Dark Elf All mounted army

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Mrdark12
Shade

Dark Elf All mounted army

Post by Mrdark12 »

I am considering taking an all mounted Dark Elf force, Dreadlord on chariot, two sorceresses on Cold ones and lots of Dark Riders with RXCs, Knights and Chariots.
Anyone have any tips on this idea?
Cathel
Noble

Post by Cathel »

Why in Khaines name do you want to put your sorcs on Cold Ones? You expose them to stupidity, which is quite a liability.

On the rest don't ask me, I haven't played in 8th. ;)
If they were not sitting on our land, I would not spend a single bolt on the Asur.
How to tell apart the elves:
Men run naked - Asrai
Women run naked - Druchii
Don't know whether man or woman - Asur
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Post by Dangerous Beans »

Cathel wrote:On the rest don't ask me, I haven't played in 8th.
then you would'nt happen to know about the re-roll to ALL leadership checks that BSBs now offer, or the addition of a +1 Leadership Banner...

For your idea Mr Dark - I would suggest you take shades over the chariots (chariots aren't that fast), put your dreadlord on a cold one (perhaps a BSB in the chariot, though on cold one too is preferable - perhaps with hydra banner). Make a real 'bus' out of the cold one knights (10+ unit size with full command and the banner of hag graef is a good combo, though Armour Penetration is also decent). Add some harpies (I'd go x3 units of 5 each) and magic (dark steed is a preferable mount here but cold one isn't out of the question - particularly with the gleaming pennent) and away you go! I think I would suggest Dark (anti shooting) or Fire (ranged killiness) for your wizard, though Death could have some use (snipe enemy wizards).

Let us know how it goes - perhaps have a flick to the battle report section and write up a quick run down of how your game(s) went? Its a good way for us to give further help and talk through what you can learn from your games :D
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

I would go a unit of 11 COKs with a BSB in there holding the Hydra banner and make it your main combat unit.

Then, a couple of 5 man COK units, maybe one with the flaming banner, as flankers. Also, go 2 chariots to support the main unit, and this rounds out your special.

I would take a level 4 on a pegasus, and a level 2 on a steed.

Then for core, take 3 or 4 units of DR with crossbows, and then a unit of 15 Dark Riders with shields as a medium cav, which will round out your core.

Hell, if you wanted to, a dragon would fit your theme nicely, or even a manticore if your up for a little bit of a challenge.
Mrdark12
Shade

Post by Mrdark12 »

Hey guys thanks for the advice, when I get round to using the mounted list I definitely will write up a report.
I say that because My Dark Elves are taking a little nap while get my Wood Elves, Dwarfs and Skaven up to speed, and I need to buy all those Dark Riders for the army (And I hate the model for them so planning on converting Glade Riders with spears and Crossbows).

And I don't think a dragon would suit it was well as Manticore would and I am building this list for a challenge as my normal 2k list has become pretty boring (My gaming group has sort of become set in our ways when it comes to army builds and tactics).
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

I'd still keep your mages on Dark Riders instead because they move faster and maintain their mobility as fast cav. If you're relying on that 5+ AS to keep yourself alive then forget it. Also I'd be wary about cannonballs and other high strength attacks sniping your mounted characters on Chariots, it's a very risky and bad idea. If they live, they'll likely be walking for a good part of the game.

Fully mounted will work, as long as it's an even points game, both sides will have a chance of winning.

Good luck.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Meteor - characters no longer get fast cav unless specifically stated in their rules or their mounts rules now, even when put into a unit of fast cav.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Fingol23
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Fingol23 »

If you do go for a big unit of Knights then Ironcurse Icon on the Champion is a must.
WIP First War Against Chaos Expansion
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t= ... e7da5c4719

WS3 / S3 / T3 / D4 / I5
Skills: Basic Stealth
Items: Short Sword, Repeater Crossbow, Shade Cloak
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Apologies Red, that is very true. Regardless, you still have an extra 4" of marching distance and no risk of failing Stupidity.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued