2x Dreadlord on pegasus

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

7avito
Trainee Warrior

2x Dreadlord on pegasus

Post by 7avito »

Hello!

I am playing a league with 13 players under ETC rules. I have been doing quite well in this format with a very mobile army (DL on a dragon, 2 peg masters, locks, DR…) but I feel the dragon is not performing as I would expect. Further more the only loss I had after 4 games was a 1st turn, 1st shot dead dragon and DL by an Ogre cannon. So I am thinking to change the dragon for another DL on Pegasus, but I don't seem to find the perfect set up on the magic items. I have been reading the forum and studied the post for character builds, but so far I have needed my characters to support each other. They just can't beat LM heroes on cold ones nor kitted out Chaos Lords on their own. So, knowing that I am only facing one dwarf army, one skavens and one Ogres it is not like there are plenty of canons running around, what would be your set up for 2 DL on pegasus + 3 peg masters OR 2 peg masters and a master on a manticore? I am just amazed about the utility and precision of our peg masters/DL, and want to go for a list like this.
My most feared opponents, and ones that I have not played against yet, are 2 WoC armies, both with fully kitted Chaos Lord and Hero on demonic mount, chimeras, chariots, fast cav…
What list would you propose?

Thanks for reading!

Javier.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: 2x Dreadlord on pegasus

Post by Amboadine »

The issue with running two Dreadlords is that you cannot run a SS. There are numerous examples of multi peg lists here. But I shall point you in the direction of Thraundil who has had recent tournament success using ETC builds.

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73668
7avito
Trainee Warrior

Post by 7avito »

Thanks a lot Amboadine!

Javier
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Uh, cheers for the namedropping Ambo! ;)

Double dreadlord on pegasus is dodgy. 2nd Peg lord vs a 3rd peg master, you get just 1 attack, a point in I and WS which are seldom that important for us dark elves, and 50 pts more of magic item allowance. Which can give you an ogre blade, sure, but at the cost of a lvl 4. Im not sold, and I think a peglord, lvl 4 and 3 pegmasters will do you a bunch better than 2 peglords and 2 pegmasters.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Errdrigar
Highborn

Post by Errdrigar »

Thraundil wrote:Uh, cheers for the namedropping Ambo! ;)

Double dreadlord on pegasus is dodgy. 2nd Peg lord vs a 3rd peg master, you get just 1 attack, a point in I and WS which are seldom that important for us dark elves, and 50 pts more of magic item allowance. Which can give you an ogre blade, sure, but at the cost of a lvl 4. Im not sold, and I think a peglord, lvl 4 and 3 pegmasters will do you a bunch better than 2 peglords and 2 pegmasters.

You've brought up some valid points. But there are more than few occasions when those 50 pts of magic items and better stats can make a great difference. Having two Dreadlords gives you an opportunity to equip them properly versus many opponents.

I've checked your list from Amboadine's link and, for example, despite having 4 combat characters you don't have any magic weapon. That's a huge disadventage which alone can decide about loosing a game if you meet something as nasty as 2x10 Hexwraiths or Kadai Destroyer.

Other thing is that your pegheroes are only dangerous on a charge and there are some threats tough enough to survive it. In subsequent rounds of combat they have only strength of 4 which won't do much harm to something that survived 1st round. If you had two Dreadlords you could build one of them for such combats.

Besides that, Lvl 4 Sorc is by no means mandatory as many dice of Power Pool are often used by Warlocks. Although I have to admit that +4 to dispel is very handy compared to only +2.

And for the end I want to mention that when I run two Dreadlords in my list only one is mounted on a Peggy. Second one runs on a Dark Steed with Dark Riders. I find having Lord with a Vanguard move extremely useful and he is even better protected from cannons thanks to Look Out Sir rule.

Cheers.
7avito
Trainee Warrior

Post by 7avito »

That is exactly the point Errdrigar. Besides, under ETC rules magic is not as game breaking as it can be otherwise. Only 5 dice max allowed to cast any spell, but for the nastiest which are 4 dice only. That usually gives the dispeller the chance of getting the important one dispelled, and you see far less IF. And as you say, with 2 units of locks, I find myself more than comfortable with their 4 spells, which are always useful, at any given time in the battle.
I see each of the peg masters/DL as an scalpel, tooled to deal with different things, and having 1 more character with 50 more magic points allowance is just great.
My usual setup is General with Ogre blade + Black Amulet, 2nd Dreadlord I am thinking on going with Enchanted shield, pot of strength and 4++, plus lance. This would allow me to do a 2nd round of combat at Str 7 OR charging at Str 9 if needed. Although squeezing a CoT to him would make him very deadly on the charge.
For masters I am thinking on going for a BSB CoT Master, plus a Master on a Manticore for target saturation AND dealing with hordes of infantry. I know it looks better with 3 peg masters, but the Manticore would be really helpful to deal with some low Ld and high body count armies.
MangoPunch
Noble

Post by MangoPunch »

On foot or in a bus I would take: Ogre Blade + Black Amulet // Giant Blade + Dawnstone + Charmed Shield. But on Pegusi I think for the 2nd DL a ward is preferable, so Giant Blade + Charmed Shield + Talisman of Endurance, or Lance + PoS + Talisman of Preservation.
-JGB

Group 42 - Harkyl Anroc - Shade
WS: 5 / S: 2 / T: 2 / D: 5 / I: 5
Equipment: Staff, Throwing Knives
Inventory: Mysterious Map
Skills: Awareness, Basic Stealth, Defensive Fighting
7avito
Trainee Warrior

Post by 7avito »

Hello MangoPunch,

For my second DL I am thinking going with Giant Blade, Enchanted Shield (to save some points), Opal Amulet and ToTS on a pegasus. He would be a glass cannon, or a nice addition to any challenge my general is in, just make sure not to contact him btb, to make the challenger reroll ward saves. I would be at max points Lords allowance, but working as a couple these DL could take on almost anything.

Javier.