First 2k Army vs. VC

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Crazyivan87
Slave on the Altar

First 2k Army vs. VC

Post by Crazyivan87 »

Hi all!
This is my first attempt to make a 2k army with my DEs, have only played 1 match so far since I got them 4 days ago :D The match I played was vs. O&G and it was a complete victory for me. But now Im up against my friends VC. Have to mention that it´s not the first time I face his VC, since I have played against him many times with my HEs :roll: and Im fairly sure about what Im up against.
So this is my army: (These are the models I own so far, so I have spent points on relatively "useless" things, but feel free to comment and exeptions can be made with other "stand in" models)

General:
* Morathi on Sulephet. Heartrender, Focus Familiar and Crystal of Midnight (560p)

Heroes:
* (1) Master on Steed: DeathPiercer, Pearl of Infinite Bleakness(immune to psych) HA, Shield, Halberd and SeaCloak (156p)
* (2) Master on Foot: Armour of Darkness, Soulrender (120)
* Lvl 2 Sorc: 2 x Dispell Scrolls (185p)

Core:
* Crossbowmen x 10 (100p)

Special:
* Black Guards x 15: FC, Banner of Haeg Graef (ASF) and Ring of Hotek (290p) (2) Master on foot joins BG unit.
* Cold One Knights x 5: FC, Banner of Murder (AP) (200p) (1) Master on Steed joins CoK unit.

Rare:
* 1 x RBT (100p)

PD: 8 minimum, depends if I go Dark and PoD spell
DD: 5 + 2 Scrolls
Points: 1911 (As I said, I have used the models I own so I have some points left to spend in this army when i buy more)

Tactic:
Well, Morathi will sit back providing LD 10 when needed, and with the lance she can still charge lonely Vampire mages, and together with the lvl 2 caddie they will shut down the spells that goes trough the Ring of Hotek radius. Morathi carries the Crystal aswell to remove 1 spell before battle.
The Xbows are there to shoot down Zombieunits so they cant be ressed again with 1 dice. The Master on foot joins the BG unit for more hitting power and will provide an excellent anvilunit. May swap him for a Master on Steed with Caledors Bane if I´m facing his Black Coach army and go hunting chariots with S7 attacks :twisted:
The CoK unit will most certanly charge his Blood Knights, so it feels good with 9 S6 attacks with AP, and 3 of them are KB... 8) The tactic is to charge them ASAP, and it feels good that the unit is Immune to Psych thanks to Heros Pearl.

So guys and gal´s, feel free to comment!

Cheers!
/CrazyIvan
Coeur de lion
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Coeur de lion »

First of all, welcome to the wonderful world of DE!

I might suggest that the caddy sorceress be dropped down to level 1, as she appears to be ther eonly for the scrolls and the extra level seems like a bit of overkill.

Also, all sorceresses are able to use PoD spell regardless of the lore taken. That spell is not part of Dark Magic. However, I believe Morathi must use Dark, and the caddy is not going to do much casting it seems.

I am not sure about taking on Blood Knights with your CoK. I am not sure what move Blood Knights have but CoK can only charge 14", so BK may have more range and thus are harder to charge unless there is a failed charge.

One good way to take them out of the fight is use their frenzy to a disadvantage and use bait and flee tactics. This is best done with Dark Riders, but it seems you haven't got any just yet.

I fought a battle with VC last week and my BG alone held up a Skeleton block + BSB, Black Knights and Wraiths/Banshees before finally dying. That enabled the rest of my army to gang up on his Grave Guard and then sweep through with combination charges. As BG are so good alone, the master can be either deployed elsewhere (perhaps with a change of equipment to hunt the Black Coach as you mention).

Anyway, these are just thoughts, you know your opponent and what he may take far better than I do :)
Crazyivan87
Slave on the Altar

Post by Crazyivan87 »

Thnx for reply!

Well, the plan with the CoK unit is that even if I will have the first round, I will give it to my friend (have some special rules 8) ) and hope that he plays like normal = move with his units at full speed. That way, Im quite sure that my CoK can charge him.
Was planning on lure them aswell like you said, but I dont have any models that are up for the task, so it will be a straight forward attack!

Do you have any suggestion of another special char? Since I own Morathi this was my choice, but do you have some char that really performs well in many situations?

Cheers!
/CrazyIvan
Coeur de lion
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Coeur de lion »

For me, I used Lokhir Fellheart in a unit of frenzied corsairs against VC and they took on the Grave Guard initially before getting help from the Hydra and Dark Riders. His rerolls to wound and an extra attack is good against a ranked up block of skeletons or whatever.

Malekith isn't bad and he did ok for me once, but maybe not totally worth 600 points. Shadowblade is either really really good (when he assassinates the opposing general) or really bad (fails to kill general and dies, or has to deploy somewhere less exciting)

I haven't tried Malus yet, so not sure about him.