Dark elves mounted and monster - 2K

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

LordLucifer
Slave on the Altar

Dark elves mounted and monster - 2K

Post by LordLucifer »

Hello fellow sailors and slavers!

New member here, and looking to get some input on a list I am currently building and painting for 8th edition. I have played Warhammer fantasy for nigh on 20 years now (with a recent hiatus...), however have always historically played high elves and so now that I am starting back up, I thought I would turn to the dark side and give the Dark Elves a go.

I fall somewhere between fluffy and competitive in my approach to list building and playing - I like to work to a theme or restriction. This army is obviously based around the concept of an all mounted force, with monstrous support. The Cold Ones are a small bus, with both Cold one characters residing there. The units of 10 dark riders work as medium but mobile cav. 3 hydra are there to pull attention away from the rest of the force with the peg master warmachine/chaff huntiong or lending flank charge support later in the game

Anyway, without further ado - here's the list, 1999pts, do your worst!

Supreme Sorc - LV4 Dark Magic
Book of Asur, Talisman of Endurance
Cold one

Master
BSB
Heavy armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Great weapon
Talisman of protection
Cold one

Master
Heavy armour, Sea Dragon cloak, Shield, Lance, repeater handbow
Cloak of twighlight
Dark Pegasus

10 Dark Riders
Shields
Musician and Standard

10 Dark Riders
Shields
Musician and Standard

5 Dark Riders
Shields, Crossbows
Musician and Standard

8 Cold One Knights
Full command
Standard of Discipline

War hydra
Fiery Breath

War hydra
Fiery Breath

War hydra
Fiery Breath
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: Dark elves mounted and monster - 2K

Post by Calisson »

Welcome LordLucifer to Druchii.net.
Wow, very mobile!
Hope that cold ones' stupidity won't turn your main unit into a sitting duck.
I'm impressed by the size of the units of DR. They will die fast to shooting, magic and melee.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Red...
Generalissimo

Re: Dark elves mounted and monster - 2K

Post by Red... »

From a fun-level point of view, unless your opponent is running an equally cheesy list, your list is going to be pretty miserable to go up against.

3 Hydras is too many. Even in the new book, they remain very strong and at 2k you are really being cheeky by having so many. Go with at most 2.

This level of mobility is likely to create a game in which you either end up not actually getting to battle (with you just spinning around the map shooting the enemy to death) or your army getting either caught in combat or beaten up on by an even tougher missile army and collapsing quickly. Neither outcome is much fun.

Do you need to be this imbalanced in terms of having nothing but cavalry and monsters?
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman