Going kinda old school.

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Do you see what I see?

I am a total nutter for running this.
44%
You are not fooled by my rantings and see the evil that is the list.
56%

Total votes: 9

Geist
Noble

Going kinda old school.

Post by Geist »

So I am getting ready to head off to Alamo (www.alamogt.com) One of the best if not the best Indys here in Tejas. So as I get ready to make my way down south I want to get some last second feed back on my latest stealth list. I call it stealth because its made to appear and hopefully be comped as "soft" yet in actuality hit like a run a way freight train. This is where the old school comes in. I use to run the executioners axe on my dreadlord in a unit of black guard with the ASF banner. Now its a lil different.

Dreadlord
Exe Axe, blood armour, dragon bane gem.

Death hag BSB (others might rember him as Kung Pow the death dealing kung fu master from my executioners block.)
ASF banner, manbane d3 extra attacks.

Pot O' Blood

Lvl 4
Life taker, scroll, seal of ghrond. Lore of fire.

Assassin (why yes I took one LOL)
man bane, d3 extra attacks, and hande weapon.

Corsairs 38 of em. extra hand weapon.
Frenzy banner, unit chump of oh god must I take this challenge?

Repeaters 18 of em.
Shield and some guy who plays really bad bonjovi music.

Hey look a clone unit of repeaters. No really exactly the same as the unit I just listed.

Really big evil scary eating thing. Oh wait thats called a hydra.

Hey look its the twin of the first eating thing, another hydra.

Ugly lil shits that do annoying things. Harpies

More ugly lil shits, yah more harpies.

Harpies (kiinda out of clever monikers at this time for them).

So there yah go my hidden fist, crouching comp score list. Its full of surprises and fluffy bunnies of happy punch your face.
Flyers for the win in 8th.

DEATH FROM ABOVE DRUCIH AIR CAV!!!!

The Machine will grind you down.

The League of Extraordinary Druchii
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

You'd be silly to think a Dark Elf army running two hydra, a cauldron of blood and a level 4 with Lore of Fire as soft (not to mention the corsairs of unit shredding).

Not sure how this would fare to be honest.

Harpies aren't always reliable.
Reaperter Crossbowmen with Shields - Good
Frenzied Corsair's - Was wondering what formation you'd run
2 Hydra - Hope these guys work out for you, a lot is going to rely on them

Horde armies might give you a bit of a problem, so many roadblocks to get through.

I can see Daemons of Chaos giving this list a bit of a pounding.

Wish you luck with your games!
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

Corsairs run horde style.

If I have to go up against demons I will be fine as long as I dont get pappa nurlge of exploding. I hate that trick and its the only demon thing that could hurt me.

Pappa Boom Boom; take one great unclean one, add every time you hurt me take a toughness test if you fail you take a wound no armour save. Then just to be a dick you add a tzenctch herald of life and he does nothing but cast life spells to add wounds back to the Pappa Boom Boom. Other wise there is nothing in the demon army I trully fear.

Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

i cant see any way of making the dreadlord survive if he is not in a unit with the ASF banner. also i see very little reason to give said banner to a COB bsb, who shouldnt be in combat unless you screw up.

either make sure your general has the ASF banner in his unit, or drop the idea id say.

the rest of the army is nothing too out of the ordinary. i am sure that will work just fine.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

I like the unit descriptions :D

"unit chump of oh god must I take this challenge?" Awesome! Haha.

Lord Tsunami: I think from the way his list is formatted that the COB is separate to the BSB hag (who is presumably in with the execs and the dreadlord unit).

The list is pretty hard as nails. It may well get comped as soft though (two hydras may not go down so well though - perhaps swap one out for two chariots (finding the extra 25 points needed from elsewhere).
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

It's a tournament so playing the deathstar-card is pretty much expected but I don't see this list going exceedingly far. You have one unit worth 900ish points that will get Dweller'd to death. The rest can be mopped up without too much difficulty. Good luck but honestly I think you're going to need it.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Ichiyo1821
Highborn

Post by Ichiyo1821 »

Khel wrote:
Harpies aren't always reliable.

How so?
8th Edition

W/D/L
86/1/5

New AB
W/D/L
32/1/0

9th Age
W/D/L

Vae Victis
Character kill count -182

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Armies
Dark Elves
Dark Eldar
Death Korps of Kreig
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

They're Ld6... Not exactly reliable. a single panic test can send them running and never coming back.

They are best used as one-use only unit. Get them in position and hope they do their job. Because next turn they will likely not be there anymore.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

Odd mine are very reliable. Often pass there ld 6 test, and many times are close to general and bsb. So they then become ld10 rerollable. So I would not call them unreliable.

Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

All I see in this list is a big basket with nearly all the eggs in it.

38 corsairs with Hag BSB for ASF and Dreadlord so he doesn't suck with the axe. There are many many things in this edition that deals with a unit like this with surprising ease. Heavy artillery fire will shoot you down, SDC or no SDC.

I don't see the sneakyness of the list at all. It's all right there in the middle unit (and the sorceress doesn't even have Shadow for Mindrazor, which would compliment that deathstar even more)
7th edition army book:

Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

Dalamar tricky is all in how you play. I could try to list all the tricks I have learned over the years, but that would be taxing and well I don't like sharing that much. The comments you make lead me to believe you want a list that plays more like a blunt weapon. Like oh VC with the horde of hard hitting ghouls and unkillable wight blocks. Playing dark elves is all about fighting only on your terms and using nasty lil tricks and traps as you engage. Sure I could take shadow and be just like every other dark elf army, and for a while I did take shadow, but yah know what? I use lore of fire why? A I love the idea of a fire nation based army and dark elves fit that entire theme anger and hate forming the smoldering core that is a nation of fire. But more to the point fire is often over looked and does many neat evil tricks. What are the tricks? Well I will refer you to my old article that's buried around here some where about flame cage. You can look it up, I cant be bothered to justify something that I know works already. All the other tricks? Guess you will just have to make sense of it for yourself. In the spirit of I am not talking out my ass I will give you very vague lines to at least 3 fire tricks.

Hatred for wounding instead of rolling.

Flame cage to make combat go your way.

Look out sire = hot foot?

Playing with an edge of knowing what others dont is very in the style of darkies. In real life its called tactical acumen. I do well with what others consider poor because I know more and I adapt better. By no means am I perfect else I would have a much higher track record. But being 42nd in all of the US does speak rather well for me.

Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

You may know how to use the list sure.

But it still has very little substance and a single block of infantry. Your crossbowmen don't even have banners, so say you get to play Blood and Glory scenario. You can lose from a single lucky "I kill deathstars" spell like Dwellers below.
7th edition army book:

Arggg
Shade

Post by Arggg »

I like the dreadlord cause i used the same today vs chaos and he was great killing 1 chaos giant,1warshrine and many chaos warriors so from me hou have a +
HATERS<3
http://www.thebrushes.blogspot.com/ - a friend's blog check it :D

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Silic
Noble

Post by Silic »

The whole flame cage and refusing a challenge thing was discussed on here some time ago. I don't remember what the consensus was, but if any opponent tried to pull that on me, I'd tilt my head and laugh, "I don't think so." Its not a trick, its your interpretation of the rules.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

The whole flame cage and refusing a challenge thing was discussed on here some time ago. I don't remember what the consensus was,

The consensus was that it would work, and wouldn't actually be that cheesy (IIRC). The rules are pretty clear - each model in the unit takes a S4 hit if the unit moves, and declining a challenge counts as the unit moving. Ergo, the S4 hit occurs. It's not actually as far fetched a reading of the rule as some other gimmicks are. You could argue that it's not in the spirit of the game, sure. But it is fairly undeniably the rules as they are.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

As Red has said its not a matter of consensus, its a matter of knowing reading and understanding how all the rules work. As for your reply of you would tilt your head and laugh, I would ding your sports right that second. Then I would ask you to prove any and all rules that you tried to use that were not extremely simple. Why would I react that way? Simple you would laugh and not offer any reason or argument as to why your right, after I had painstakingly spelled it out in detail why it works. In short if your going to try and disprove something you best have something better than a flippant attitude to back it up.

Silic
Noble

Post by Silic »

That doesn't seem to be what he said at all...

Regardless, you will forgive the brevity of my response before as I thought it silly to restart that specific debate. If you spelled out your reason why you think it is played like that, I would spell out my reasons for the opposite view point. But then, we would need another Topic for that.
Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

Let me make it simple. The rules as written are very clear. There is no need to call it a debate or a consensus. Until shown other wise, it works as I have said it works. How can I take such a stance? Simple, the wording of the spell, the 2 points in the faq that not only support but show evidence of how it works. Just because some one dislikes something does not make a case for there side of any argument. Passion while vital for debate does not make for a case in of itself.

Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

I've used it. I've had it used against me. It generates a whole lot of combat res too!
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net