3000 point list vs Beasts of Chaos...2nd list added

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Old_crow
Trainee Warrior

3000 point list vs Beasts of Chaos...2nd list added

Post by Old_crow »

Okay, so a friend of mine is practicing for the 'Ard Boyz tournament and has enlisted my help to test his list. His army is comprised of chariots and spawn, which start on the board and then the bulk of his forces, comprised of beastmen and hound units supported by shamans, come on in ambush.

So here is what I have to throw at him:

Dreadlord
AoES, Shield, SDC, CB, GW, Dragon
This guy will do what he does best: fly around and cause terror, kill chariots and breathe noxious vapors on stuff

Dreadlord
AoD, DP, 3 x Null Talismans, Manticore
His purpose is to add another terror causer in the list and maximize the KB attacks

Master
BSB, PoK, SoM, HA, Shield, SDC, DS
Standard nigh-unkillable BSB who can hold up something nasty for a turn or two. He'll most likely start with the 5 strong COK

Sorceress, Lv 1
2 x Dispel Scrolls, DS
She is there purely to stop his spell that allows him to charge on the turn he ambushes

2 x 5 Dark Riders
Rxb, Musician
March blockers and harrassers

2 x 6 Harpies
March blockers and harrassers

2 x 15 Spears
Shields
I needed to fill my core requirements and I don't have any more DRs. These will guard the RBT battery from the inevitable ambush

6 COK
FC, RoH
Hammer unit.

5 COK
FC
Hammer unit.

2 COCs
Hammer support

Hydra
Hammer unit and terror

3 RBTs
Chariot and spawn targetting
[2999]

So, a decent list for this or could it stand some tweaking?
Last edited by Old_crow on Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pops71408
Shade

Post by Pops71408 »

It would make me nervous when most of my combat units are stupid...beyond that it seems like a good list. Rather different than the normal (which i like). Let us know how the game goes.

The only thing I think you need is a Rending star + manbane assassin, epecially if he has a lot of chariots. This build is always useful
Old_crow
Trainee Warrior

Post by Old_crow »

I have been thinking long and hard about including an assassin but I really don't know where I could shave the points to include him, unless I drop a unit of knights or a chariot and the harpies. The harpies are kind of a question in this list as well. Most of his combat units are going to be beast herds which move like skirmishers, which have 360o LOS which limits the usefulness of the harpies.

The stupidity included in this list concerns me as well but I want to try and get as far forward as possible and remain relatively mobile. I think BG would just get swarmed by his herds and hounds if I went that route. I don't have anymore DR at the moment or else they would fill my core requirements over the warrior units.
Pops71408
Shade

Post by Pops71408 »

Even if your BG get swarmed, they ccan take it especially with SoHG. As for everything else, those are good reasons to do what you have. I'm just paranoid about stupidity because I always fail stupidity tests.

Good luck in your game
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Remember one thing about Beastmen:
If you march block them - they can charge you.
Not exactly a position you want to be in with your fragile dark riders.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Old_crow
Trainee Warrior

Post by Old_crow »

Good point about the beastman herds. The DR basically be there to harrass the herds with Rxb fire while staying out of charge range of the herds and then maybe zipping in to help the dragon or manticore in combat.

I have been tinkering around with a second list that leans a little more towards magic. It basically drops a DL, puts the Master on the Manti and then includes a Supreme Sorc on a DP and a level 2 Sorc with ToF on DS. This would give me a decent magic phase with 8PD+5DD.

The RBTs ar also on the chopping block as these would be 300 easy VPs when he comes on in ambush. I am thinking about some shades with a rending assassin for some more chariot popping action.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Through use of tactical wheeling, two units of dark riders are more than capable in breaking a herd. And not many people see it coming since those units can be right next to each other at the beginning of the charge.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Old_crow
Trainee Warrior

Post by Old_crow »

Okay, I have crafted a second list and I am pretty happy with it. Again, comments appreciated!

Here goes...

Dreadlord
AoES, PoK, CD, SDC, Dragon [561]
All around nastiness

Supreme Sorceress, Lv4
Blackstaff, Lifetaker, DP [330]
She will fly around and cast spells to support the army and hopefully do some damage to the beastie horde

Master
Blood Armor, Caledor's Bane, Shield, DP [182]
S7 chariot popping goodness

Sorceress, Lv2
ToF, Dispel Scroll, DS [187]
Mobile spell support

Sorceress, Lv2
DSC, Dispel Scroll, DS [197]
Mobile spell support

Assassin
Ahw, Rending Stars, Manbane, Cloak of Twilight [171]
Mobile chariot popping goodness and all around pain in the butt for the beasties. He may also get assigned to deal with the spawn.

3 x 5 Dark Riders
Rxb [330]
They will harrass the beasties with rxb fire and combo charge herds, possibly in support of the DL or Master

20 Warriors
FC, Shields, Warbanner [180]
Adds some SCR to the list and can protect the flank of either the BG or WE

2 x 5 Harpies [110]
Primary duty is to screen the Witches so they charge what I want them to. Secondary mission is to bait the spawn away from the main fight.

6 COK
FC, Std of Slaughter [237]
Hammer unit.

15 Black Guard
FC, SoHG, Soulrender [280]
Main infantry unit. Hopefully it'll be able to holf the beasties up and inflict some damage on the herds.

12 Witch Elves
Hag, Std, Banner of Murder, Witchbrew [190]
These ladies will hopefully be able to inflict some serious hurt on the low armor beasties with their frenzied, hatred fuelled, AP attacks. The witchbrew is also nice because it will negate his main strengths...ranks and outnumbering.

Hydra [175]
Because, you know...you gotta have one!

3000 on the dot.
11PD+2 Bound Spells, 6DD
Pops71408
Shade

Post by Pops71408 »

I think thins list will be much more affective. You have enough mobile units to deal with the ambushers. Your 2 terror causers will ruin your opponents day since they have a rediculously low ld.