok, sure, they are descended from the lines of Caledor etc etc, but even so, the name is just not a good fit.

'Silver helm' is a closer fit - they are knights who wear silver helms. But Dragon Princes? Nah, it's an odd one.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman