A returning player seeking advice

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Joshy
Slave (off the Altar)

A returning player seeking advice

Post by Joshy »

I am looking for advice on what to do next with my modest sized Dark Elf army. I do not mind any form of advice, suggestion or what you think I should do next. I will read every last word of feedback you guys and girls give me the main thing I am looking for is army list ideas for various sizes such as 1k 2k 2400 ~

So here is a list of my entire Dark Elf collection, I would also like to point out that I can bank roll changes so if you think I could do with something not currently on my list please feel free to mention it so here we go...

LORDS AND HEROES...

Malekith, witch king on black dragon (requires assembly) x1
dark elf beastmaster on manticore (requires minor repairs) x1
dark elf dreadlord on cold one (model is actually Malus Darkblade) x1
dark elf sorceress with skull staff (on foot) x1
dark elf sorceress on mounted steed x1
Shadow Blade, dark elf assassin x1
Morathi The Hag Sorceress on Pegasus (Sulephet) (requires assembly) x1

CORE UNITS...

dark elf warriors with repeat cross bows x30
dark elf warriors with swords and shield with full command x 13
dark elf warriors with spears and shield with full command x 13
***(dark elf warriors combined total with spear or sword is 26 with full command TWICE for some odd reason)***
dark elf black art corsairs with full command x 23 (20 plastic and 3 metal)
dark riders with bow x 10
dark elf harpies x 8 (6 of them require assembly)

SPECIAL UNITS...

dark elf cold one knights with full command x 8
dark elf black guard of Naggarond with full command x 12
dark elf executioners with full command x 12
dark elf witch elves with full command x 20
dark elf shades x12

RARE UNITS...

dark elf war hydra with 2 man crew x1
dark elf repeat bolt thrower with 2 man crew x5
(each thrower has a 2 man crew)

Thank you for your time in reading this all comments are welcome ! :)
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: A returning player seeking advice

Post by Calisson »

Here are my recommendations.

LORDS AND HEROES...
Malekith, witch king on black dragon (requires assembly) x1
=> dragonlord is said to be very useful.
dark elf beastmaster on manticore (requires minor repairs) x1
=> Manticores are said to be difficult to play. Keep if for later.
dark elf dreadlord on cold one (model is actually Malus Darkblade) x1
=< excellent if you have a large COK unit.

dark elf sorceress with skull staff (on foot) x1
dark elf sorceress on mounted steed x1
Morathi The Hag Sorceress on Pegasus (Sulephet) (requires assembly) x1
=> mobile sorceresses are very interesting. One sorc on foot is outstanding with the dagger.

Shadow Blade, dark elf assassin x1
=> assassins are not at their best. One is fine with Shades, still.

CORE UNITS...
dark elf warriors with repeat cross bows x30
=> One or two units of 10, musician are said to be good. But one larger unit of 20, shields, FC is very useful, too.

dark elf warriors with swords and shield with full command x 13
dark elf warriors with spears and shield with full command x 13
***(dark elf warriors combined total with spear or sword is 26 with full command TWICE for some odd reason)***
You can place in the rear those not used. 26 is really a minimum size for warriors.

dark elf black art corsairs with full command x 23 (20 plastic and 3 metal)
=> 20 should be enough.
dark riders with bow x 10
=> I suggest two units of 5 with musician.

dark elf harpies x 8 (6 of them require assembly)
=> 5 to 8 is very useful.

SPECIAL UNITS...
dark elf cold one knights with full command x 8
Good, with FC and the CO hero.

dark elf black guard of Naggarond with full command x 12
=> You will need 20. Still, you can already use them.

dark elf executioners with full command x 12
=> useless at this size. Take 30 or none.

dark elf witch elves with full command x 20
=> good unit.

dark elf shades x12
=> 2 excellent units of 6. Usually AHW.

RARE UNITS...
dark elf war hydra with 2 man crew x1
=> very powerful.
dark elf repeat bolt thrower with 2 man crew x5
(each thrower has a 2 man crew)
=> That seems a lot too many.

In your army, you will need a BSB.
The other unit which you would apreciate is the Cauldron.

Other than that, you have a very nice choice already.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I can only echo Calisson's review of the units so here's a few sample lists with a rather diverse style:

1000 points

- Sorceress, on foot, level 2, Tome of Furion, guiding eye, Lore of Metal
- 22 Repeater Crossbows, no shields, musician, banner, standard of discipline (sorceress goes here)
- 9 Shades, additional hand weapon
- 18 Witch Elves, deployed either 6 wide or 9 wide, full command, banner of murder
- Hydra

It's almost a powerlist.. but not just yet. :)

1200 points

- Sorceress, level 2, Tome of Furion, Pendant of Kaeleth, Dark Pegasus, Lore of Shadow
- 21 Corsairs (7 wide), full command, Sea Serpent Standard
- 5 Dark Riders, Musician, RxBs
- 12 Black Guards, musician
- 6 Witch Elves (3 wide) - Try to assassinate a mage with this, if the opportunity presents itself.
- 11 Shades, additional handweapon
- Hydra

1500 points

- Supreme Sorceress on foot, Sacrificial Dagger... I'd say try Dark. Optionally add "Ruby Ring of Rhuin" for fun's sake.
- Master on Cold One, BSB, Heavy Armor, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Hydra Banner
- 28 Warriors, No Shields, Banner, Musician, Standard of Discipline (Sorceress goes here)
- 8 Cold One Knights, Full Command, Banner of Murder
- 5 Shades, additional Handweapon
- Hydra

Barring the returning Hydra, you have a variety of styles there. The Hydra is kept in there because it takes some training to make best use of it... though you may notice it requires little experience to make it deal a bucket load of damage.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Joshy
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Joshy »

Thank you Calisson and Daeron for your feedback so far i have taken all of what you both said into account :)

I also forgot to add to my list i own 2 chariots with 2 man crew for both, i use to love using these they were great fun smashing into things with impact hits and scythed wheels :D
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

COC are great. They go along well with infantry. They provide some high S attacks. They are sturdy.
COC + COK + hydra + dragon + BG, you have a good selection of high S attacks.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

Execs could use more
Oderint dum Metuant.
Joshy
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Joshy »

So you all agree i need around a 30 model unit of Executioners then ?
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

You can play the Dark Elf army fine without executioners. If you wish to use them, then they need a unit size that makes them effective. The horde unit of 30 Executioners is a popular choice, when lead by a BSB with the banner of Hag Graef.

Personally, I have also used a unit of 14 executioners with a musician to good effect. Mind... "Good", not "Great". They always strike last and that makes every battle a struggle. Yet, against some chaff units with a fairly low number of attacks (roughly 10 in total) and a WS that's equal or lower, you can risk charging them without much support. They'll hammer a few models down, perhaps having the odd killing blow to help them out.
In particular I found such a 14-man unit an effective threat against heavy cavalry. Because the unit is so small, it can also flee as a charge reaction without being "a risk to the largest chunk of your army". This makes cavalry far more reluctant to charge it since the risk is often too high in case the charge fails.
But I wouldn't consider it a strong unit.. and it's a bit expensive for a "throw away" unit but manageable.

I have also tried unit of 21 big, but this one was too frail to be a solid combat block and too expensive to use as a simple support/chaff unit. It always performed poorly for its cost and effort.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Joshy
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Joshy »

I have done some thinking since i posted my original post based on the feedback so far and i can remember now that the executioners were the last unit i was slowly building up in size. It will be something i work on for sure because in time i want to be able to pick from anything in the Dark Elf arsenal.

I do have a question i noticed that on the official website for what there is now in production for the dark elves that the chariots are no longer there are we still able to use them or has the rules on their use and employment per race changed all together ?

once again thanks for all the wonderful feedback !
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Chariots are still in our army book and a valid choice. They are no longer in production, presumably because they changed the models of cold ones. However, the sprue for the cold ones is also the sprue for the new Cold One Knights, and thus can't be seperated (so they can't just shove the new Cold Ones on the chariot).

Though I can't recall any official note on this, it seems reasonable to assume they will be released again in the future with the new cold one models. But until that time, we'll have to make due with the models we have or we can buy second hands.

- The stiff breeze
Joshy
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Joshy »

I know they have changed models over the years i assumed it was either the fact that they were planning to re-release them at another date or simply put out of production for now. I have good memories of my chariots from the battles i used them in but also a few occasions where things went belly up. My favourite memory was slamming into a lizard ranks from the side and rolling high to hit and to wound making my opponent wince in agony hehe
Oddly enough one time i also failed a stupidity test in one game where my chariot was facing a cliff and ... yep you can guess what happened next lol

Glad to hear we can still choose them and with that confirmed i will buy a second chariot base because one of my two chariots up until now has been using a custom made base which is rubbish really.
Lady kaerlith
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Lady kaerlith »

On the upside, new production models should mean the older ones go down in price on Ebay. Unless the new ones are terrible, of course!
Joshy
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Joshy »

Yeah i just looked at the newer models they look much more modern then the ones i have but i do not care about that. I own 5 bolt throwers because 2 older models were given to me free so cannot grumble there. I also before this generous give away owned 3 bolt throwers i still need 2 build 2 of them.

I know the cold ones still have stupidity right ? or have they changed the rule or better still removed it ? :D ... wait why am i getting excited i doubt they got rid of it haha
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

COC and COK have stupidity.
Good point is that it makes them ITP.
Mitigating point is that with BSB reroll and high Ld, you hardly fail stupidity rolls.
All the more that when in combat or when dead, there's no stupidity roll.
Bad point... well sometimes, ..it happens.
L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

(had a point of 'they're only ITP when Stupid, and unable to move' )

I got a couple of CO's from hoard o bitz, and then got the High elf Chariot. Make it look evil with spines and woot.

Also tempted by trying to figure out how to integrate some of those Mandrakes from Dark Eldar, cos they look cool. Wish there was a legit way.

Menghil's Manflayers are still in production. For myself (as I run minimal Shades but am curious about some of the info on the larger blocks posted) I was considering getting the Manflayers and having the Banner Carrier be the BSB for the Corsairs or just the Army.
Oderint dum Metuant.