The black dragon

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Bob_the_grea
Trainee Warrior

The black dragon

Post by Bob_the_grea »

Hey guys and girls.

Im doing a beastie feel DE 2k list, and realy am contemplating
taking a dragon lord.

Just wondered what items youd be tempted to take on him.

thanks alot
gareth
sorry,im a HE player,have been for 8 year. . .
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

http://uk.games-workshop.com/darkelves/ ... racters/2/

I've been thinking of using Rakarth, don't have him yet, but If I was taking a dragon lord in a beast army, it would be him.

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Yeah, if you're going for a pure beast theme, Rakarth is a pretty good buy. If you're wanting something generic, I like to go with defense about all else, myself. My favourite tends to be blood armour, lifetaker, and the heartstone (so he ends up very quickly with 1+ armour and 4+ ward) and give him a lance for combat as its normally enough - 9 S6 attacks should do you just fine. ;)
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Lord myki
Black Guard

Post by Lord myki »

I would go with Rakarth without a doubt!
Mere death is but a blink of an eye,
Death by the Druchii is eternal!
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Imrik has an awesome Dragon. I can say it looks good in black too :P
Vryala Naïlo - WS5 / S5 / T5 / D5 / I4

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Mount: Dark Steed (Blanky), barding, talisman of Protection
Gold: 1735
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Anarin Sarath (2), Basic Ride
Grandmaster ej
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Grandmaster ej »

i was designing a dragon lord list for this years GT but the new VC made my change my mind, one caddy is no where near enough protection from being bogged down by waves of zombies before you can decap his general.

anyway, he was going to look like this;

Lord + Blood Armour, RxB, Sea Dragon Cloak, Crown of Black Iron (cult items not legal in UK), crimson death, shield. something like 562.

crimson death is simply because its almost always good to have a magic weapon nowerdays, (ie, mass cairnewraiths/ethereal vampires etc) and incase he does manage to get charged, for example if he doesnt break the unit he charges, and for things like treemen where you know the combat will be longer than one round.
Chuck Norris does not hunt because the word hunting infers the possability of failure. Chuck Norris goes killing.
Bob_the_grea
Trainee Warrior

Post by Bob_the_grea »

Wow,never even seen that character before, :!:
I realy like the idea of him, And ever soo often might
throw him in the list, But im not over keen on special
characters. I do like the idea of blood armour and the
life taker, A cheap way of getting the save up. But it could
struggle sometimes.

grandmaster - I like th set up you have, and i definatly agree
on one caddy not bieng enough [ my new VC has
13 PD,soo id laugh at just the one] and i agree on
a magic weapon, its a must.

I was thinking of this set up.

Highborn,dragon,sea dragon cloack,crimson death,heartstone,blood armour,shield.

i think thats in his points limit, Though i could remeber the exact cost for
heartstone.
Grandmaster ej

Post by Grandmaster ej »

remember a crossbow for your highborn, even a mundane one, just shoot the smallest weakest thing in the army to get his save up, its not a magic item so u can always take one.
Chuck Norris does not hunt because the word hunting infers the possability of failure. Chuck Norris goes killing.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Blood Armour: 1+ armour save that starts from weak 5+ - 20 points
Full Mundane: 2+ against shooting, 3+/4+ in CC (depending if weapon is 1 or 2 handed) - 18 points and 20 more points to spend on magic

It gets even better if you mount your character on anything that's not monster

I believe Blood Armour is quite weak compared to set of non-magical gear since once you get Blood Armour it's not cost-effective to buy anymore mundane armour considering that each kill you do makes your mundane gear have less effect.

Lord + Blood Armour, RxB, Sea Dragon Cloak, Crown of Black Iron (cult items not legal in UK), crimson death, shield. something like 562.

This lord for example starts off with 2+ AS against shooting and 4+ AS in close combat. 1 kill and his armour can't get any better against shooting... in close combat he shouldn't get hit much but only 2 more kills and the rest of his armour is useless leaving him with 12 wasted points (that's a crossbowelf!)
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Grandmaster ej

Post by Grandmaster ej »

yes but this the only way to get a 1+ save with the crimson death in combat mate, and personally i dont take risks much with a 550 point model
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

I'd rather take lance + Enchanted Shield than Crimson Death + Blood Armour.

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Funnily, dragons are not character hunters, they are meant to break units with flank charge... nothing is supposed to hit you back.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Grandmaster ej

Post by Grandmaster ej »

true but since when has any plan worked all the time? my way has a contingency, you can cause damage when stuff goes wrong and u dont get the charge.

for example when u get charged in the butt by some 30 strong zombie unit that will eliminate ur dragon for the rest of the game cos ur caddy cant stop all the spells.

or u get hit by cairne wraiths, the list goes on. since droping the lance ive never looked back, never regreted it, crimson death is the way forward. in the current book
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

for example when u get charged in the butt by some 30 strong zombie unit that will eliminate ur dragon for the rest of the game cos ur caddy cant stop all the spells.

Doesn't matter what sort of equipment he's got - if that happens he going to be turfed for the rest of the game regardless. Only thing that might save him is losing the dragon and then using steed of shadows to bounce out.

or u get hit by cairne wraiths, the list goes on. since droping the lance ive never looked back, never regreted it, crimson death is the way forward. in the current book

Wraiths and ethereal junk are normally pretty easy to spot and can't normally be raised and plunked down into combat with you in the same turn. Not saying crimson death is a poor choice, mind you, just that it might give you the wrong idea to go hunting ethereal creatures and the like.
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Grandmaster ej

Post by Grandmaster ej »

yeah that was my original point, that im not convinced you can beat VC with a dragon.

also when you think about it ethereal units prettymuch have the same charge range as a dragon, 12 inches + van hels and they ignor all terrain and have 360, thats quite harsh.
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Grandmaster EJ wrote:yeah that was my original point, that im not convinced you can beat VC with a dragon.

US5+ flank charges are quite devastating that relies on CR to survive.
Grandmaster EJ wrote:also when you think about it ethereal units prettymuch have the same charge range as a dragon, 12 inches + van hels and they ignor all terrain and have 360, thats quite harsh.
The Dance can be dispelled (and is very much worth saving DD/a Scroll for). Remains that they:
- can't see over other units
- lack the manoeuvrability to respond quickly (too large a wheel necessary)

I'm only assuming Spirit Hosts here because only a fool would pit his Banshees/Wraith against a Dragon.

Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Grandmaster EJ wrote:yeah that was my original point, that im not convinced you can beat VC with a dragon.

also when you think about it ethereal units prettymuch have the same charge range as a dragon, 12 inches + van hels and they ignor all terrain and have 360, thats quite harsh.

In the old edition you certainly could. I've done it many a time. :twisted: Can't speak for the new edition yet, though it seems to me that vampires can be pretty vulnerable. As to the ethereal units, well, you'd be silly not to be tossing a number of magic missiles their way each turn (but also a good reason to equip the highborn with the lifetaker). Hmmm, maybe I shoudl try it, though I get called cheesy every time I dig the dragon out. Meh. ;)
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Grandmaster ej

Post by Grandmaster ej »

im not talking about spirit hosts, im talking about CAIRNE WRAITHS, in large numbers there a huge problem for any army. and you cant nessearily just 'save dice' because vamps can caste it multiple times, hence the caddy is insufficent
Bob_the_grea
Trainee Warrior

Post by Bob_the_grea »

Yeah, i get that with my high elves, every time the dragon lord comes out to play the small children scream "beardy"
to which i reply by dropping kicking there whiney asses out
the shop door. :D

But there is something about taking a dragon in 2k, Gives you this some what "invincible" feeling

which is misleading to say the least
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

But there is something about taking a dragon in 2k, Gives you this some what "invincible" feeling

which is misleading to say the least

I hear ya. My personal favourite is still having my dragon fried in the first turn by a warp lightning cannon 32" away on the other side of a dense jungle. ;)
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

Misleading? I have only gone against a Dragon once and it defeated my entire army single handedly! Each turn it just charged into the flank of another unit. Not only do they make you feel invincible they make your opponent cower in fear!
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage
Rakarath the beastlord
Trainee Warrior

Post by Rakarath the beastlord »

i play rakarath in my army i find him very handy in tight situations.
Markarth The Shade
WS 4
S 3
T 3
D 4
I 4

Weapons and armour.
short sword, repeater crossbow, shade cloak

"We shall crush our kin and reclaim what is rightfully ours "- Rakarath
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord