2000pts - Love Close Combat

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Jaina
Slave (off the Altar)

2000pts - Love Close Combat

Post by Jaina »

Hello everybody.
It's been a long time since I decided to submit you a Dark Elves list of mine, which I plan to play on tournaments.
I'm fond of Close Combat since the new edition of Dark elves, so i don't use neither crossbows warriors nor repeater bolt throwers.
The biggest problem I meet with this list, is that I have very few units. But enough talking, here's the baby :
(PS : I'm French, and I only have the french version of the army book, so some translations might be wrong. Sorry in advance :p)

Characters :

Dreadlord (225)
Soul Render, Pendant of Kaeleth, Regen armour

Master (208)
BSB hydra, cold one, heavy armour, sea dragon cloak

Death Hag (200)
Cauldron of Blood

Sorceress (150)
level 1, 2 dispel scrolls.

Core :

6 Dark Riders (117)
Crossbows, musician

6 Dark Riders (117)
Crossbows, musician

10 corsairs (100)
Repeater handbows

6 harpies (66)

5 harpies (55)

Special :

6 Cold one Knights (262)
Full command, ring of hotek, banner +1d3 combat result

11 Black Guards (213)
Full Command, Hag Graef banner

6 shadows (102)
2 hand weapons, crossbows

Rare :

1 war Hydra (175)

TOTAL : 2000pts

About strategy, corsairs are deployed in front of Black Guard, to protect them from shooting, and harpies do the same with cold ones. General goes with BG, protecting them from heavy cavalery (S6 perforant, ASF), and CoK are meant to go against big infantery units or cavalery. Hydra banner gives them a lot of additional attacks, and some more with the Cauldron. If it's against cavalery, Cauldron gives them critical hit. Ring of hotek protect them against magic spells, and protects also the harpies during the first rounds.

Two weaks points in this army are, to my mind, the few amout of units, even if BG and CoK hit very hard, and the lack of magic defence. One lvl1 sorceress only (even with the two scrolls and the ring, i find it's weak).

So, don't hesitate to give your opinion about this list, and don't hesitate either if you have any suggestion to make.

Thanks ;)
22over7
Dark Rider

Post by 22over7 »

Welcome to D.Net, I must say that your english is very good for a non-native.

It looks like a good list. Some standard elements in there.

Some little things:
Cheap upgrades to your Dreadlord: SDC for 6pts.
Cheap upgrades to your Master: Sheild and Lance for 6pts.
I (and it now appears pretty standard) to go with Great Weapons rather than Additional Hand Weapons on shades, especially with back up flexibility from the Cauldron.
If you are really concerned about magic then adding a Null shard to your BG champion for 15pts would help protect a relatively expensive unit and character.
You could get the points for all this (as a suggestion) by dropping the musicians on the BG and CoKs and dropping one of the shades.
Also I assume you mean 5 not 6 Dark Riders.
When a young Malekith failed to complete his maths homework, Morathi was overheard saying to his friends "He's not the future Pheonix King, he's a very naughty boy".

DE 7ed W6/D3/L6
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Marauder mitch2 »

Exactly as Vaughan says, but give the BG champion Crimson Death because with ASF and S6 he is a dicing machine. To get the points drop the Std of Slaughter to a warbanner, more reliable and a Harpy.
DJ Dizzy Posted: Jul 1 2009, 08:13 PM

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,989

My daemon record is 2 wins and 12 losses... Yep, I suck at warhammer
Jaina
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Jaina »

Thanks for advices ;)

SDC for Dreadlord, I don't find this useful, because i'm only based on the pendant and the regeneration. The armour save is always cancelled by high strenghts, so i think it's a waste of points to equip it. Even if it's cheap.
But I romise I will try it.

About the additional equipment of the BSB, I must admitt that I just forgot it. I'm used with BSB which aren't allowed to get further equipment, except a banner.

I prefer shades with 2 hand weapons than great ones, fisrt because it's less costly, and then because I never need such a high strenght. And if there's a problem with the safety of the Cauldron, shades can charge with critical hit (given by the cauldron), and will still have a good number of attacks, thanks to those weapons.
But again, I have to try this also.

Crimson Death to the BG champion seems a good idea. Actually, I prefer this more than null shard, because corsairs are there to prevent BG from ennemies magic spells. And after a turn or two, even if corsairs are dead, BG is able to charge (or be charged, i don't care). And don't forget that my opponent can chose to target harpies and CoK instead of BG.
Well, i'll try Crimson Death.

About the Riders, i'm used to play them by 6. That's in order to get enough unit size to be able to cancel ennemy ranking bonus.
Why do you think it's better to play only 5 of them in each DR unit ?
22over7
Dark Rider

Post by 22over7 »

Jania wrote:About the Riders, i'm used to play them by 6. That's in order to get enough unit size to be able to cancel ennemy ranking bonus.
Why do you think it's better to play only 5 of them in each DR unit ?

At 117pts you have only paid for 5 that's why :).

It really depends what you are going to use them for. At 6 or 5 they are still pretty manouverable, so it comes down to personal preference but that is going to be 44pts you'll have to find now. :(

FYI: "Critical Hit" I assume is the literal translation of "Killing Blow" used in the english book.
When a young Malekith failed to complete his maths homework, Morathi was overheard saying to his friends "He's not the future Pheonix King, he's a very naughty boy".

DE 7ed W6/D3/L6
Jaina
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Jaina »

Oh, damn you're right. I paid only 5 of them, not 6 !
And yeah, it might be Killing Blow. Thank you, i didn't know the translation. I just tried with what i knew... Might be wrong :

So, here's the list with the few changes. The strategy will remain the same, except that BG will strike stronger, and BSB will be more protected. But I refused to change Shades :

Characters :

Dreadlord (225)
Soul Render, Pendant of Kaeleth, Regen armour

Master (214)
BSB hydra, cold one, heavy armour, sea dragon cloak, Shield, Cavalery Lance

Death Hag (200)
Cauldron of Blood

Sorceress (150)
level 1, 2 dispel scrolls.

Core :

5 Dark Riders (117)
Crossbows, musician

5 Dark Riders (117)
Crossbows, musician

10 corsairs (100)
Repeater handbows

5 harpies (55)

5 harpies (55)

Special :

6 Cold one Knights (244)
Champion, ring of hotek, Banner, warbanner

11 Black Guards (231)
Champion, Crimson Death, banner, Standard of Hag Graef

6 shadows (102)
2 hand weapons, crossbows

Rare :

1 war Hydra (175)

TOTAL : 1985pts

Maybe I should let musicians in CoK and BG. It brings me to 2000pts exactly... Now I don't know what to add. Extra BG ? Extra harpie ? (extra half CoK ? :P )
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Marauder mitch2 »

I think the regen armour might be overkill, try the armour of Darkness for a 1+ armour save. With the rest of the points you can get a Cold One champion and give him biting blade for another magic weapon.
DJ Dizzy Posted: Jul 1 2009, 08:13 PM

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,989

My daemon record is 2 wins and 12 losses... Yep, I suck at warhammer
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Salut Jaina! Bienvenue sur Druchii.

One of the good aspects of discussing here on D.net, for non English native speakers is that it forces us to practice that foreign language.
The difficulty is increased with the use of many "technical" words related to DE and WHB.
Fortunately, there is a thread made by tmr with a lot of help.
Click & see => D.R.A.I.C.H. - Complementary material
there's a glossary and even a link to a French translator. Plus much more!

For 15pts, you could find a place for a null shard (=abraxas) on the dreadlord.
Otherwise your list seems very playable to me.

Au fait, où est-ce que tu joues, la Démente?
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Jaina
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Jaina »

Yeah, sure, it helps me a lot to improve my English. That's a fact !
I think it's a reason why i will prever druchii.net than the other warhammer forums in french. (And this one is only for DE... Love !!!)

I will take a look at DRAICH, thank you for the link.

About the 15pts left,I can't have a null shard on my Dreadlord, because it's a talisman, and he has already pendant of Kaeleth... I think I will hire an extra BG. It will make the job, I think.

Anyway, I play in Rouen But currently, i'm in Romania until May 2nd, without my figures (but with my army book :p). So I can't play for the moment :(

And how do you know that i'm called "la Démente" ?