Assassin Team

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Irtehdar
Assassin

Assassin Team

Post by Irtehdar »

Firstly yes Im aware that Im crazy.
Im going to attend an Indy tournament in the near future and well... Time for my Druchii to march into battle.
Ive done 2-3 Assassins running around like individual models and teamworking quite afew times and they got potential. But Now I wanna take it up a notch.
I came up with the idea while being bored waiting for my laundry.
Firstly I cackled madly for a moment. Then I started thinking about the idea and the potential behind such a list. Then a cackled abit louder.

Master - RoH, full mundane, lance, CO - 149
Sorc - 2x DS - 150
5 WE's - Hag, Manbane - 85
10 RxB - 100
10 RxB - 100
10 RxB - 100
Assassin - ToD, RoK, xhw - 151

Total - 1996

My thought was to reveal the Assassins right away and run them as individual models behind a meatscreen of Witches.
The Assassins can certainly dish out the pain in big enough numbers that they wont need to worry about retalitory attacks or SCR.
Im not aiming at winning every battle (I know this list got flaws) but am I going to get slaugthered in every battle?
Daddy! I sorta kinda had an accident... I was playing with my slave and it sorta... Umm... It's arm fell off!
*sobs*

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"

Any idiot can measure strenght. Against properly played MSU you must measure something you cannot see.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Against any army with a decent gun or missile line (or even magic), basically yes. Particularly if they have a hill. The Witch Elves - with zero armour save and T3 will get wiped out in turns 1 and 2, leaving the assassins to become pin cushions in turn 3. Even the RxBs will die quick and fast, as they have just 6+ saves.

Against non gun or missile armies you may do okay, but it's still very high risk.

I like the idea of themed armies, but think it's best not to take them as far as this. I'd knock out a few assassins and take a few more rank and file troops (a couple of blocks of warriors with shields for example). That would give the enemy additional targets to worry about and you could use the actual units to prevent the assassins from missile fire etc, rather than relying either on small units of WEs to act as screens or protecting units.

That's just imo though.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Dumbledore
Dark Rider

Post by Dumbledore »

Maybe use corsairs instead of witches. Wouldn't witchbrew be better than manbane on the hags? That way it makes your assassins somewhat SCR-immune (outnumber at least, flanks etc)
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

If you want a dozen assassins, I would run a pair of 20-strong warrior units in there too. As soon as the assassins are revealed, they all run to the warrior units, giving an entire front rank of assassins in each.

To be really mean, I would equip all the assassins with rending star/manbane combo. 5 assassins all throwing 3 'miss-on-one' shots at T+2 is a daunting prospect... And that's just one unit.

Take a cauldron hag as the general if you want the option of killing blows, Muahahahahaha!
Linkinhearts666
Dark Rider

Post by Linkinhearts666 »

To be really mean, I would equip all the assassins with rending star/manbane combo. 5 assassins all throwing 3 'miss-on-one' shots at T+2 is a daunting prospect... And that's just one unit.

Take a cauldron hag as the general if you want the option of killing blows, Muahahahahaha!

haha now thats beastly!

I like your idea! I wouldnt really say that its incredibly practical to all ends and purposes but I definately think it would be a hell of a laugh to play with! And hey, isnt that what gamings about??
Ayxxia the Shade is hiding in the shadows and waiting to attack...

Best way to get rid of a treeman is wait until the owner has it on the table in front of him and then kick him very hard in the groin from behind. When he doubles up and smacks his face intoit, he should wreck the treeman and it will teach the little bastard not to run a treeman at 750

Its the Druchii way of gaming!
Thenick18
Assassin

Post by Thenick18 »

sulla wrote:If you want a dozen assassins, I would run a pair of 20-strong warrior units in there too. As soon as the assassins are revealed, they all run to the warrior units, giving an entire front rank of assassins in each.

Only 1 assassin is allowed per unit of infantry sorry to pop that idea with stars. Its under the assassin rules in the army book.
Irtehdar
Assassin

Post by Irtehdar »

Well my idea was that my army would be basically played like any other MSU army as it is essentially 15 small units.
The 3 crossbow units camp my deployment zone and hold those 2 table quarters meaning the enemy has to send something after them. The witches gets shot to pieces and I attempt to get the assassins into the blind angles between the enemy units while something is still alive. And from there play it MSU style.

Im not into putting multiple Assassins into a unit. If theres 20 warriors and 5 assassins in a unit it takes abit of shooting and all 5 Assasins just ran off the table.

This is my regular gaming group and I know theres gonna be armies like O&G, WE and Khemri in there too. I just want to screw with the guys and say ''I have an Assassin here, here, here... and two over here! And this one here too!''

And I know this is not a cheese I.W.I.N. army.
Daddy! I sorta kinda had an accident... I was playing with my slave and it sorta... Umm... It's arm fell off!
*sobs*

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"

Any idiot can measure strenght. Against properly played MSU you must measure something you cannot see.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Take a COB DH for general.
Then the assassins become stubborn Ld 10 who can challenge?
Plus all these stubborn WE around?

Alas, the Banner of Nagarythe costs too much and requires a BSB so that would mean many less assassins, otherwise I would have suggested it as well.
Last edited by Calisson on Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Nathan mcduck
Warrior

Post by Nathan mcduck »

thenick18 wrote:Only 1 assassin is allowed per unit of infantry sorry to pop that idea with stars. Its under the assassin rules in the army book.

As far as I understand the assassin rules, only one can be hidden in a unit. There's nothing stopping you from joining multiple (already revealed) assassins to a unit during battle.
Thenick18
Assassin

Post by Thenick18 »

Good point, I didn't think about it that way.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

The witches gets shot to pieces and I attempt to get the assassins into the blind angles between the enemy units while something is still alive. And from there play it MSU style.

I assume you're vetoing all hills then? Your opponent will clearly target the single assassins quickly and lethally, worrying about the lesser units later.

It would be one thing if you had enough models on the table to withstand a heavy round of shooting or artillery, but you don't and you won't. Any remotely prepared opponent will pepper this tiny army to dust.

The other thing is that, good though assassins are, they're ultimately not incredible, so even if you do manage to get 2 or 3 into combat, you'll probably still lose. And you will have lost a lot of points before that even happens (every assassin killed by shooting is nearly 200 points lost!).

Yeah, I get that it's supposed to be wacky and fun, but I just don't believe it will work.

The 3 crossbow units camp my deployment zone and hold those 2 table quarters meaning the enemy has to send something after them

No, they won't. They'll realise nearly immediately that if they kill all your assassins and witch elves, they've already won with a solid victory or massacre score and will therefore probably ignore them. If need be, they'll come and round them up later once the rest of the game has been won. Particularly as your range is justr 24", so he could just sit back out of range and wait, while dealing with your assassins and witch elves first.
Slortor
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Slortor »

as Callison said a COB DH for the general is vital in this list i think - making all those assassains stubborn will help a lot for that one round where everythign comes up ones.

It'll be fun to play with sure - I think id have to test it to evaluate just how good it would be though
Name: Khalia D'Vaarko (meaning: Khalia, property of Vaarko)
Height/Weight: 5'6", 8 stone
Other: no distinguishing features, barring the brand of a great house left wrist.
Class: Mage
Equipment: Robes, Dagger, Staff
Skills: Power of Ulgu, Power of Chamon
Stats: Ws3, S3, T3, D4, I5

lrnec wrote: Reality and truth is more brutal than almost any fantasy game