medusa

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

paithan darkshadow
Trainee Warrior

medusa

Post by paithan darkshadow »

Anyone used these on paper they seem pretty ok to me for 90pts I eas tempted to stick one out there as a fast chsff hunting monster and target saturation thing to detract from my cauldron and hydras
Name: paithan darkshadow
Sex: male
Height: 6ft1
Weight: 245 lbs
Class:khainite
Statistics: weapon skill 5 strength 3 Toughness 4 dexterity 3 Intelligence 4
Equipment: draich, Medium armour
Skills: endurance, smithing
marcopollo
Assassin

Re: medusa

Post by marcopollo »

ld 2 is pretty bad to be running them out on their own. They will get led around. So you have to baby sit them.
paithan darkshadow
Trainee Warrior

Fair point.
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

They're good as "guard snakes" near your general's unit, as they can present a credible threat to some enemies. Unfortunately, Ld 2 = failing Frenzy tests and having to declare a charge whenever there's a target within 19", which means they can be easily baited out and slaughtered with basic BS shooting. Medusae can kill most chaff units and can even put a bit of a dent into enemy monsters, but are very vulnerable to smart enemy positioning if they are forced to test on their own Ld value.

If you really want to run a Medusa or two outside the Inspiring Presence bubble, I would recommend making good use of charge-blocking chaff (such as Harpies or fast cavalry), ensuring that the Medusa does not have line of sight to enemy units (and as such cannot declare a charge) at the start of your turn, and/or using the Lore of Light for Light of Battle (which can be bubble-cast and causes affected units to automatically pass all Ld tests until the caster's next magic phase).
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Haagrum wrote:If you really want to run a Medusa or two outside the Inspiring Presence bubble, I would recommend making good use of charge-blocking chaff (such as Harpies or fast cavalry), ensuring that the Medusa does not have line of sight to enemy units (and as such cannot declare a charge) at the start of your turn, and/or using the Lore of Light for Light of Battle (which can be bubble-cast and causes affected units to automatically pass all Ld tests until the caster's next magic phase).

That's how it was done in 7th. Keep them behind your skirmishers. They are ItP so units fleeing though them wont matter, and the "hello boys" moment when the other guy's light horse rashes into them is always worth it.

Lore of light has a lot of good buffs for dark elves. Its not much for damage, but pha's protection and net are brilliant defensive spells while the 2 damage spells are good for regen or wards respectively.
"Luck is the residue of design"
paithan darkshadow
Trainee Warrior

Some great tips here guys thanks. I like having some theme to my armies and in keeping with my 40k army im temptrd to do a gladiator army so lots of monsters and crazy fanatics with witch elf conversions
Jabroniville
Warrior

Post by Jabroniville »

I bring up some other stuff in the Tactics forum (I can never tell which one to put stuff like this- it SEEMS tactics-related...): http://druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=73446

Though the flaws pointed out are pretty big- it can set off Panic in your other troops.
Cold73
Highborn

Post by Cold73 »

Medusa are a very nice rear guard, but against some opponents they are even nice range threats.

4 shots with BS 5; wounding on the opponents initiative.
Use that one on a unit of mournfang yesterday.... Did 2 wounds on Shooting...and on the charge i inflicted 3 with the stand and shoot... Sure she got grounded into past with impact hits...but she had already made the unit a lot less combat effective.
This could in theory be very nice against Steam Tanks as wll...no armour save is huge.

Would have loved them even more if they were a bit cheaper and could be fielded into a unit.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Setomidor »

Wow, you must have been rolling incredibly well. BS5, sure, but long range, multishot and moving/shooting at chargers means you only hit on 5+ anyway.
Cold73
Highborn

Post by Cold73 »

Hitting on 5+....hmm..migh even had done an extra wound then...;-)
but yeah...i was on a roll....I rolled 3 sixes on stand and shoot....
Then again...my opponent rolled 9 impact hits with his 3 remaining mournfang.

(I will admit that the medus's wounds were only the icing on the cake... she was only a redirector..so that i could get a flank charge off with either my executioners or my CoK)
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]