Assassin combos

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Ma1us
Trainee Warrior

Assassin combos

Post by Ma1us »

G'day
Because Dark Elf Assassins are soooo cool I don't know what to give them, so far I have come up with 1 kickass combo

Assassin
-Additional hand weapon
-Touch of Death
-Rune of Khaine
-Manbane

so far this has kinda worked for me but now I think its time to change
"If nothing else, Malus Darkblade, you can be counted on to react to adversity with as much violence as physically possible"- Tzarkan
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

I hate to rain on your parade but that's an illegal combo, as it totals out at 80 gift of khaine points and an assassin is maxed at 75...

For some more builds, see the following D.R.A.I.C.H. links:

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?p=783096#top
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=67131&highlight=

Also, some have questioned their utility in 8th ed. See for example:

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t= ... light=#top
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Ataroth
Dark Rider

Post by Ataroth »

Touch of Death and Black Lotus work quite nicely. Gives you more chances for KB. Manbane and Rending Stars is quite a common one as well.
Last edited by Ataroth on Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Submit To Self Destruction"
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

I like Touch of Death, Black Lotus, and Rune of Khaine with 2 hand weapons (maybe a handbow if I have an extra ten points).

Rune of Khaine gets me extra attacks
Black Lotus gets me to reroll failed rolled
Touch of Death nuff said.

I also like
2HW, rending Blades and Manebane, and in a unit of shades.

Aw, nothing says able to kill most warmachines on a 4+ white like this combo.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

Right now my bread and butter is.
Death hag asf banner manbane and d3 extra attacks.
Assassin manbane and d3 extra attacks with extra hand weapon.

Those 2 gifts on those 2 peeps is just bonkers. The damage they dish out borders on insane. Been thinking about manbane rending stars for a shooting idea. In my area monster mash orges is not totally uncommon.
Flyers for the win in 8th.

DEATH FROM ABOVE DRUCIH AIR CAV!!!!

The Machine will grind you down.

The League of Extraordinary Druchii
A.andersson
Corsair

Post by A.andersson »

Has any one thought of them as hidden redirectors? Reveal in a crucial movement phase, march out and deply in front of an enemy bad ass unit. Place them so that your initial unit cant be charged, and straight in front of some random character. (preferably a mage) combine this with death magic (the character in question has already taken some wounds) and you might kill someone that is worth a considerable amount more thank your assassin.

Of course the champion might challange, but that is not a big deal... Killl him and pass the LD, = another turn of lock down.

The killing thing is of course just a bonus , the hidden redirector is the real trick here! The eq should be only additional hand weapon to minimize points lost once fighter is killed... Might work?
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

I think a.andersson, you may have stumbled across the worst cost/benefit redirector in our entire army.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
A.andersson
Corsair

Post by A.andersson »

Haha! yeah probably... But perhaps the most efficent! I dont think that he will be a redirector in all matchups though. Only when i reallly benifit from having a hidden one. :p in some he might charge light stuff to clear a way for the real fighters. And in some just hang around not doing much, perhaps adding some kills in a combat.
Im playing in a pretty advanced comp system wich practically makes him cheaper than harpies Measured in vp's. (not army list composittion) might not work at all outside this system.
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

@ a.andersson: I actually like the idea you have there haha. I wouldnt dream of using it in a lower points value game but to have something whip out and knock off a general or BSB (the extra 100vps for each of these characters is probably what would make it worth it, and with BSBs usually having low protection...) like that would be a bit of a laugh at higher point games where the 170ish points for a kitted out Assassin would not be missed too much.
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=
Flash29
Assassin

Post by Flash29 »

i prefer additional hand weapon, rune of khaine, touvh of death dark venom. put him in the main unit of badassery, or a small unit of shades, take out a char before he can do what he does. since you can deploy him in combat on the space you want, remove hatred or ectra ward or the reroll to wound in demons by killing the herald, or extra buffs like the 5+ save from the shrunken head, magical banners,.... used to do wonders against vampires, killing the bsb before my unit strikes to remove regen
Ma1us
Trainee Warrior

Post by Ma1us »

Red... wrote:I hate to rain on your parade but that's an illegal combo, as it totals out at 80 gift of khaine points and an assassin is maxed at 75...

Sorry, I ment
Assassin
-Additional hand weapon
-Touch of Death
-Rune of Khaine
-Black Lotus
"If nothing else, Malus Darkblade, you can be counted on to react to adversity with as much violence as physically possible"- Tzarkan
A.andersson
Corsair

Post by A.andersson »

I have have playde two games now, both with adhw assasins (2 of them in both lists 2400 points) this is my new favorite unit! Nobody expects it and so makes a move that puts their units and whole battle plan in a terrible situation. Important thing is to have units to follow up the trap with in my chase it was spears+pegmasters.

Quick question: the opponent recives vps for the assassin even if the original unit is not killed. Right?
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

a.andersson wrote:Quick question: the opponent recives vps for the assassin even if the original unit is not killed. Right?

Yeah, they gain VP of the Assassin if they kill it and the rest of the unit survives.

The thing about assassin, is that it's costy no matter how you run it. To make it cost efficient, you need to kill something with him to actually be worth it, and as far as I've seen, there's really just two ways I'd use him:

1. Rendering Stars + Manbane (Together with shades): To take down monsters and lone characters with high toughness.
2. Extra attacks and KB (Rune of khaine and touch of death?): To get a KB in on an ultra expensive character.

Other than that, I'd never use an assassin. Also, as we can get KB from the cauldron, I think it's better to get KB from that for the same task... that way you get the KB where you need it too... so I guess it's really just the Rendering Manbane one I kinda like.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10