2250 Cult of Khaine

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Caboose
Warrior

2250 Cult of Khaine

Post by Caboose »

Hey all, this is my first shot at making a Khainite list and would love any constructive criticism that you all can offer. It's a friendly game, and my gaming group doesn't mind when the list is over by a few points, so don't freak out when you see it's at 2254. lol ;)

I've been wanting to do this for a long time and I finally have the models. haha I REALLY want to stick as close to "home" (a true Khainite list) as possible....but...bah. Let's just get down to it. haha

General
350pts - Crone Hellebron

Heroes
200pts - Death Hag - CoB

290pts - Death Hag BSB w/ Ruin of Khaine, Manbane, Banner of Nagarythe (Was originally the Banner of Hag Graef, but thought this would be more useful army wide)

155pts - Sorceress (lvl 1) w/ 2x Dispell Scrolls

166pts - Assassin w/ Additional Hand Weapon, Rune of Khaine, Manbane, Cloak of Twilight

Core Units
175pts - Witch Elves (15) w/ F.C.

Special Units
223pts - Executioners (14) w/ F.C., Banner of Murder (Although I have been tempted to swap this out for War Banner)

Rare Units
175pts - War Hydra
175pts - War Hydra

Grand Total: 2254

Now, I'm not usually the type to take 2 hydras....but I kinda figured that making the army less shooty would make it more "true to its school." But please, any tips would be greatly appreciated. I have been wanting to make a themed army for soooo long, and now I finally can. haha Thank you in advance for your help, advice, and insight! :)
Druchiishootlord
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Druchiishootlord »

Well you can hardly have a Khainite list without some Harpies!

How I would go about getting these is first dropping the Banner of Murder from the Executioners...it's not something that's needed on them. They're already S6. They're the last ones that need something like that. As well with so little magic you will almost never get the Cloak to go off. So I would drop that as well.

Those two drops plus the extra 6 points you have gets you your first unit of Harpies. I would dare say that you need 2 to get the full use of them with almost everything else in the army being of little speed. That would be the way to go.
"Like never before will the weaker race of men tremble before our might."

Lord Yeurl to his captain before a battle in the Old World.

R4V3N wrote:do not question eldacar.

his word is law.
Caboose
Warrior

Post by Caboose »

Thanks DruchiiShootLord!! I will make your recommended changes and see what it looks like! :) MUCH appreciated!

The BoM DID seem a bit "over board." lol But I figured, "What's a Khainite list without it??" lol

Thanks again! If anyone else has a couple proverbial "pennies" to toss my way, it will b much appreciated. :)
Druchiishootlord
Malekith's Best Friend

Thinking about it as well the Banner of Nag on a Death Hag really is best put with a Cauldron. However if you're goign to put her in a unit she may well get a few holes poked in her.

Thusly Hag Graef is probably the better choice for her. You're now saving 90 points. From this you can get that second unit of Harpies, giving you 2 units of 6.

With the 30 extra points I don't know what you could do with them.

his word is law.
Caboose
Warrior

Post by Caboose »

Ok.....How about this....haha The updated version of the murderlicious Khainite list. haha

General
350pts - Crone Hellebron

Heroes
200pts - Death Hag - CoB

200pts - Death Hag BSB w/ Ruin of Khaine, Manbane, Standard of Hag Graef

155pts - Sorceress (lvl 1) w/ 2x Dispell Scrolls

166pts - Assassin w/ Additional Hand Weapon, Rune of Khaine, Manbane

Core Units
----> Hellebron and Sorc

----> CoB behind it

----> Assassin

66pts - Harpies (6)

66pts - Harpies (6)

Special Units
223pts - Executioners (14) w/ F.C.
----> BSB

Rare Units
175pts - War Hydra
175pts - War Hydra

Grand Total: 2247

What do you think? ;)
Last edited by Caboose on Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Druchiishootlord
Malekith's Best Friend

That's a bit more of a compact list. Now where do you plan on putting who character-wise? quite a bit better than before.

his word is law.
Caboose
Warrior

Post by Caboose »

DruchiiShootLord wrote:That's a bit more of a compact list. Now where do you plan on putting who character-wise? quite a bit better than before.

The BSB will most likely end up in the Executioners unit, nothing like GW's with ASF. :P

Hellebron will join up into one of the WE units, with the Sorc., and the Assassin hangs out in one of the WE units without characters....That was my general thought on it. Though it could change depending on how my opponent sets up.

I edited my latest list to show possible character positions. :)
Caboose
Warrior

Post by Caboose »

Well, I took this against the Lizzies tonight....haha Dii pretty well if I don't say so myself. Crone died....but hey, by battles end I still had the following standing:

A unit of Harpies (Minus 2)
My Executioners (Minus 4)
Both Hydra's (One untouched, the other took two wounds)
The Cauldron (Untouched)
My Assassin and his WE unit (WE unit was at about 60% and he had 1 wound)
The Sorceress....and.... (She took a wound)
Death Hag BSB (Untouched)

lol I was rather impressed with the list if I don't say so myself. haha

Thanks for the "tune up," ShootLord. ;) Thought I'd let ya know how it did first time 'round. :P
Druchiishootlord
Malekith's Best Friend

Only problem though friend is that the Sorceress can't join a WE unit. The WE are Khainite and the Sorceress is not. So you will have to find another way to make use of her without putting her in a unit.

his word is law.
Caboose
Warrior

Post by Caboose »

DruchiiShootLord wrote:Only problem though friend is that the Sorceress can't join a WE unit. The WE are Khainite and the Sorceress is not. So you will have to find another way to make use of her without putting her in a unit.

Doh!! Good point....Well, a small mistake on my part. Well, the only good thing was she didn't do anything other than dispel a few spells. I guess I could always just hide her behind a block of troops. She will be nice and hidden. haha

I forgot to tell ya, all he had left on the table was his lord on the Carny. lol Nothing else. haha
Druchiishootlord
Malekith's Best Friend

That is not a bad result friend not at bad result at all.

But yes I think that the best place to hide her is between units. Though when battle closes you really need to get her out of there just in case.

his word is law.
Caboose
Warrior

Post by Caboose »

One thing I DID notice that REALLY sucked was the fact that Hellebron has NO armor save whatsoever. lol I was a bit shocked to find that out. But hey, she tore it up before she died. lol
Thora
Trainee Warrior

Post by Thora »

Maybe you should put Hellebron in the ASF-Unit with the BSB. Then its something like everything in 1 Unit but she may survive longer.
If you can get the points for some shades it could be helpfull to slow down the enemy before running into him :)
Druchiishootlord
Malekith's Best Friend

I definitely suggest against putting all your eggs into that Executioner basket. It's a unit with little armor and even though it has ASF it's very easily taken down. I'd say keep her in a unit of her own and spread out the power of the army. The more threats that are on the field the more targets your opponent has to target to take down. It will just take some creative character positioning within the unit and timing of challenges and such to keep her alive longer.

his word is law.
Caboose
Warrior

Post by Caboose »

thora wrote:Maybe you should put Hellebron in the ASF-Unit with the BSB. Then its something like everything in 1 Unit but she may survive longer.
If you can get the points for some shades it could be helpfull to slow down the enemy before running into him :)

The thought had honestly crossed my mind during placement due to his setup....But I still had a problem putting everything in that one unit, to which, I am glad I didn't to be honest. Though she died, she was the key to breaking through the middle of his line. Also, while she was alive, he had a hard time trying to figure out what he was going to cast at and shoot at. Her unit survived because he never focused fire and was too afraid to cast at her because of the 4+ dispell on first go 'round. haha

So, though she would have gained ASF, it would have screamed, "blow this unit up!!" lol So the balance truly did work in my favor. The only thing I may have done differently with her, was put her in the WE unit closest to the Old One on Carnosaur just to have a shot at annihilating his general and chicken. lol

Either way, I am EXTREMELY pleased with the outcome of the battle. haha He was all butthurt when my Execs took his charge and murdered his Cold Ones, he REALLY got buttsore when he issued a challenge and expected me to accept with my BSB. haha Instead the Exec Champ stepped up to the plate and in one clean blow, severed his heroes head from body. He also cried when he saw upward of 20+ KB attacks (thank you CoB haha), and he cried when my assassin laid down the law on one of his steggies. lol But the MVP award goes to my second hydra. Despite being rear charged by his other stegadon, he survived the lance charge (only took a wound) and dealt some mean damage back to pull the victory and chase it down. haha

Sorry, I don't normally say stuff about opponents "crying" and whatnot about games, but this guy is "one of those guys." Always blaming something to take away from my victory, as opposed to just saying I played well and earned my win. Rather it was his "crappy die rolls and things not going his way. (For the last 4 matches I have played him)" haha Granted, I have been on the side of crappy rolls, but I ALWAYS tell my opponent he played well regardless of whether I won or lost and I shake their hand. They earned the right to enjoy their victory a bit. ;)

Anyway....I was happy with the lists performance and am looking forward to seeing how it performs again in the next battle. :)
Ewd
Slave on the Altar

Post by Ewd »

As you can tell from my other post on the Khainite list...I am pretty new and interested in a Khainite army. How do you usually deploy your units, and how have you found best to use them?

Sorry this is such a broad/open-ended question...I am trying my best to learn. :)
Caboose
Warrior

Post by Caboose »

ewd wrote:As you can tell from my other post on the Khainite list...I am pretty new and interested in a Khainite army. How do you usually deploy your units, and how have you found best to use them?

Sorry this is such a broad/open-ended question...I am trying my best to learn. :)

haha Not a problem at all. ;)

Honestly, my deployment is based off of my opponents. Knowing what is in my list/units, I try and provide myself with the best match up, allowing me to gain the advantage. For example, knowing the potential of my Execs, I lined them up with his Cold Ones. Knowing that I will ASF with great weapons takes away his advantage of mobility. Despite the elves higher movement rate, cavalry will almost always have a better chance of the charge.

I wasn't sure how effective the harpies would be, but they proved their worth. Not on the battlefield, but in his head. haha I had them on opposite flanks and just flew them straight across, just hoping to use them as flanking support. They got shot and casted at (as opposed to other things) and he was concerned about them all battle long. For their points, they didn't do any damage on the field, but they won the mind war. ;)

For me, it's about knowing what YOU want to do and figuring out what HE/SHE wants you to do. In my situation, he was trying to set me up on charges that seemed obvious, but would leave me open for a flank. Instead, I marched, rather than charge, my hydra past his LOS and BBQed some lizards. ;) Took out all but 5 skinks and wounded the Krox. I charged when I wanted to and not when he wanted me to. Never underestimate the element of surprise, which can happen when you don't do what is expected of you. lol

This was my first attempt at a purely Khainite list and I must say, it was a blast to play. The CoB is EXTREMELY handy in giving WE's a save when they would normally receive none. Although it's a lot of points, I can see how having two Cauldrons can be useful. :)

I hope I helped you out with your question a bit. The Cauldron can turn your typical witch elf unit into a serious force to be reckoned with. lol Although, as a heads up, the two major downsides to the Khainite List are: 1.) No armor saves, except what the CoB gives and 2.) Very little magic defense. So you have to use your scrolls and Dispell Dice wisely.

I am sure there are more experienced players than I that can give you better advice, but this is just my 2 cents. ;) I just hope I was able to help ya out. Good luck with your Khainite Army! More death for the god of murder! :twisted:
Toxicsnot
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Toxicsnot »

Hey Caboose, I must say I really like the army list you got there. And i'm happy to hear its working well!

I've been looking around for ideas on making a Cult of Khaine style list myself. Did the two units of 6 harpies suffice in warmachinehunting/dictating enemy movement? I've posted an army list today, its similar to yours but without Hellebron, instead i've got a Supreme sorceress to lead the army/protect them from magic. W/ 2 big blocks of witches/execs supported by 2 smaller flank-lines of witches/execs. Have a look and see what you think of that variation! :)
Caboose
Warrior

Post by Caboose »

ToXiCSnoT wrote:Hey Caboose, I must say I really like the army list you got there. And i'm happy to hear its working well!

I've been looking around for ideas on making a Cult of Khaine style list myself. Did the two units of 6 harpies suffice in warmachinehunting/dictating enemy movement? I've posted an army list today, its similar to yours but without Hellebron, instead i've got a Supreme sorceress to lead the army/protect them from magic. W/ 2 big blocks of witches/execs supported by 2 smaller flank-lines of witches/execs. Have a look and see what you think of that variation! :)

The Harpies did more psychological damage to the Lizard player than anything else. lol Although, against any other army, they will work quite well as warmachine hunters without a doubt. Harpies are a VERY useful troop choice. IMO. :)

I liked your list a lot. haha Let me know how it works out for you. Hopefully you will give them hell and sacrifice them to Khaine! haha :twisted: