Ant's new non SoC cult list 2250pts *Updated: Game 1: Asur*

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Sai'cet
Executioner

Post by Sai'cet »

I agree with keeping Witchbrew. It benefits the entire unit, not just the Hag. I also support changing the Shades to Harpies. With re-rolls to wound and 2 Attacks each they will be much more effective, and cheaper too. They could be effective flank breakers on lightly armoured troops that could be shooting your Witch Elves. My final point in favour of Harpies is this: they simply fit your apparent Khainite theme better.

YAY HARPIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm like the Joker but more in your face

ALL HAIL GORGONOTH, THE DARK LORD OF PUDDING!
Geoguswrek
Highborn

Post by Geoguswrek »

Ant: i don't think you can rely on your rerolls for the harpies: if they are going wm hunting, you'll be out of cauldron range so harpies have the same problems against dwarfs and whatnot as normal. admittedly in the area of charging into a unit to hunt a wizard, the rerolls may be useful (they give you a better than 50% chance of killing most wizards. and indeed i see them being more useful than shades (you can't reroll to wound your shooting, and harpies make more effective herders of units like kroxigors in my oppinion - due to a higher move value which means they can threaten march blocking over a wider area).
thinking thematically i dont like either the witches or the harpies in the list: although you could go for fury models for the harpies so they fit your cult theme. but the witches IMO dont make sense (as you are using your devoted models as exes) maybe it would fit if you did sometihng with daemonettes for the witches, but otherwise, i don't see them fittting the theme and as you know im not a fan of the witches - i'd rather have something more reliable, or that mkaes better use of your rerolls: exes, more static combat res warriors or maybe some chariots.
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Khainite theme better.

Can no one read these days?
Pleased to be back
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

George: themewise I can fit both in easy. i wasthinking of doing deomonettes with wings as furies for my cult list anyway; I can just put them on smaller bases. And I was just gonna say the witches were devoted (2 units with different weapon options). Although the idea of using deamonettes is great so I'll think I'll nick it, cheers!

Sai'cet: What Ras said. I worship slaanesh not Khaine!
Ash010110 wrote: I completely agree with Ant (Reynolds, I presume?).

(Please note, I am NOT Anthony Reynolds)
Geoguswrek
Highborn

Post by Geoguswrek »

see, i am useful for something (other than proving the use of the venom sword)
DAMN VENOM SWORD
and yeh ant, i think the daemonettes fit better, especially as your "cauldron" is slightly different, so justifies the additional benefits more than if they were devoted (why would the witch devoted get extra benefits that the exe devoted don't?).
don't like witches anyway
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

don't like witches anyway

I picked up on that already :D :P
Pleased to be back
Geoguswrek
Highborn

Post by Geoguswrek »

in the game we played on friday, i would have been in trouble had that unit of witches been a unit of warriors, or a unit of exes. i was able to isolate and destroy the witches due to frenzy, giving me a nice wide hole in the middle of Ant's army. if ant had had execs, he could have chosen not to overrun, and then fled from my countercharge, leaving me in a majorly bad position.
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

True george, but had I left the DRs in front of the WEs (they had no reason to move away really) the WEs wouldn't have had to charge in the first place. And had I shot the flanking unit of silvers the WEs would have won combat against the DPs (IIRC I only lost by 4, and withput the SHs in the flank I'd have had outnumber, 2 ranks, more attacks back and you'd have done less wounds. I think a unit that will only lose by 4 in such a situation is quite useful. I just need to practice controlling it and supporting it more.

Scactha
Executioner

Post by Scactha »

I must say that I love the general idéa of this list. It makes one of our worst choices seem more viable. Lovely reports too. It really has inspired me to hit the brushes again with my Druchii.

I was wondering about a variant of the RnF. You say the army is slow and expects to engage about round 3-4. Thus it needs a way to survive light shooting because you expect to handle artillery. Add to this the nave of the spokes, the CoB, would Corsairs not be a viable option? They cost 2 points more than spearelves but have 1 pip better save and xhw which they can capitalise on thanks to the CoB. Maybe something like giving the role of mowing through RnF to them with a warbanner and a few extra numbers instead of witches and some spearelves alongside more Execs?

A front of 5 Corsairs would net (11 x (4/6) x 0.75) ~= 5.5 wounds vs Ws3/T3.
Witches would net (16 x (4/6) x 0.75) ~= 9 wounds vs the same.

Add to this Corsairs 5+/4+ save vs. Witches Frenzy and 6+ wardsave.

Corsairs are about 2/3 the cost of Witches and both can have the warbanner which the spearelves cannot have in either case.

It´s not a sure choice imho. There´s synergy to consider although I must admit I am a sucker for spreading the power over my armies and preferbale have as many people as possible able to solve as many missions as possible.
Is this life? Toil! - Lord Byron

My personal gallery of my Druchii forces.
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

is the venom sword that thing for 75 pts or something else (sorry for this stupid question but i´m not english, so...)
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

Woah, this is an old thread! Probably needs locking. I'll answer the questions anyway though.

Scactha:
Thus it needs a way to survive light shooting because you expect to handle artillery ... would Corsairs not be a viable option?

The spearelves are there purely for the ranks really. I don't expect them to kill anything, ever. They are also generally one of the last units to be shot at as well, so the exrta save in combat is more useful. And they are likely to get charged so spears are almost always better than xhws. If I choose to use them I only lose one attack per enemy kill rather than 2, and I have the same number of starting attacks as well.

Vs withches your maths looks compelling, although the witches already do almost twice the damage (and you've ignored the witches' poison though; a big factor), but how often are you up against WS3 T3 troops almost never.you are almost always up against WS4 and/or T4 troops, usually with armour. This is where the WS5 and poison of the witches is really needed (not to mention the extra attacks).

LotET: Yes.

I'd like to suggest that anyone who has any more questions about this list ask me via pm rather than posting in this year old thread. You might annoy the mods otherwise!