Just bought the new rule book and....

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Meleearchers
Slave on the Altar

Just bought the new rule book and....

Post by Meleearchers »

My first thought after finishing it? Where did all our items go !lol!

They really put an end to the "unkillable DL". I can think of a few builds but nothing like what we had in the last book. We got to keep sac dagger but I'm going to miss the old tome of furion.

They up'ed warrior cost which is understandable, our core is pretty good. I don't like how they took away cosair frenzy. I think I'll either try handbow harass or stick a hag in there for frenzy. The scrunner chariot seems awfully fragile, how does the ravager harpoon playtest? I also don't like that they took away handlers for hydra. I love the medusa model but with T4 W3 no armor I don't see it getting much play. The reaper bolt thrower is one of my favorite models I'm glad it's going to be fielded more. I can't wait to try out warlocks and SoS.

How has the new book been treating you guys? How has your play adjusted from the old book?
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Just bought the new rule book and....

Post by Thraundil »

The "unkillable" characters are indeed gone. You can, however, still make some nasties, and lets face it pendant dreadlord was plain unfair. One of the badass builds of now is dreadlord on pegasus, full mundane, dawnstone, cloak of twilight and spellshield. 1+ rerollable, 3++ vs all the ranged stuff that denies an armor save, 2++ vs all spells. No ward in melee you say? No, but anything below S6 will give an armor reroll thats better than any ward you can buy, S6 will give the equivalence. Just avoid S7 and you'll do just fine. Plus, he hits like a truck on the charge! (Just dont get him challenged!)

Sac dagger I find seriously underwhelming now. Cheapest model to feed into it is a spear/sword warrior, but since its a random chance if you even gain anything from it now, it can very quickly escalate in potential cost. Sure, if you reduce your warrior unit by 50%, no biggie since it conserves points. But it gets increasingly easier for your opponent to put some kind of damage on the remaining models and gain points from the unit.

Corsairs are more medium infantry now than light, they have alot of flexibility in their use now. Small units of 10 with handweapons are too small to shoot, but too big to ignore as potential flankers. Scrunner is poor; costs the same as 2 normal RBT for just one more point of S (and some anti monster stuff), but its very fragile and easily destroyed. Medusa on foot is below mediocre, medusa on shrine is also a little too expensive for what it brings, especially with my local meta featuring lots of cannons.

General change from old book to new: close combat is even more efficient and important now. Dark magic is worthwhile, maybe even one of the best picks. Warriors are no longer an autoinclude sorceress bunker. Knights are better now than before ;) and of course, warlocks. Mmhm.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Kheel
Noble

Post by Kheel »

My five cents on our new book after using it for cassual games, and in the tournament scene.

Characters and magic items.
Only viable use of cloak of twilight is on a mage, as soon as a character with cloak of twilight is in combat, they pop and die. Use it on a level 4 on dark peg with mr 1. 3++ vs all shooting, and 2++ vs spells.
Sac Dagger has been nerfed beyond useless. Noone takes it if they expect to win. Some take it in cassual games.

Black Ark Fleetmaster is a sad joke. They included a hero choice in the lord choice. Not even used in fluffy lists. There is no reason to take this piece of garbage.
High Beastmaster can not take heavy armor or shield. This is a bigger deal than one would think, also it is only LD 9. Saw it one time on a scourgerunner, did pretty well and was quite feared, but did never get it's points back.

Death Hags with cauldron of blood is quite over priced for what it does. Does not see much play time. My personal taste is that I always include one with a moderate sized WE unit of 23-28 models. Since the Death Hag can not take any magic items except for poisons and magic weapons, she rarely survives round one. And if she does, she always dies to shooting and magic turn two. Never take any magic items or poisons on her, it never reaches combat alive.
Assassins are too expensive for what they do, and since they now take up hero points, I see no space in my army. Have never seen it in any tournament.

Core
Witch Elves are easilly our best core choice, second to black ark corsairs.
Witch Elves with a cauldron are deadly and has a strong ward save. I always take these with a cauldron, always.
Corsairs with hteir 4+ armor save and hand bows are great screeners. You move up close, open fire, get charged, stand and shoot or flee. You never charge with this support unit. If with adhw, the most common is a unit of 23-30. They are used by players that do not want frenzied units.
Spearelves/swordelves are really expensive for what they do, and compared with witch elves and corsairs, I myself never take them, and I see only a few smaller units.
Crossbowelves are really really really really over priced. But still a usefull unit. Mostly taken in smaller units with flaming banner.
Dark Riders can be seen in almost every dark elf army. They are just that good.

Special
Harpies is rarely included nowadays, and my personal note is that htey are too expensive and due to the nerf and point increase, I see them as free points to my enemy. I see no place for these anymore.
Executioners took a huge beating with the new book since they lost hatred, and use GW with their ASF. So they can no longer re-roll failed to hit rolls. However, they are 12p each, a bit too pricy for what they do, but they do see some play time every now and then. But they are more and more rarely played.
Black Guards is probably the most stable unit we have, and they see much more play time now than with our previous book.
Bolt Throwers became cheaper, and they are as strong as they ever were. I would take at least 2 in any list. The more the better.
Cold one Knights got a buff, but an even bigger points increase. Due to stupidity, you never see them in the tournament scene, but I take them in friendly lists.
Cold one Chariots, same as cold one knights.
Scourgerunner, not often seen, but every now and again they pop up.
Shades are better now than they ever was. Usually played without command, with great weapon and in units of 6-8.
Hydra has become cheaper. I have rarely seen them with fire shooting upgrades, people tend to stick with the idea of playing them as cheaply as possible.

Rare
Medusas has seen a lot of play time in local tournaments. Current meta is 2 medusas and 2 bloodwrack shrines. This makes orc and ogre players cringe.
Warlocks are the new hydra, people play them with great variation. But most common is a smaller unit of 5-8.
K-beast is seen as a good cann opener, used in any list facing warriors of chaos.
Sisters of Slaughter, not the most popular among units, but have seen them one time. They were not too shaby, but they didn't do anything witch elves could not have done as easilly or better.

Sure we have less magic items than we used to, but that is the current trend. No new book has more than a few magic items available.
All in all, I like the new book.
//Kheel

Nobody really cares if you’re miserable, so you might as well be happy.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Excellent thorough analysis by Kheel.
There are a few sentences, though, which might not meet consensus. Comments in the text.
Kheel wrote:My five cents on our new book after using it for cassual games, and in the tournament scene. My comments based on D.net army lists and batreps.

Special characters: while Hellebron has been found to be efficient, Morathi seems more difficult to play than it seems. Other special characters show up less often seen in battles.

Mounts: sorceresses and heroes can now vanguard when riding a DS. Yum!
Dragons are rare but seem to be efficient. Manticore can now be played, seemingly, with the armour upgrade.

Only viable use of cloak of twilight is on a mage, as soon as a character with cloak of twilight is in combat, they pop and die. Use it on a level 4 on dark peg with mr 1. 3++ vs all shooting, and 2++ vs spells.
Sac Dagger has been nerfed beyond useless. Noone takes it if they expect to win. Some take it in cassual games.
There is no obvious Lore emerging as best. Dark, Metal, Heavens, Shadows, Life, Death are seen, less often Light, Fire and Beasts.

Black Ark Fleetmaster is a sad joke. They included a hero choice in the lord choice. Not even used in fluffy lists. There is no reason to take this piece of garbage.

High Beastmaster can not take heavy armor or shield. This is a bigger deal than one would think, also it is only LD 9. Saw it one time on a scourgerunner, did pretty well and was quite feared, but did never get it's points back. Very efficient shooting, but pricey.

Death Hags with cauldron of blood is quite over priced for what it does. Does not see much play time. My personal taste is that I always include one with a moderate sized WE unit of 23-28 models. Since the Death Hag can not take any magic items except for poisons and magic weapons, she rarely survives round one. And if she does, she always dies to shooting and magic turn two. Never take any magic items or poisons on her, it never reaches combat alive.

Assassins are too expensive for what they do, and since they now take up hero points, I see no space in my army. Have never seen it in any tournament.

Core
Witch Elves are easilly our best core choice, second to black ark corsairs. Witch Elves with a cauldron are deadly and has a strong ward save. I always take these with a cauldron, always. WE are certainly very popular, but reversely many people don't like to have a large an expensive unit which is frenzied and has no armour.

Corsairs with their 4+ armor save and hand bows are great screeners. You move up close, open fire, get charged, stand and shoot or flee. You never charge with this support unit. Not very common.
If with adhw, the most common is a unit of 23-30. They are used by players that do not want frenzied units.

Spearelves/swordelves are really expensive for what they do, and compared with witch elves and corsairs, I myself never take them, and I see only a few smaller units. They make sense only as large units, especially for dagger fuel or steadfast contest, neither of which is a game winning strategy.

Crossbowelves are really really really really over priced. But still a usefull unit. Mostly taken in smaller units with flaming banner. Arguably one of the best shooting unit in WHFB, but BS shooting wins no battle.

Dark Riders can be seen in almost every dark elf army. They are just that good. Many players take only DR as core troops. They have become an auto-include troop.

Special
Harpies is rarely included nowadays, and my personal note is that htey are too expensive and due to the nerf and point increase, I see them as free points to my enemy. I see no place for these anymore. They are no longer auto-include. They fulfill now the niche of flying unit for specific uses.

Executioners took a huge beating with the new book since they lost hatred, and use GW with their ASF. So they can no longer re-roll failed to hit rolls. However, they are 12p each, a bit too pricy for what they do, but they do see some play time every now and then. But they are more and more rarely played. Disagree on this one. ASF gives them a huge boost, and they remain one of the best option for high S attacks. Great complement to WE.

Black Guards is probably the most stable unit we have, and they see much more play time now than with our previous book. I did not see them often in the army lists here. Many people consider Execs to be a better choice.

Bolt Throwers became cheaper, and they are as strong as they ever were. I would take at least 2 in any list. The more the better. Nearly auto-include, very often maxed at 4.

Cold one Knights got a buff, but an even bigger points increase. Due to stupidity, you never see them in the tournament scene, but I take them in friendly lists.

Scourgerunner, not often seen, but every now and again they pop up. What the experienced opponent fears is the potential, not the statistical achievement.

Shades are better now than they ever was. Usually played without command, with great weapon and in units of 6-8.

Hydra has become cheaper. I have rarely seen them with fire shooting upgrades, people tend to stick with the idea of playing them as cheaply as possible. No longer auto-include; excellent anti-infantry.

Rare
Medusas has seen a lot of play time in local tournaments. Current meta is 2 medusas and 2 bloodwrack shrines. This makes orc and ogre players cringe.
First time I heard about playing medusas in tournies. Would be interested in reading more. A medusa is usually considered to be very difficult to play.
Shrines have seen lots of successes. Could be combined with SoS or regular infantry. Could synergize with Life sorc, remaining safely in 2nd rank.

Warlocks are the new hydra, people play them with great variation. But most common is a smaller unit of 5-8. Auto-include indeed. Good in melee, good in magic.

K-beast is seen as a good can opener, used in any list facing warriors of chaos.

Sisters of Slaughter, not the most popular among units, but have seen them one time. They were not too shaby, but they didn't do anything witch elves could not have done as easilly or better. Disagree. SoS and WE have very different roles. WE rely on massive number of attacks to overcome opponent's combat resolution, while SoS deny opponent's combat resolution in the first place, and score a few kills themselves. SoS can be used in small conga-units complementing your main fighting unit, or with a shrine as the perfect anvil, able to defeat opposing anvils by itself.

Sure we have less magic items than we used to, but that is the current trend. No new book has more than a few magic items available.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Datalink7
Noble

Post by Datalink7 »

Kheel wrote:My five cents on our new book after using it for cassual games, and in the tournament scene.

Good to see the thoughtful comments, but I strongly disagree with a few points.

Absolutely not, IMO. The Cloak of Twilight on a Pegasus Rider is very good. On a Master, makes him the ultimate War Machine hunter and Chaff Remover, and also able to add combat power when needed. Still durable with a 1+ Armor save, Toughness 4, and 3 Wounds.

On a Dreadlord on Pegasus, still allows for a 1+ rerollable. This makes him more versatile, able to take on certain kinds of units as with Leadership 10, if you factor in probably taking no wounds you can hold even if you do poorly in your own attacks.

A Peg Rider with Cloak of Twilight has become an auto-include for me and it is one of my most consistently performing units.

Certainly not beyond useless. However, I agree it isn't the strongest choice any more.

Agreed.

High Beastmaster can not take heavy armor or shield. This is a bigger deal than one would think, also it is only LD 9. Saw it one time on a scourgerunner, did pretty well and was quite feared, but did never get it's points back.

I think that the High Beastmaster, while not as horrible as the Black Ark Fleetmaster, also doesn't bring enough to the table to warrant taking him in other than fluffy or friendly type games.

This is untrue. It depends on what Army you face. If you face Dwarves/Empire/DoC/Ogres with a lot of cannons, then her chances of survival are quite low. Otherwise, she is likely to survive until combat and perhaps beyond.

Also, the Cauldron is quite good. The 5+ Ward save for the WE helps ensure a decent amount reach combat, and the Cauldron itself with T6, W5 and a 4++ is quite hard to get rid of itself. A Cauldron with 30 WE has become a staple in my lists as well and hasn't let me down yet.

Agreed they are too expensive and don't do enough. Unfortunate as they are maybe my favorite unit fluff wise.

Core
Witch Elves are easilly our best core choice, second to black ark corsairs.
Witch Elves with a cauldron are deadly and has a strong ward save. I always take these with a cauldron, always.
Corsairs with hteir 4+ armor save and hand bows are great screeners. You move up close, open fire, get charged, stand and shoot or flee. You never charge with this support unit. If with adhw, the most common is a unit of 23-30. They are used by players that do not want frenzied units.
Spearelves/swordelves are really expensive for what they do, and compared with witch elves and corsairs, I myself never take them, and I see only a few smaller units.
Crossbowelves are really really really really over priced. But still a usefull unit. Mostly taken in smaller units with flaming banner.
Dark Riders can be seen in almost every dark elf army. They are just that good.

Largely agree here except I'd say Dark Riders are the second best choice instead of black ark corsairs. Fast Cav with a 4+ Armor Save is really nice to have.

Special
Harpies is rarely included nowadays, and my personal note is that htey are too expensive and due to the nerf and point increase, I see them as free points to my enemy. I see no place for these anymore.

People underestimate the fly ability. I started taking Harpies in my last three games or so and just having the ability to fly and redirect with ease has been invaluable. And a small unit of 5 is fairly cheap still at 75 points. Slightly worse than before but certainly still worth taking if you have a specific purpose in mind.

Executioners took a huge beating with the new book since they lost hatred, and use GW with their ASF. So they can no longer re-roll failed to hit rolls. However, they are 12p each, a bit too pricy for what they do, but they do see some play time every now and then. But they are more and more rarely played.

Again strongly disagree here. ASF has helped them a lot, due to their fragile nature, as it allows them to thin the enemy so they can't strike back. Also, with Murderous Prowess, most of the time every hit that they make will be a wound since they tend to wound on a 2+. Executioners are second only to WE IMO as a main fighting block.

Black Guards is probably the most stable unit we have, and they see much more play time now than with our previous book.

I think they'll see less play time. While they aren't bad, they are 15ppm. When you look at Executioners and Witch Elves, you have your can openers and meat grinders. Black Guard are sort of half way in between without being as good as either, and are a lot more expensive. They aren't useless, but to me they play second string behind Executioners and Witch Elves. They can be better if you build a strategy around them (Lore of Beasts or Power of Darkness, giving them +1S, make them a lot better for instance).

Bolt Throwers became cheaper, and they are as strong as they ever were. I would take at least 2 in any list. The more the better.

Agreed. 2+ in all lists IMO.

Stupidity isn't that big of a deal if you have a BSB nearby. CoK I think got worse, but can still be alright as a flanking unit. I actually like CoC quite a bit. They are really cheap for a T5 model with a decent amount of attacks, impact hits, W4 and 3+ armor. You get a lot of value for the points. They even have Repeating Crossbows as an added bonus.

Scourgerunner, not often seen, but every now and again they pop up.

To me, this thing is overpriced and doesn't do enough to justify its cost.

Shades are nice. GW or AHW are both good options. AHW is better if you want to use them to hunt war machines.

Hydra has become cheaper. I have rarely seen them with fire shooting upgrades, people tend to stick with the idea of playing them as cheaply as possible.

I think the Hydra became a lot worse. However, it is nice that it is in special so if you are looking for target saturation they fit the bill. Cheap cost as well. Spit fire is a horrible ability, don't buy it. However, if you have the points to spare, it is never bad to have flaming breath.

Rare

Interesting. I haven't seen that in my local meta. They seem too vulnerable and in need of babysitting with LD2. You do see some Bloodwrack Shrines though.

Warlocks are the new hydra, people play them with great variation. But most common is a smaller unit of 5-8.

Warlocks are amazing. I would take them even if they didn't have any casting ability whatsoever. They've never let me down and typically surprise people with their combat ability.

K-beast is seen as a good cann opener, used in any list facing warriors of chaos.

Kharibdyss is quite good in my eyes. Brings nice strength and has excellent stats for a monster. High initiative is really helpful when you hunt other monsters with it, or want to strike some Demigryph Knights before dying. Reroll successful leadership tests synergizes really well with Cry of War on a Death Hag.

Sisters of Slaughter, not the most popular among units, but have seen them one time. They were not too shaby, but they didn't do anything witch elves could not have done as easilly or better.

Agreed.

I like the new book as well.

Anyway, those are my alternative thoughts.
Ashes and Diamons,
Foe and Friend,
We are all equal,
In the End.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Executioners have been turbo-charged compared to old book.

S6 striking on I5 vs ASL? Options for frenzy and turbo frenzy? Yes please! :mrgreen:

Datalink7 wrote:CoK I think got worse, but can still be alright as a flanking unit.

Disagree. With ASF and MP they almost auto-hit and wound against most troops. Extra S4 attack from the Cold One's is handy too.

They don't get the Hydra Banner anymore...but that was a crutch and not the COK themselves doing the damage.

Stupidity is still a problem though.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Kheel wrote:Witch Elves are easilly our best core choice, second to black ark corsairs.
Datalink7 wrote:Largely agree here except I'd say Dark Riders are the second best choice instead of black ark corsairs.
Actually, the best core is arguably DR, which are the only auto-include core troops.
While there are hardly any list with no DR, you can see many lists without WE and more lists without corsairs.
Furthermore, there are even lists fielding only DR as core, while there are no list fielding only WE or corsairs.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Meleearchers
Slave on the Altar

Post by Meleearchers »

I hope fleetmaster is just a tragic mistake, like the light armor exies of old, that will get fixed at some point

I bought a 2-3 regiments of warriors a couple months before the update to finish my sorc's spearmen bus, guess that won't be happening. Remember 9pt warriors in a world of 10pt cosairs? Warriors are out again. I don't think I'll bunker my sorc in a cosair block, so 1 with the rxb and 1 on a steed with cloak of twilight sounds good.

It seems like the new core consists of dark riders and witch elf hordes. The new CoB seems to only be worth it if you take it with the witch elves, which I think also contributes to the "horde-y" mentality. I have ~20 metal WE so that cost is curbed, now to get some DR and warlocks....

Even though black guard have eternal hatred and ASF, they can still only re-roll their to hit once as per BRB correct? If that were not the case they would be way better than exies.

Taking 2 medusas and 2 shrines seems like the only way for them to get something done. Do any of you take a hydra and a k-beast? Maybe sneak in a hydra with those two and it can get close enough to bloodwrack stare
Last edited by Meleearchers on Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gerner
Noble

Post by Gerner »

You can only re-roll once. But the Eternal Hatred secure them the re-roll against other with ASF (other elves and timewarp). :)
lil' fisty
Warrior

Post by lil' fisty »

I like the sacrificial dagger on a level 4 life sorceress in a horde of 50 spears. With monsters, shades and cavalry depending on who I'm facing to round out the rest of the army it certainly makes for a fun game at the very least!
Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

I don't think spears should be completely discounted. Being able to fight in 3-4 ranks depending on if it's a horde or not, throw in PoD and you have up to 40 WS4 S4 attacks. Spears can form a nice solid defensive anchor in an otherwise aggressive army.
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image
lil' fisty
Warrior

Post by lil' fisty »

It's true. with the beasts and dark signature spells and life's flesh to stone, It's not out of the question to have 50 toughness 6-8 elves with strength 5. Of course you could do that with any unit besides spears, but those points saved go a long way, especially when dagger fuel.

And the old dagger was just silly. I never used it. Same with the pendant/crown of command pegasus goon. I like the magic item selection now. some of the other lists are just a snore besides a single item...Although I do like the chaos skull of Katam item, that is damn good.

...Now as for the Gem of Spite....Good gravy is that nigh on useless. I literally have a hard time picturing a bigger waste of 35 points in magic items...Seed of rebirth with gamblers armour and tormentor sword? Nope even that's better!
Kheel
Noble

Post by Kheel »

Dragon9 wrote:I don't think spears should be completely discounted. Being able to fight in 3-4 ranks depending on if it's a horde or not, throw in PoD and you have up to 40 WS4 S4 attacks. Spears can form a nice solid defensive anchor in an otherwise aggressive army.

I agree with this. Spears over sword/shield makes for more attacks and stacks better with our murderous prowess. I don't see why anyone would take bleakswords, corsairs would be a better choice if one is looking for a more defensive option than spears.
//Kheel

Kheel
Noble

Post by Kheel »

Calisson wrote:Rare
First time I heard about playing medusas in tournies. Would be interested in reading more. A medusa is usually considered to be very difficult to play.
Shrines have seen lots of successes. Could be combined with SoS or regular infantry. Could synergize with Life sorc, remaining safely in 2nd rank.

In two hours, I'm hosting a 40 people tournament for this weekend. I have a participant with a list including 2 medusaes on foot (slithering snake limbs). I will have a look at his play and see how it goes for him :)
Theres not many on foot in this tournament, maybe the meta has changed. But it's hard to say on such a small tournament, and with only this one.
//Kheel