Terror Bomb?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

sihc ydoom
Slave on the Altar

Terror Bomb?

Post by sihc ydoom »

I've been playing around with the idea of loading up on terror causing items, and death magic (for doom and darkness)

But My question is; is terror actually that good?
Cold73
Highborn

Re: Terror Bomb?

Post by Cold73 »

Against some armies it can be very good.
I've had a huge block of archers flee off the table to get away from my Hydra.

But it does depend on the army you are playing against. A lot of units out there are simply Immune to Psychology.

My advice would be to just try it sometimes.
I do believe that you need to have a good plan on which units to use it on first.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

it works, but it is very random, and you cant depend on it.
Also against armies that have multiple ITP unit's, also fear causing units are common these days, and they render the tactic pretty much usless.
Also known as Kanadian
Scyloc
Noble

Post by Scyloc »

LD bombing can still be very effective in 8th edition. Unfortunately DEs do not do it very well.

CD/WoCs 1st turn Doom & Darkness + Hellcannon hit (-1 to ld panic test) can win matches 1st turn. But mostly it doesnt work, and you have to plan for the whole match. But as an added threat to an allready strong list, it is very interesting.

DEs cant really do the same, as we have no easy way to cause panic in the shooting phase (besides causing enough casualties). Terror is not well suited for Doom and Darkness, as charges are before magic, therefore the Doom & darkness must be cast the turn before, and the opponent can react to it in his phase, and hide his unit from charges.

In short:
Terror + Doom & Darkness: Not that great.
Targeted DE shooting (panic) + Doom & Darkness: Works!
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

Terror is not as good as it once was in 7th ed. due to many factors, some already listed above. I wouldn't recommend building a collection based around this one concept. If you have a vast enough collection and can put together the right combo's you could probably be satisfied with it for a while.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Killerk wrote:it works, but it is very random, and you cant depend on it.
Also against armies that have multiple ITP unit's, also fear causing units are common these days, and they render the tactic pretty much usless.

I used to stick the wailing banner or mask of eee on CoKs for running down people's flanks. Forcing terror checks on chaff away from the leadership bubble can be quite satisfying, but its not really good for much more than that.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Don't forget that if you have death and dark or fire sorceresses, both dark and fire have spells that cause panics from a single casualty, and both can do it on multiple units!
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16