Beginner Army

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

[w]arrior^
Slave (off the Altar)

Beginner Army

Post by [w]arrior^ »

Hello all,

I'm quite new in the warhammer world so I need some advise;
I started to collect a Dark Elf army, so I bought some units:

1 Warrior regiment (16 Repeater Crossbowmen) with Lordling, Standard and a musician.
and
1 Executioner unit (10) without any musician, Draich master, or Standard bearer

but what I need to know is what is the best thing to do as a next step?
:roll:
The_everchosen
Beastmaster
Location: Trying to think of something witty to put in this box

Post by The_everchosen »

You need some kind of leader - so I'd get a sorceress or noble to lead the army.

Then, I'd get some Dark Riders, as they're great in just about any kind of DE army. If you don't like the models (or cost) of the Dark Riders, you could always use glade guard with Xbows from your warrior pack. You'll have a couple spare that you could use to make a sorceress or Noble.

You could do with a block of troops as an 'anvil' so I'd get another Warrior pack and add 4 of your existing warriors to make a unit of 20 spearmen, and one of 12 Xbowmen. The Lordling and Standard aren't necessary in the Xbow unit. The stand is free VPs to your opponent, and you won't get much use out of a champ.

Hope that helps :D
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it - Winston Churchill
Opera of death
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Owns all the slaves responsible for monsterdoo removal, stables of Karond Kar

Post by Opera of death »

Welcome to Druchii.net

Get some WE Glade Riders and convert them to Dark Riders.

Buy two more boxes of Warriors and configure your army as 1 x 20 spear warriors with full command and 2 x 12 rxb with shields. The four spare models should include 2 musicians that you can use in your rxbs if you want to. One of the remaining figures can be converted to a foot noble.

These changes are for the reasons given by The_Everchosen.

You need at least one, and preferably two mounted nobles, with lance, and can convert these from Dark Rider caoomand models. You could also get the mounted soreceress and put her on a horse two. Two boxes of Glade Riders will get you 16 horses, so you could have 3 x 5 Dark riders and one spare, but I would also get a couple of DE Dark rider champions too.

After that Chariots, Harpies and RBT are one way to go.
I like the sound of screaming in the morning; it invigourates the soul.
Drek
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Drek »

Welcome to d-net!

Again, get a unit of Dark Riders and one character to be a general, probably a fighting one such as a noble. Try some warbands games, they are a great way to learn and require fewer models.

Druchii are a blast, have fun!
[w]arrior^
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by [w]arrior^ »

thx for all the help 8) :D

here's my plan;
Dark riders
Noble
Spearmen
and maybe an assasin or beast
(or prehaps a bolt trower)
(still not sure about it :? )
Sedro
Beastmaster
Location: sieging Ulthuan...alone when not in gothenburg Sweden

Post by Sedro »

Corsairs are good,you can make them from glade guards with DE arms and heads these parts is plenty of in your Warriors boxes dont forgot Corsairs have 2 hand weapons so you need to change the spear to hand weapon.
The_everchosen
Beastmaster

Post by The_everchosen »

I wouldn't bother with an assasin, I've always found mine to be immensely over-costed, however the bolt thrower is very good.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I agree with Everchosen. You have a good line-up allready and the bolt thrower is a better candidate that both monster or assassin.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Saireth darkblade
Cold One Knight

Post by Saireth darkblade »

ok well your army is a good plan but when you will eventually neede to expand to a 2000 pts army i would recommend: more bolt throwers cold one knights and either a high sorceress or a highborn

for the bigginer part i would take what you have and but a bolt thrower in there (there awsome and alway get thier points back for me)

P.S. i would wait till after the summer campaing to get a nice big army beacuse we may be getting models if the dark elves win the campaigne
Do not fear death...only Hell

Regardes from,

Saireth Darkblade a Dread Knight of the druchii.
The_everchosen
Beastmaster

Post by The_everchosen »

saireth darkblade wrote:P.S. i would wait till after the summer campaing to get a nice big army beacuse we may be getting models if the dark elves win the campaigne

Waiting's not always the best idea. I'm still waiting for the plastic chaos knights they promised us during the Storm of chaos..........
Darklord of naggaroth
Dark Rider
Location: A dreaded place where any mere mortal would not be able to bear...Manchester

Post by Darklord of naggaroth »

I'd say switch the dark riders for 5 COK. I know they're very expensive but they are so effective and a must in my book. My second unit was 10 COK and look how I turned out. :D
The Weak deserve To Die
DarkLord
Fenix
Executioner

Post by Fenix »

Mwah, when using Execs in the list as hard hitters CoK are far from needed. A group of Dark Riders offer flexibility instead of hitting power.

Problem is you have to calculate the movement speed of the execs in, then again if you play right you got the constant anoyance of maybe going stupid.
For reliabilty, which is good to a newer player, and seeing he already got execs. CoK not needed for now.

And as stated multiple times already, some Dark Riders, a general plus maybe some other things for a larger point amount but not needed to get an image of how the game works.
So off to play some games :)

PS. Darklord how did you turn out then? ;)
"My time will come.. Like time always does. For everyone.."
[w]arrior^
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by [w]arrior^ »

ok,
I made my coming step:

Dark Riders
Sorceress as general
and a RBT
and some spearmen

(and the 3th step; I still dont know 8) :lol: )

thx for all the help!
:P
Saireth darkblade
Cold One Knight

Post by Saireth darkblade »

oooo and i almost forgot corsairs (go for 3rd step) for 2 pts more they have evrything that the spearmen have except for the hand weapon and shield bonus but the SDC makes up for it and if they do get charged they may still be able to do 11 atacks!! (if you have champion) so they arfe great flankers and are good blocks of troops

and executioners are awsome and if you want get a few ogre to put some extra UMPF in your army but that WAY WAY ahead ;)
Do not fear death...only Hell

Regardes from,

Saireth Darkblade a Dread Knight of the druchii.
[w]arrior^
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by [w]arrior^ »

aight

I havent bought a lot for my army.
(just some terrain stuff)

but the Reaper is here!!! 8)

(that thing costed me almost a fortune!) :?
Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

what attracted you first to the dark elf range? For most people it was the new executioners (can you blame them, they're awsome models). whatever first drew you to the range, be it rules wise or fluff or models go out and buy them, and theme your army around them.

You can worry about the advanced stuff if they stick on youl.
Macdeath
Corsair

Post by Macdeath »

Okay, at first it would be nice to tell us if you're a keen modelist...

If it is the case, then build yourself a nice bunch of troopers with almost only plastic...
You just need glue, file and cutters...and a lot of imagination...and a bit of courage also ! And some kind of green stuff may be helpfull to, but not nessessary.

It is quite simple : with wood elfs troopers and DarkElfs troopers (plastic, on foot) you can almost do :

Shades : Fully wood Elfs but the arms (quiver on the cloak may be used to put a crossbow or a sword hilt/grip), use Hooded heads. Painted in Black ( almost...)

Corsairs : D-E : legs, Arms, head. W-E : Torso and cloak ( add some scales ). Need only one hand-weapon actually in hand, as the D-E legs include a sword in scabbard. Can also model the mail-dress in scales...

Warriors : W-E legs and heads fit well with D-E torso and arms, it looks more like "light armour".

Exectutors : Well, entirely D-E, just add mail (greenstuff) on the neck and t-shirt sleeves, and somes plates on the dress... Then turn spear into heavy sword... Not the easiest thing to do...

So, here is the cheapest way to scratch build basics and various troopers.

Also : Bretonian Pegasus with Horns may make a good mount...

Fully plastic so less expensive.
Have a look in modelling section for the plastic Executors...
[w]arrior^
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by [w]arrior^ »

well, Im not good at judging my own work, so Ill send some pics later!

Why am I attracted to the DE?; well, I like the look of the models, also I think it is interresting that you can win almost every battle with them if you have the right tactician skills.

After the battle of Skull Pass I thought;" lets make a DE army :) "
and so I started to buy some units.

I just liked the models and skills more of that of any other army

:P
Macdeath
Corsair

Post by Macdeath »

All right then, but in fact, with "the right tactician skills", "you can win almost every battle" with almost every army...

As tactical skills are not just placing and manoeuver your army, but also build up your army...

pre-establshed/defined friendly game : you know what you fight (which army), so you can build your list wiser.

In Tournament : as you may fight against almost every kind of army, well it is more difficult.
Some good combos may fit well in 1500pts, but suck in 2000pts or 3000pts...And some kind of armies are definitly unfited against some others...

Tactic is : choosing the right units and using them wisely.
But it is fun to also sometimes use notably suckings things just because the fluff or the models are so kool to you.

I asked about your modeler talent not concerning the paint, but the assembly of the miniatures...
So the actual number of model you done (your experience) and the kind of models you allready done may be helpfull.

Well, at first you must decide what amount of money you may spend, and your sources of models.
E-Bay ? new models ? Metal or plastic ?

Then, you must decide what to have step by step (oooh ba-bay!!!).

What you do have :
16 Xbowmenwith upgrades (201pts)+ 10 executionners (110 pts)

So you do have 311 pts.

The first army is 500pts (skirmishs games), but in fact, you must head for a 1000pts army.

A nice start is getting plastics regiments (if you like them)
Alsmot 3 boxes...
This allows a strong basic basis of footed troopers.

If you scratch build as i said, well 1 box of Dark Elf warriors and one box of Wood elfs (all in plastic) will allow to have :
Shade (good choice.) and spearmens.

First, you may start with :
2x10 crossbowdruchii (2 units, you lack 4 models)
10 Executors (you have them)

almost 10 shades ( allowing a big unit or 2x5 units) or even 16 ( the ful wood elf box)

Then, the rest may be used to make some 12 spearmen.

You should purchase some metal models depending of your money of course.

Characters..!
Well, one sorceress and a hero is the usual start.
You may find blister with a sorceress and a mounted sorceress (2 model + mount)
If you like the model, take it.

As for the heros.
It is good to start collected various character, some mounted, other not, even if you don't have cavalry, as you may get some one day.

Also, a command blister for your Executors may be nice, as the champion unit is a suitable hero.

The same with every kind of metal commands.
Even if you do not have full units or unit at all, the commands allow to be used as Battle Standard Bearers and heros, as the models are suitable for a starting army.
The musician may be keep awaiting for further or converted for direct use.

After this, well, its up to you...