Dragon vs Cold one unit

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Boltshot525
Corsair

Dragon vs Cold one unit

Post by Boltshot525 »

Hey guys, so I have been using a dragon in alot of my games and done really well With it, but I just purchased 10 cold one knights and am interested on how they will do. 10 with command is about the same points as a dragon and was wondering if you guys thought it was a good trade.

Thanks
Our bolts will blot out the sun!
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

It's an excellent trade because a Dark Elf army led by a dragon lord is zzzzzzz....

Using 10 cold ones will be harder and require more concentration and strategising, but it will ultimately be more rewarding. They more potential for doing damage (11x WS5, S6 hatred attacks by the Riders and 5x WS3 S4 attacks by the Cold Ones is far harder than the Dragon Lord's output) but are far more vulnerable (from stupidity, toughness 3 and non-invincible armour saves) and less flexible (14" march and stuck on the ground is worse than 20" flying)".

So yes, I'd make the trade and don't look back. It will be more difficult, but you will be a better and more respected player for it, imo anyway.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Tmarichards
Noble

Post by Tmarichards »

It's not an entirely fair comparison from a sheer pts perspective, as you have to take the rider into account as well.

As with all these things it depends on the list- once you invest 500+ points into something you have to have the rest of the list geared to support it, in my opinion you couldn't just chop and change the 2 out of an otherwise identical list.
"he's got quite an arrogant british air about him that i used to think was really annoying but now it cracks me up.

"Tut, tut old lad! that's not how you play 'the Queen's' Warhammer!"
*takes sip of tea*"

Check out my Youtube bettle reports http://druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=68253
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

I think the Cold One Knights are actually the more competitive unit at this point in the game, especially if you support them with a Cauldron and Banner of Hag Graef. The major reason they're so effective is because the only warmachine out there that poses a major threat to them is the Organ Gun, whereas every warmachine is a big threat to a dragon. I've used 10 Cold One Knights in 75% of my 8th edition games (and I play at least one game every week) and I have never been disappointed with their performance.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Ichiyo1821
Highborn

Post by Ichiyo1821 »

2500 and below games COK are simply amazing. Beyond that a Dragon might be worth getting, however since you have a lot of point to play with, chances are you will take both anyway.
8th Edition

W/D/L
86/1/5

New AB
W/D/L
32/1/0

9th Age
W/D/L

Vae Victis
Character kill count -182

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Armies
Dark Elves
Dark Eldar
Death Korps of Kreig
Silic
Noble

Post by Silic »

CoKs (especially in that set of 10) are amazing. I used to run them plain (no command or characters) and they were average at best, but they really started to shine once full command and the ASF banner were added. Point for point, I think the CoKs best a dragon 9 out of 10 times.