When you're given 50 extra points in magic items...

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Mengel
Slave on the Altar

When you're given 50 extra points in magic items...

Post by Mengel »

Hey guys,
A bunch of my friends and I have come up with a campaign. Unfortunately, they have voted for 50 more points of magic items on our "main" campaign character. I'm sternly against it as my dreadlord is happy without it :D

However, can anyone think of any combinations that I could try, on either a dread or a high sorceress?

If it helps my basic 2000pt army is generally magic heavy with a pretty good mixture of rxb, warriors, blackguard, harpies and a hydra.

Regards,
Mengel
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

A Dark Elf Supreme Sorceress doesn't need more than 60 points (sacrificial dagger and pendant of khaine), so I can't see any added value from giving her an extra 50 points of magic items.

The Dreadlord could benefit more, but even with him I'm not convinced. I'll give it some thought, but in the meantime consider this:

Don't take a dreadlord, take a master instead. With the 50 points boost, he'll be able to take up to 100 points of magic items. That'll give you many of the advantages of taking a dreadlord, with a 60 point saving...
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Duke daedric
Cold One Knight

Post by Duke daedric »

..and put him on the DarkPeg so he will have 3 wounds as a REAL dreadlord, nice thinking there Red.
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is the Assassin Bunny.
He has been specially trained by "the Old man of the Mountain".
He looks cute and than bites off your aorta when you least expect it.. ;)
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Post by Dangerous Beans »

Agreed about the master, but the extra Ld is VERY nice and the attacks + WS have been a real saver I have found...

Dreadlord:
Crimson Death, Dragonhelm, Black Amulet, The Other Tricksters Shard (120 points magic item total)
Heavy Armour, SDC, Shield, Dark Pegasus

or master wise:

Master
Armour of Eternal Servitude, Whip of Agony, Dragonbane Gem, The Other Trickster's Shard (80)
on Dark Pegasus

That Dreadlord is one pretty savage leader, though you could swap in the Cloak of Hag Graef instead of the Dragonhelm - leaves you vulnerable to metal's signiature spell though. The Black Amulet is another funny one and I would suggest Talisman of Preservation if you don't want the 70pt item (you're vulnerable on the way in), but it is hilarious when the enemy attack you, get a wound back on them with no armour save and then they have to re-roll their ward! :lol:
Mengel
Slave on the Altar

Post by Mengel »

Duke Daedric wrote:..and put him on the DarkPeg so he will have 3 wounds as a REAL dreadlord, nice thinking there Red.

Does that still work ? I thought the profiles were now independent.

Thanks Red, I'll see if they have a hissy fit if I say I want to use a master.

I've been using unkillable Dread builds with aoes and dragon bane gem or pok and aod.

Mengel

Edit: beans why not a Whip instead? ( looks like I have a lot more play testing)
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

Executioner Axe, Talisman of Preservation and Armor of darkness? :P

Otherwise I'd consider going master pegasus frenzy and get several strong builds that way.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Ataroth
Dark Rider

Post by Ataroth »

I have to admit, even though it's a randomly chosen lore, I'd be tempted with the Wizarding Hat. It's so damn expensive and I'd NEVER use it normally, but with an extra 50 points to spend it would be amusing to try once. Especially if you were lucky to get one of our "forbidden" lores. Dark Elves with Lore of Life heh.
"Submit To Self Destruction"
Mengel
Slave on the Altar

Post by Mengel »

Omnichron wrote:Executioner Axe, Talisman of Preservation and Armor of darkness? :P

Tried that, it worked out alright, except against a vampire lord with some sort of herp derp vampiric ability which made my weapon not give any str bonuses.

I completely forgot about 'dat hat' the temptation is great.

Thanks for all your responses, so far it's given me a lot to think on.
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

Yeah, but that's just because Vampires er OP :P
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Flash29
Assassin

Post by Flash29 »

Mengel wrote:
Omnichron wrote:Executioner Axe, Talisman of Preservation and Armor of darkness? :P

Tried that, it worked out alright, except against a vampire lord with some sort of herp derp vampiric ability which made my weapon not give any str bonuses.

I completely forgot about 'dat hat' the temptation is great.

Thanks for all your responses, so far it's given me a lot to think on.

i'd like to note that you made a mistake their, the vampire makes you get no strenth bonusses, but executioner axe isn't a strenth bonus. strenth bonusses are greath weapons, lances, halberts, flails,... executioners axe simply strikes with a strenth double of his toughness, it isn't a bonus, it just how it strikes, it isn't + x strenth, it just strikes at y strenth
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

That seems lke a stretch to be honest flash29 - striking at double the strength of their toughness seems like as much of a strength bonus as a +X bonus. Unless it's been FAQed?
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

It says striking with double toughness and not that it adds? Well, then it could be as crimson death which strikes at strength 6 I'd guess...

Depends on the wording of the item compared to the greatweapons. Soulrender gets f*****d by that vampire power at least.
Ataroth
Dark Rider

Post by Ataroth »

The armour does say "removes strength bonuses from all normal and magical weapons".
To me, that's pretty clear, if it changes your strength, it's a bonus and therefore you don't get it.
"Submit To Self Destruction"
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Back to the OP.

Maybe a Dreadlord with the Folding Fortress with Lifetaker, the Dragon Helm, the Luck Stone, full mundane armour and a unit of RxBs.

Don't be a munchkin?

Flash29
Assassin

Post by Flash29 »

bonus or no bonus aside, have you thought about a the black amulet a expencive 4+ ward save, but it bounces back wounds with no as allowed, and with 80 points left you could get blood armour , the chillblade, and the other trikster shard if my math is correct. although my personal preference still goes to the executioners axe my favorite weapon after I cleft a steamtank in twain