what is the "dark elf way" of tactics?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Ruby
Trainee Warrior

Re: what is the "dark elf way" of tactics?

Post by Ruby »

Vietnow wrote:Depends on the scenario and your opponent. Too general of a question to have one answer. If you gave us some more specific hypothetical situations it would be easier.

Standard deployment and victory condition-victory points.Table has a few hills and a couple of forest on the table.Opponent has a horde and a few elite troop unites with 2-3 warmachines.
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Ruby wrote:Standard deployment and victory condition-victory points.Table has a few hills and a couple of forest on the table.Opponent has a horde and a few elite troop unites with 2-3 warmachines.

WHOSE hordes and elites? Where and how big are the hills and forests? How big is the area between them and how is it arranged?

You approach Empire differently than you approach Skaven than you approach WOC. There's a big difference in how you maneuver around terrain in the middle as opposed to in the corners. If the enemy has strong shooting, you maneuver to use the forests and hills as cover and risk the DT tests, if not then you tend to avoid them and their DT tests.

There is no single tactic that will guarantee success. It simply does not exist. Even hardcore deathstar armies can be smashed if handled properly.

Each opposing army is different (even Dwarves - there's a world of difference between a gunline and a Strollaz list). Each table is different. To try and define one plan that covers all situations is folly. Thus, we give general (and rather vague) suggestions, because YOU have to tailor what you're doing to the conditions that exist on YOUR table. Specific advice for our table is rarely useful for yours.
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

possibly look through the battle report section.

msu or meu approach is still valid, but it takes more skill to execute, as well as it does not forgive any mistakes during deployment. that why so few people use it. and even in experienced hands a few bad rolls can be devastating.

then again in your units are positioned properly a bad roll here and there doesn't result in a major points loss. if your new to the hobby try to get as many games in as you can against better opponents but after a 100 games you'll start winning.

Also a well designed list helps a lot. Look through the DRAICH for help. And a little auto promotion. By reading them, you should be able to take your gaming to the next level.

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71009

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71733

http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=104028&start=0

Hope it helps
Also known as Kanadian
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

By and large, my dark elf army deploys as a thin black line. The more vulnerable units may have screeners deployed in front (e.g. 6 harpies in front of my horde of executioners or witches), but generally its a long narrow row that spreads from one side of the board to the other, with little depth. Essentially, I work on the premise that my hammer units should have enough ummph to smash through the units in front of them, while my anvil units should have enough durability that they can absorb several turns of enemy attacks without breaking, and my distract/delay troops have enough speed and maneuverability that they can run circles around their opposing units for at least several turns before expiring.

Other armies (particularly horde armies and armies with lots of melee and little shooting) like to deploy several rows deep with a shorter frontage, so that once the first is destroyed or broken up, the second and third waves can push forward into the foes behind them. But I think dark elves usually avoid such set ups, because units placed behind other units tend to get bogged down and do nothing. The exception is of course shooting units, who often go on a hill behind the main line if there is on.

Of course, it all varies depending on scenario, opponent, and army setup, but generally I do find myself using the thin black line approach.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Lhel
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Lhel »

When I started to get back into the game I read the battle reports in Druchii net and found those very enlightening to show how to use units in different situations.

I have the picture of a Praying mantis in my head when I play, wait for the right moment to decapitate your opponent all while trying to keep your own nicely mounted and attached.

Granted I would never want to be a praying mantis in a Dark Elf society.... :killed: