A few rules questions

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

jgascoine011
Warrior

A few rules questions

Post by jgascoine011 »

I managed to get in a couple of games the other day and well i was just wondering about a couple of rules that came up.

1) Does the death hag retain her poison if she takes a magic weapon?
My opponent said that they dont however i cant find any where in the rules that says taking a magic weapon removes their poison and i think he was thinking about the old assassin rules.

2) Do you get to use an additional hand weapon on the cauldron?
Again my opponent pointed that both the death hag and its 2 attendants cant use an additional hand weapon while mounted on the cauldron because under the rules, you cant use 2 hand weapons while mounted. I actually think he is correct about this but was wondering if you guys could point something different out.

Thanks
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Re: A few rules questions

Post by Haagrum »

1. Poisoned Attacks doesn't work with magic weapons. BRB, page 73 - Poisoned Attacks is a special rule for the model which affects its attacks, and the rule states (amongst other things) that "Any spells cast by the model are unaffected, as are any attacks made with magic weapons they might be wielding".

2. The rules for Additional Hand Weapons states that a model only gets the Extra Attack rule if they are on foot. The Cauldron of Blood is a chariot, so the Death Hag doesn't get +1 Attack for two hand weapons when she's on it.
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
Askador
Noble

Post by Askador »

I hope you dont mind i Hijack this Post to ask a Question myselv.

I had a game against Lizards yesterday. I lost the Hag on the Cauldron and had the Problem after the Fight. The Cauldron Chariot itselve has no Leadership Number in my Armybook. The Witches on the Chariot also only have a "-". We had no idea how to manage the Leadership Test on the Cauldron without the Hag on it.

Any ideas?
Shrapnels
Trainee Warrior

Post by Shrapnels »

I play it by the no LD value..

meaning you would only pass LD test on insane courage
go snakeeyes
Dark Elves stats for the last 6 months
W/D/L
17/3/5

Let the dice decide the outome
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

Askador wrote:I hope you dont mind i Hijack this Post to ask a Question myselv.

I had a game against Lizards yesterday. I lost the Hag on the Cauldron and had the Problem after the Fight. The Cauldron Chariot itselve has no Leadership Number in my Armybook. The Witches on the Chariot also only have a "-". We had no idea how to manage the Leadership Test on the Cauldron without the Hag on it.

Any ideas?

The Cauldron has no Ld value by itself, therefore it will automatically fail such tests (BRB p10).

If it's part of a unit, it will use the Ld of the unit, since the Cauldron can join and leave units as though it was a character (Army Book p47). Based on that ability, the rules for combined units will apply even without the Death Hag (BRB pp99-100).
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Shrapnels wrote:I play it by the no LD value..

meaning you would only pass LD test on insane courage
go snakeeyes

According to the FAQ, a unit with "-" for Leadership automatically fails Ld tests, so Insane Courage doesn't even work.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Shrapnels
Trainee Warrior

Post by Shrapnels »

According to the FAQ, a unit with "-" for Leadership automatically fails Ld tests, so Insane Courage doesn't even work.

My bad.. didn't help me at all either ways, but thanks ^^
Dark Elves stats for the last 6 months
W/D/L
17/3/5

Let the dice decide the outome
jgascoine011
Warrior

Post by jgascoine011 »

How about the 2 witch elves on top of the cauldron though? Do they also not get the additional weapon rule?
Trax
Assassin

Post by Trax »

jgascoine011 wrote:How about the 2 witch elves on top of the cauldron though? Do they also not get the additional weapon rule?

No. Same reason like with the Death Hag.

As for the Ld of the Cauldron: Bet this'll get FAQ'ed (which year ever a FAQ may arrive...), the Bloodwrack Shrine uses the attendants Ld as well, but "-" means "0"/all tests on it fail.
Shearov
Trainee Warrior

Post by Shearov »

As everyone has said, but if you need proof for the 'gamers' who only obey the rules as written. The BRB FAQ 1.4

Q: Does a unit that has a LD of ‘0’ or ‘-’ automatically fail
Leadership tests? (p10)
A: Yes.
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

So, why do the WE ontop get "-" LD I wonder... GW with their many mistakes.

I bet they have the same LD as WE. Houserule it.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Haagrum wrote:2. The rules for Additional Hand Weapons states that a model only gets the Extra Attack rule if they are on foot. The Cauldron of Blood is a chariot, so the Death Hag doesn't get +1 Attack for two hand weapons when she's on it.

Which makes you wonder why GW bothered to give the CREW two hand weapons, both on the model AND in the rules...
Liquidedust
Highborn

Post by Liquidedust »

Vulcan wrote:
Haagrum wrote:2. The rules for Additional Hand Weapons states that a model only gets the Extra Attack rule if they are on foot. The Cauldron of Blood is a chariot, so the Death Hag doesn't get +1 Attack for two hand weapons when she's on it.

Which makes you wonder why GW bothered to give the CREW two hand weapons, both on the model AND in the rules...

It is GW, oversight deluxe probably.

My Hobby Thread

Stats since I started playing again in 2013
W/L/D
Total: 16/21/1
vs. Demons: 0/2/0
vs. Dwarfs: 1/2/0
vs. Empire: 2/4/0
vs. High Elves: 0/4/0
vs. Lizardmen: 3/0/0
vs. Orcs & Goblins: 3/0/1
vs. Ogres: 1/0/0
vs. Skaven: 4/4/0
vs. Tomb Kings: 0/1/0
vs. Warriors of Chaos: 0/3/0
vs. Wood Elves: 2/1/0
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Rule of cool for the model

And consistency in the rules (all witch elves have two hand weapons, so witch elf crew also has two hand weapons)
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

...and it also fits with the old saying from the Royal Navy "One hand for yourself and one for the Ship", i.e. they might have two weapons but they need one hand "for the ship" and its shifts and movements.
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?