biggest nerf -- biggest buff -- opinions

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: biggest nerf -- biggest buff -- opinions

Post by Sulla »

Biggest nerf; Chariots lost a wheel! Now they can fall over while still tethered to their beasts.

Biggest buff; Shades. Now my war machine hunters can hunt hellcannons and ironblasters.
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Buff: Executioners, Witch Elves; re-rollable ASF(i)/KB/S6 with an option of frenzy. - re-rollable ASF(i)/I6/poison/core
Nerf: Hydras, Harpies; changing regeneration to pseudo-regeneration (cool fluff wise, and no longer bends to fire) but overall, a nerf.
Harpies cost too much, are special, got no improved stats and can once again cause panic in DE. Pass.

I found magic was really improved too, and will definitely be taking it a lot more than I did before. I won't use hydras as much, harpies really at all and sometimes CoK.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Mod's note:
Moved off topic cannon considerations to a new, dedicated topic in tactical forum.

EDIT: had to do it again for sac dagger.

Please keep on topic.
Thanks.
Calisson
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Biggest buffs: I'm drawn towards ASF and Murderous Prowess, but in fact I think for me it has to be that Dark Elves can now take any magic lore from the BRB, including lore of life and beasts, both of which are incredible for dark elves. FINALLY my Supreme Sorceress can get her hands on that cute little vegetable garden she's had her eye on....(great buff rules wise, but fluffwise - SERIOUSLY GW? *sigh*)

Biggest nerfs: Our magic phase is in tatters. Power of Darkness is far worse (and specific only to lore of darkness, which imo is forgettable at best - the true strength of magic in 8th ed comes from hexes and buffs - thanks for giving us almost none of them GW), the sacrificial dagger is now untakable (imo anyway - 25% chance of killing two dudes and getting no extra power dice when casting: perhaps if the dice gods usually shine on you then you'll like that, but I think I offended them long ago and I'm not about to start killing guys for no good reason...the issue becomes more profound when you take into account that you can no longer roll one less dice than you think you need and then throw in another one when you need it - let's say you try for Power of Darkness on one dice for your Level 4- you roll a 2, so you sacrifice a guy: there's a 25% chance that you'll not only generate no dice in exchange for killing two warriors - who are more expensive now too! - but further that your level 4's magic phase is over for the turn), no more rolling as many dice as you want to cast a spell - we're back to the max 6 - and no more power dice from the dark star cloak or dispel dice from the seal of ghrond. Also, no more focus familiars to let you pop up spells from around the corner. +1 to cast is good, but it's limited to lore of darkness (which, imo is non-optimum lore). All of that combines to mean that we have to slug it out during the magic phase like the rest of them, which is quite a painful reversion after so many years of being able to dominate with ease. Maybe a good change for the game, but a painful one to adapt to from our years of comfortable casting...
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Askador
Noble

Post by Askador »

Red... wrote:Biggest buffs: I'm drawn towards ASF and Murderous Prowess, but in fact I think for me it has to be that Dark Elves can now take any magic lore from the BRB, including lore of life and beasts, both of which are incredible for dark elves. FINALLY my Supreme Sorceress can get her hands on that cute little vegetable garden she's had her eye on....(great buff rules wise, but fluffwise - SERIOUSLY GW? *sigh*)

Biggest nerfs: Our magic phase is in tatters. Power of Darkness is far worse (and specific only to lore of darkness, which imo is forgettable at best - the true strength of magic in 8th ed comes from hexes and buffs - thanks for giving us almost none of them GW), the sacrificial dagger is now untakable (imo anyway - 25% chance of killing two dudes and getting no extra power dice when casting: perhaps if the dice gods usually shine on you then you'll like that, but I think I offended them long ago and I'm not about to start killing guys for no good reason...the issue becomes more profound when you take into account that you can no longer roll one less dice than you think you need and then throw in another one when you need it - let's say you try for Power of Darkness on one dice for your Level 4- you roll a 2, so you sacrifice a guy: there's a 25% chance that you'll not only generate no dice in exchange for killing two warriors - who are more expensive now too! - but further that your level 4's magic phase is over for the turn), no more rolling as many dice as you want to cast a spell - we're back to the max 6 - and no more power dice from the dark star cloak or dispel dice from the seal of ghrond. Also, no more focus familiars to let you pop up spells from around the corner. +1 to cast is good, but it's limited to lore of darkness (which, imo is non-optimum lore). All of that combines to mean that we have to slug it out during the magic phase like the rest of them, which is quite a painful reversion after so many years of being able to dominate with ease. Maybe a good change for the game, but a painful one to adapt to from our years of comfortable casting...

Whats wrong with the fluff magic?
Beast seems to be natural for me. They have alot Beasts and even Beastmasters. And life? Why not? Life makes Torture much more easy.. You can Beat them almost dead and heal them up and Torture them again. Thats Darkelf fun for Years! Why does everyone think : Life=Good?
Cold73
Highborn

Post by Cold73 »

There have been a lot of chances all around, some of the buffs are set off versus debuffs....take for example Executionrs vs Black Guard.
Most of the so called nerfs like Hydra's are things i can work with...sure they might be more vulnerable...but with a change in how i use them i;m sure i can make them worth my while.
(less charging into frontal melee...and more sweeping the flanks and ruining the backfield of my opponent. Together with my fast moving warlocks he should do wonders there)

As for the changes in magic...
Dark Magic is not a lore you want to choose if you want to get into combat fast....but against certain armies i can still see its usefullness.... Skaves...and Goblins (only) come to mind.
I especially like the added lores...I cann't wait to try Heavens against Chaos Dwarves for example.
Lore of Life...I like the fact that we can use it...but i dont understand why people think it doesn't fit into the Dark Elf fluff....Lore of Life is one of the most Destructive lores around...Dwellers Below and that easy to cast Magic Missille of S6. ....damn..those are nasty spells.
It is simply another element we FORCE to do our biddings. We don't ask nature to do something for us like our weak cousins...no...we force natture to do our bidding.

The one thing i dont like about this book is the Sacrificial Dagger....it has to be the worst Nerf in magic we could have gotten.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]