2500 Points (Comp List)

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Jack.Sac.CA
Slave on the Altar

2500 Points (Comp List)

Post by Jack.Sac.CA »

Ezu here! (Sorry about long first post) :oops:

Brand new to the forums however I have read a good 10 – 15 pages deep on the various tactics and list forums. I have learned a ton and you have a fantastic community. I have an extensive gaming background and find myself being a bit of a WAAC type person. I have a hard time walking away from something that makes sense either statically or tactically and adopting something on principle.

Now with that said I don’t like winning through Cheese… You know you have all had to deal with it before; the victory is soured by this or by that.

At our local store Great Escape Gaming they have a massive gaming group. Seeing that I’m getting back into fantasy I figured I would try and create an all comers list that takes the stores big events comp into consideration so I can at least personally know that I created a list within the restrictions of the tournament scene.

My initial list was -17/19comp…yea, not going to work. Come to think of it I have seen no articles on the fact that DE get hammered in comp on almost everything I’ve seen.

Below are the restrictions.

The total number of comp points available in a tournament is 40. Of the total comp points available, 5 points are determined by your opponents. Comp points add directly to your battle score to determine the Best General award and to your overall score to determine Overall award. To determine your comp based on army design follow the instructions below.
Beginning comp = 35

Deduct points for the following:
•-2 For each 5% of points spent on magic items, gifts, and powers (rounded up) after the first 5%.
•-2 Each monstrous creature
•-2 Each Hydra (cumulative with monstrous creature penalty)
•-2 Each Hell Pit Abomination (cumulative with monstrous creature penalty)
•-3 Each Black Coach
•-3 Each Steamtank
•-1 Each five models, or fraction of five models, after 40 in a single unit.
•-4 Any unit that costs more than 20% of the total army points
•-1 for each casting or dispel die added by an item, unit, power or spell that adds, or could potentially add, a power die or dispel die more than once per game or that allows for the casting of additional spells without the use of casting dice. For items that grant a random number of dice, take the average. For items that add per spell cast, count as the number of spells the wizard has to a maximum of -4 per item. (This includes Skaven Doom Wheel, Anvil of power, Slaan Mage-Priest, Sacrificial Dagger, etc. )
•-2 Each 10% of army points spent on war machines after the first 10%
•-2 Each 5% of army points, rounded up, armed with a missile or throwing weapon with a range equal to or greater than 12” after the first 20%
•-4 More army points spent on special selections than core selections.
•-4 Points spent on rare selections is within 20% of points spent on core selections.
•-2 Each unit after the first that has a ward save of 5 or better.
•-1 Each unit after the first that has a ward save of 6 (does not include ward save for hand weapon/shield combo)
•-2 Each 5% of army points, rounded up, spent on special characters after the first 5%.

So that this post does not become too much of a monster there are a few obvious things to note. The first of which is Hydras are brutal on comp. The sac dagger at -4 is certainly not going to happen. Having 2 or more ward saves makes for an additional -2/-4 so gearing my lord and two sorcs from my initial list just got brutal.

I am going to start reworking my list but I had a couple of questions as I am new to Dark Elves and haven’t played in 10 years .

What units play similar roles as Hydras, CoK’s? (I was planning on running my hydras on the flanks to crush CR and protect my flanks from charges by tying up if their force is wider. They are kind of my anvil/hammer protection as a block of spear elves will fall eventually to combined attacks.

By not running dagger for fear of comp, is the Dark Elf magic phase still hardcore with a lvl 4 and a lvl2?

Previous list.
SSorc – Lvl 4 -Sac Dagger – Talisman of Preservation (-4 comp) 320 pts

Dread Lord – Dark Peg – Crown of Command – Armor of Darkness- Pendent (ward) (-2 comp / -4 cause of peg? Is it a monstrous creature?) 280 pts

Sorc – Lvl 2 – Seal of Ghrond – Tome of Furion (-1 comp) 180 pts

Death Hag BSB Cauldron 245 pts

31 Dark Elf Warriors – Full Command - Flaming Banner(mage bunker) 216pts

20 Dark Elf RXB Standard / Musician 235 pts
20 Dark Elf RXB Standard / Musician 235 pts

5 Harpies 55pts
5 Harpies 55pts

5 Shades – AHW 85pts

1 Hydra (-4 comp) 175pts
1 Hydra (-4 comp) 175pts

(-2 comp for magic items over 5%)
-17 or -19… Not going to work

Anyone want to take a crack at a tier 1 list with the comp restrictions? My list will be coming soon.

Thanks,

Ezu!!!!
Camaris
Black Guard

Post by Camaris »

Welcome to druchii.net Ezu!! :)

That is a nasty list of comp restrictions. A Pegasus is a monstrous beast, not a monstrous creature, so it's only -17 to comp. The first thing I would do is to go and look at a typical list that gets fielded in events. -17 may not be so bad if everyone else is fielding a list with -17.

ln order to reduce the comp score, I would start with reworking your magic items; you'll get significant comp reduction as you're getting a total of -9 from that, and you won't have to spend money on more models! I would do this by dropping the seal of ghrond from the lv 2, and dropping all the items off the lv 4. You could then split one of the 20 RXBs down to 2X10 and take away their shields. The idea here is to field both mages in these small rxb units that are not designed to get into combat, thus, potentially negating the need for a ward save. Those mages won't be as good as your sac dagger, but with POD and smart use of those 7 spells, you should be able to make a significant dent in the magic phase.

At this point you will have about 130 leftover points and just a -8 comp for War Hydras. If -8 is an acceptable number, I would recommend using those 130ish points to get a small unit of Witch Elves. Team them up with one of those Hydras in a combo charge against rnf and they should get decent kills.

However, if -8 is still too high of a number, you can drop one of the War Hydras, which will give you about 300ish points. I would recommend spending that on either two small units of COKs, a large unit of COKs a large unit of executioners, depending on what your preference is. All of those units are extremely good can openers, and they will work very well with +1 A bonus from the cauldron. This leaves you with -4 from the one War Hydra, which IMO should be acceptable.

Hope that helps.

cheers,
Camaris
Ichiyo1821
Highborn

Post by Ichiyo1821 »

First of all I love how they mention specific Monsters that get a minus to comp score. I don't see how a Hydra is worth -2 comp more than a Engine of the Gods or even a normal Stegadon with a bolt thrower on top of it... with that out of the way...

Composition hurts but personally I'd rather take that minus to comp score if I really need an item/ unit badly. With your setup you are going magic heavy with a fighty dreadlord whose sole duty I presume since he does not have a weapon is to hold his hardest unit. I would suggest though that you take out one of the Hydras and get an elite unit to put the Dreadlord to give youor list more punch. Magic is powerful but it will not be enough against armies that excel in getting in close hard and fast. I would recommend for the points of one Hydra, a unit of Black Guard or Cold One Knights. And if you really want to maximize your Level 4 and RXBmen, I'd swap the 10 Harpies for 5 more Shades. 2 units of 5 or 6 Shades can really put a dent on your opponents plans. Oh and if you do follow the Dreadlord on BG, you take out the Crown of Command and Give him Crimson Death or Whip of Agony for more hitting power, sure holding a unit down is good, but taking it out is better. :twisted: you might end up fighting Ethereals so a magic weapon helps a lot.
8th Edition

W/D/L
86/1/5

New AB
W/D/L
32/1/0

9th Age
W/D/L

Vae Victis
Character kill count -182

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Armies
Dark Elves
Dark Eldar
Death Korps of Kreig
Ichiyo1821
Highborn

Post by Ichiyo1821 »

First of all I love how they mention specific Monsters that get a minus to comp score. I don't see how a Hydra is worth -2 comp more than a Engine of the Gods or even a normal Stegadon with a bolt thrower on top of it... with that out of the way...

Composition hurts but personally I'd rather take that minus to comp score if I really need an item/ unit badly. With your setup you are going magic heavy with a fighty dreadlord whose sole duty I presume since he does not have a weapon is to hold his hardest unit. I would suggest though that you take out one of the Hydras and get an elite unit to put the Dreadlord to give youor list more punch. Magic is powerful but it will not be enough against armies that excel in getting in close hard and fast. I would recommend for the points of one Hydra, a unit of Black Guard or Cold One Knights. And if you really want to maximize your Level 4 and RXBmen, I'd swap the 10 Harpies for 5 more Shades. 2 units of 5 or 6 Shades can really put a dent on your opponents plans. Oh and if you do follow the Dreadlord on BG, you take out the Crown of Command and Give him Crimson Death or Whip of Agony for more hitting power, sure holding a unit down is good, but taking it out is better. :twisted: you might end up fighting Ethereals so a magic weapon helps a lot.
8th Edition

W/D/L
86/1/5

New AB
W/D/L
32/1/0

9th Age
W/D/L

Vae Victis
Character kill count -182

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Armies
Dark Elves
Dark Eldar
Death Korps of Kreig
Jack.Sac.CA
Slave on the Altar

Post by Jack.Sac.CA »

Yea, the comp is brutal. The fact that they consider a hydra even in the same ballpark as the Abomination is redonculous.

So the initial change would be to drop the dagger, drop the seal, drop some magic items off the lord to get under 5%. Frees up a considerable amount of points. With these points I reduce my casting phase, my offense and defensive, and my speed. So, in turn I need to replace the resilencey and offensive power of the hydra.

I can bolster my squad of black guard to help with the anvil issue. I can add CoK for the side charges. Perhaps add offensive items into the lord or reduce him to a hero status and make due with the 50 points.

Currently the 2x20 crossbows were there to wield there shields and act as supporting foces to my low number of models. I feared that i did not have enough troops to stall flanking enemy troops so this way they can shoot the living day lights out of them. Then reform and charge.

Im pretty tired, ill work on the list in the AM.

Thanks for the feedback already guys.

Love this site!