Slave (off the Altar)

Re: Sorry for a qucik question....

Post by Relamus Sarethi »

Do you mean in special slots? No they are just single special choices
Nagashias
Slave on the Altar

Post by Nagashias »

Relamus Sarethi wrote:Do you mean in special slots? No they are just single special choices

Ah thank you! Yes, that's what I meant.

What do you think the balance is, in regard to High Elf having access to 4 Bolt Throwers?
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

Nagashias wrote:
Relamus Sarethi wrote:Do you mean in special slots? No they are just single special choices

Ah thank you! Yes, that's what I meant.

What do you think the balance is, in regard to High Elf having access to 4 Bolt Throwers?

We're specifically allowed to take 4 as Special choices, 8 in a Grand Army.

So, fairly balanced, IMHO. I think we may have a slight advantage, in that our Rare choices are deceptively good, and being able to take bolt throwers as Special choices is very handy.
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
Kheel
Noble

Post by Kheel »

I wish that the bolt throwers were RARE simply because there are too many special choices for the DE player, and hardly any decent rare choices except for warlocks and the shrine.
So that is why the HE bolt throwers are a milion times better than the DE.
//Kheel

Nobody really cares if you’re miserable, so you might as well be happy.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Kheel, how often did you hit the 50% limit on specials?
On rare, however, there is a combo Sisters + Shrine, there is the Ld bomb shrine + K-beast, in addition ot the ever-present warlocks.
25% rare is sometimes a real limit, we are blessed to have the RBT as special.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Do you often have just 25% in characters and absolutely no rare? If you answered no to either question then you will never be able to spend 50% on special.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Kheel
Noble

Post by Kheel »

Calisson wrote:Kheel, how often did you hit the 50% limit on specials?

Every time I try to build a list I would enjoy playing. The only rare choice I take is the Shrine, maybe two of them even.
From special I take:
4 bolt throwers
large unit of execs (preferable around 30 ish)
3 hydras
2 chariots (in 2500 point games, I can only take 1 chariot, and in 2400 point games, I can skip a bolt thrower for the extra chariot.)
and I do want some black guards or shades, but that I can not, because the stupid bolt throwers are in special for reasons unknown to mankind.
It was a stupid mistake they made, and I wish it to be FAQed back to rare.

Shrines are the best thing that happened to the Dark Elves from the new book. Makes any unit hordable and much more killy. And ogres and orcs will think twice before charging it even.
//Kheel

Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

I have to go with the others on this one Kheel. If you look at it this way, while both special and rare have a finite set of points you can spend in them, special will always have more wiggle room. The main factor in not filling that slot up with stuff is you probably did that already with heros, lords, and rare, plus what you put into the core slot.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Kheel
Noble

Post by Kheel »

Saintofm wrote:I have to go with the others on this one Kheel. If you look at it this way, while both special and rare have a finite set of points you can spend in them, special will always have more wiggle room. The main factor in not filling that slot up with stuff is you probably did that already with heros, lords, and rare, plus what you put into the core slot.

It usually ends up something like this.
Lord 0%
Special 13-25%
Core 25%
Special 40-50%
Rare 0-12%

When you come to the point of only having 50 points left to spend in special, and you want two more bolt throwers, you have another 200 points or more in total to spend on your army, you have everything you want in heroes, core and rare - but you have to fill in the ghap or rearrange the ratio completely to fit in the bolt throwers or what have you... The problem usually comes to bolt throwers since they are at the bottom in my army builder file.
It may seem like a small problem, but it's annoying when it happens.
//Kheel

Meleearchers
Slave on the Altar

Post by Meleearchers »

and he hasn't even mentioned shades! We are blessed with some amazing special choces. If anything, hydras should be rare..have they become that common in Naggaroth :lol:? Reapers in special is a good balance, think of how crazy any of your lists would be with ~200 more points in special
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Meleearchers wrote:ahydras should be rare..have they become that common in Naggaroth :lol:?
They used to be so tough that it is no surprise that they became less rare.
Now that they have lost true regeneration, who knows, they might become rare again?
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Actually they've gained true regeneration instead of losing it. The ability to regain wounds during the battle is why lore of life is as popular as it is.

I'm trying to find room for two hydras in my all comers list but I'm struggling due to "so many better choices" syndrome.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Kheel
Noble

Post by Kheel »

Meleearchers wrote:and he hasn't even mentioned shades! We are blessed with some amazing special choces. If anything, hydras should be rare..have they become that common in Naggaroth :lol:? Reapers in special is a good balance, think of how crazy any of your lists would be with ~200 more points in special

I don't use shades because I don't like how skirmish work in 8th edition. It's stupid and makes for a lot of weird situations while playing. Badly written rules, and that is why I stay away from anything skirmish.

Hydras are pure gold. Have 6 of them, and I always include at least 2 in any list I make. 160 points for something that killy, it's "imba".
//Kheel