Death Hags

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

necrotix
Trainee Warrior

Death Hags

Post by necrotix »

Coming back to Dark Elves after a couple editions away from them and am therefore poring over the new book looking for options and things to make the army sing. Now, I want to take a Cauldron and Witch Elves so they are going in the army, which then makes me think about how to equip the Hag and also what's going on with the rest of the army.

With people having their hands on the book now I think we can also start exploring the options here. The Cauldron itself has the Bound Spell (PL3) that allows you to give a unit within 12" Frenzy, or, double Frenzy if it already has it, until the start of the next magic phase. The same thing can be achieved for the Cauldron's unit by giving the Hag Witchbrew, which then effectively gives you the option for two double frenzy units or double frenzy Witches and another Frenzied unit.

What got me thinking here is that due to the turn order of the game and the fact that you could realistically one dice the Cauldron (after a PoD perhaps to get an extra spell, or even after a Dagger strike once your opponent is out of dispel dice) you can get a reliable unit into combat (like BG or COK) and then unleash Frenzy on them. They're not going to go charging off until the following turn and then only if they annihilate their opponent in the two rounds of combat before the spell expires! Yes, it's pretty expensive to pull off with all the elements you'd need but as the Cauldron is already giving a 4++ to the Hag you're saving on equipment to keep her safe, then make her the BSB to better control the Frenzy too.

Might just be an obvious combo to everyone else but just seems to make a really nasty combat core for the army. Frenzied COK makes me giddy.
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Death Hags

Post by Bounce »

Could you perhaps put the cob in a cold one knight unit. It would slow it down a bit but the buffs would be awesome.
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

yes you can
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
jgascoine011
Warrior

Post by jgascoine011 »

Can the hag only have a magic weapon?

If not the black dragon egg would be awesome on her
johemero
Corsair

Post by johemero »

jgascoine011 wrote:Can the hag only have a magic weapon?

If not the black dragon egg would be awesome on her

Yup, only 1 magic weapon.
Trax
Assassin

Post by Trax »

It's quite a blow, actually. Ring of Hotek on her would be quite nice for instance. Or the Twilight cloak even. With her 5++ she yearns for a cannon ball to the head...
Malikos
Trainee Warrior

Post by Malikos »

Would a unit of Cold One Knights joined by a CoB still have swifstride? I'd think so...

You could also give the cold ones the +1 movement banner to help the unit move a little faster. Man, I'm imaging that thing hitting someone with all those attacks + impact hits!
Liquidedust
Highborn

Post by Liquidedust »

Malikos wrote:Would a unit of Cold One Knights joined by a CoB still have swifstride? I'd think so...

You could also give the cold ones the +1 movement banner to help the unit move a little faster. Man, I'm imaging that thing hitting someone with all those attacks + impact hits!

Chariots actually do have the swiftstride rule Malikos

My Hobby Thread

Stats since I started playing again in 2013
W/L/D
Total: 16/21/1
vs. Demons: 0/2/0
vs. Dwarfs: 1/2/0
vs. Empire: 2/4/0
vs. High Elves: 0/4/0
vs. Lizardmen: 3/0/0
vs. Orcs & Goblins: 3/0/1
vs. Ogres: 1/0/0
vs. Skaven: 4/4/0
vs. Tomb Kings: 0/1/0
vs. Warriors of Chaos: 0/3/0
vs. Wood Elves: 2/1/0
Malikos
Trainee Warrior

Post by Malikos »

Correct, that is why I was excited that the unit would still be swiftstride with the cauldron in it =)